*Meaning of "Highest (32 bit)" in Display Properties?

J David Ellis

When XP SP2 Display Properties Settings shows Color quality
as "Highest (32 bit)", what does that mean in terms of
number of bits per RGB channel?

My Dimension 8400 has a Radeon X300 Series display adapter
and a Dell E173FP 1280x1024 display. I want to get a display
& adapter that have a lot more pixels but I don't want to
reduce the number of displayable colors.

My digital camera records 12-bits per RGB channel and
Photoshop edits 16 bits per RGB channel. Can someone tell me
how to translate "...(32-bit)" to bits per RGB channel?

--David

Eddie Aftandilian

"J David Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When XP SP2 Display Properties Settings shows Color quality as "Highest
> (32 bit)", what does that mean in terms of number of bits per RGB channel?

This means each channel gets 8 bits. The extra 8 bits are either wasted or
used for an alpha channel (transparency).

Here's how Wikipedia describes it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#32-bit_color

RnR

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:16:07 -0800, J David Ellis <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When XP SP2 Display Properties Settings shows Color quality
>as "Highest (32 bit)", what does that mean in terms of
>number of bits per RGB channel?
>
>My Dimension 8400 has a Radeon X300 Series display adapter
>and a Dell E173FP 1280x1024 display. I want to get a display
>& adapter that have a lot more pixels but I don't want to
>reduce the number of displayable colors.
>
>My digital camera records 12-bits per RGB channel and
>Photoshop edits 16 bits per RGB channel. Can someone tell me
>how to translate "...(32-bit)" to bits per RGB channel?
>
>--David

Perhaps try to ask in these newsgroups:

rec.photo.digital
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

J David Ellis

Mr. Aftandilian, thank you for pointing out my math is not
so bad as I had thought. :=) Mystery resolved.
--David

Eddie Aftandilian wrote:
> "J David Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When XP SP2 Display Properties Settings shows Color quality as "Highest
>> (32 bit)", what does that mean in terms of number of bits per RGB channel?

> This means each channel gets 8 bits. The extra 8 bits are either wasted or
> used for an alpha channel (transparency).
>
> Here's how Wikipedia describes it:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth#32-bit_color

Tom Scales

"J David Ellis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When XP SP2 Display Properties Settings shows Color quality as "Highest
> (32 bit)", what does that mean in terms of number of bits per RGB channel?
>
> My Dimension 8400 has a Radeon X300 Series display adapter and a Dell
> E173FP 1280x1024 display. I want to get a display & adapter that have a
> lot more pixels but I don't want to reduce the number of displayable
> colors.
>
> My digital camera records 12-bits per RGB channel and Photoshop edits 16
> bits per RGB channel. Can someone tell me how to translate "...(32-bit)"
> to bits per RGB channel?
>
> --David

You definately don't need a new card. Photoshop requires almost no video
card power and 32 bits far exceeds your camera.

Barry Watzman

Well, you can thank him, but I'm not sure it's the right answer.