MB won't notice 2nd floppy drive

Zentraleinheit

Does any one here know why (or even if) my Chanitech S1689 notice only one
floppy drive?

I have 2 floppies connected to my system - a 3.5 and a 5.25.

I have FINALLY! be able to get a cable that was long enough to go from the
FDD connector on the MB to the 2 drives.

But, now only one drive is noticed.

Is there a BIOS update/application/driver/command that I am missing?

Or has this MB once again proved to be a bunch of ........................!

John P. Dearing

Zentraleinheit wrote:
> Does any one here know why (or even if) my Chanitech S1689 notice only one
> floppy drive?
>
> I have 2 floppies connected to my system - a 3.5 and a 5.25.
>
> I have FINALLY! be able to get a cable that was long enough to go from the
> FDD connector on the MB to the 2 drives.
>
> But, now only one drive is noticed.
>
> Is there a BIOS update/application/driver/command that I am missing?

Double check the BIOS settings. You'll probably find that there isn't
any option listed for 5.25" drive. That's because they are considered
obsolete.

Many motherboard manufacturers dropped support for 5.25" drives years ago.

Other manufacturers stopped supporting more than one floppy drive. You
could select 5.25" or 3.5" floppy but just one drive (A was supported.

Don't know for sure but it sounds like you've been caught by one of
those design changes.

John
--
John P. Dearing
A+, Network+, Server+

Zentraleinheit

>Double check the BIOS settings. You'll probably find that there isn't
any option listed for 5.25" drive

Yes you can choose either a 5.25 or a 3.5 drive

>Other manufacturers stopped supporting more than one floppy drive. You

could select 5.25" or 3.5" floppy but just one drive (A was supported.

Yet, the manufaucture was kind enought to provide a floppy drive cable for 2
Floppy Drives!

>Don't know for sure but it sounds like you've been caught by one of

those design changes

Once we stop using vacume tubes I knew that technology took a downhill
turn!