Maximum hard drive size Presario V2000

blues2use

I've searched Google and HP/Compaq and haven't found any info in
regards to the maximum hard drive size that can be installed in this
laptop. It currently has an 80gb WD ATA drive. I'd like to max it out.
Other than recently replacing the video inverter, the laptop has never
given me a problem. I have the RAM maxed at 2GB. The newest bios
available and installed is F27 dated 2006.

Thanks for the help

Ben Myers

On 7/26/2010 10:28 PM, blues2use wrote:
> I've searched Google and HP/Compaq and haven't found any info in
> regards to the maximum hard drive size that can be installed in this
> laptop. It currently has an 80gb WD ATA drive. I'd like to max it out.
> Other than recently replacing the video inverter, the laptop has never
> given me a problem. I have the RAM maxed at 2GB. The newest bios
> available and installed is F27 dated 2006.
>
> Thanks for the help

FWIW, I recently worked on a V2000, the version with an AMD processor.
Its owner had upgraded the hard drive to 160GB, so I know for sure that
this is possible... Ben Myers

Postman Delivers

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 23:41:45 -0400, Ben Myers wrote:

> On 7/26/2010 10:28 PM, blues2use wrote:
>> I've searched Google and HP/Compaq and haven't found any info in
>> regards to the maximum hard drive size that can be installed in this
>> laptop. It currently has an 80gb WD ATA drive. I'd like to max it out.
>> Other than recently replacing the video inverter, the laptop has never
>> given me a problem. I have the RAM maxed at 2GB. The newest bios
>> available and installed is F27 dated 2006.
>>
>> Thanks for the help

> FWIW, I recently worked on a V2000, the version with an AMD processor.
> Its owner had upgraded the hard drive to 160GB, so I know for sure that
> this is possible... Ben Myers

* * *
blues2use,

My delinquent Presario V2000 needs a new bottom case and keyboard, but it
is sporting a 160GB with 6GB of bad sectors that requires Hard drive
rejuvenatory from the Hiren's Boot CD to get it going once every 3
months...

Since the case condition is so bad I will not spend any money to replace
the hard drive with a better one... This was a dropped system that was
discarded by a friend that I managed to salvage, and it runs Mepis 8.0.15
Linux currently...

JR

Junior Member

The Compaq V2000 uses a parallel ATA hard drive (sometimes called IDE), and since that kind of hard drive is an older design, for laptops those are generally only available up to about 160GB. The laptop itself can probably handle a larger size, but finding one for a good price could be tough.