media center says it cannot detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive properly?

daviswb@earthlink.net

Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center 2002
pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make dvd's of
the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr mwr 20v6 (from
vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says it cannot detect a
video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive properly?
The dvd works fine when I play it on my tv.The movies were originally
recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X Digital Zoom AutoShot Camcorder and i
put the little square video tape into a vcr converter and dubbed them
onto dvd-r blank disc. Am I using the wrong media to try to do this?
What kind of blank dvd's do I need to dub my movies onto to be able to
use xp media center 2002 to make these cool? I have about 20 of the
little tapes to dub to try to edit in to a few dvd's. thanks
Bill

BillW50

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
> Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center 2002
> pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make dvd's of
> the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr mwr 20v6
> (from vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says it cannot
> detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive
> properly? The dvd works fine when I play it on my tv.The movies were
> originally recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X Digital Zoom AutoShot
> Camcorder and i put the little square video tape into a vcr converter
> and dubbed them onto dvd-r blank disc. Am I using the wrong media to
> try to do this? What kind of blank dvd's do I need to dub my movies
> onto to be able to use xp media center 2002 to make these cool? I
> have about 20 of the little tapes to dub to try to edit in to a few
> dvd's. thanks

Did you know some DVD players/burners can only use DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W)?
Notice one has a minus and the other uses a plus! And very few can use
both?

--
Bill

Tony Morgan

In message <459bdcd8$0$5744$(E-Mail Removed)> , BillW50
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com
>> Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center 2002
>> pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make dvd's of
>> the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr mwr 20v6
>> (from vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says it cannot
>> detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive
>> properly? The dvd works fine when I play it on my tv.The movies were
>> originally recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X Digital Zoom AutoShot
>> Camcorder and i put the little square video tape into a vcr converter
>> and dubbed them onto dvd-r blank disc. Am I using the wrong media to
>> try to do this? What kind of blank dvd's do I need to dub my movies
>> onto to be able to use xp media center 2002 to make these cool? I
>> have about 20 of the little tapes to dub to try to edit in to a few
>> dvd's. thanks

>Did you know some DVD players/burners can only use DVD-R(W) or
>DVD+R(W)? Notice one has a minus and the other uses a plus! And very
>few can use both?

Sorry Bill, but MOST can use both.

You can identify what records/plays what at:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters and

Browse through the above and you'll no doubt revise your opinion :-)

--
Tony Morgan

BillW50

"Tony Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> In message <459bdcd8$0$5744$(E-Mail Removed)> , BillW50
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com
>>> Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center
>>> 2002 pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make
>>> dvd's of the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr
>>> mwr 20v6 (from vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says
>>> it cannot detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is
>>> in the drive properly? The dvd works fine when I play it on my
>>> tv.The movies were originally recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X
>>> Digital Zoom AutoShot Camcorder and i put the little square video
>>> tape into a vcr converter and dubbed them onto dvd-r blank disc. Am
>>> I using the wrong media to try to do this? What kind of blank dvd's
>>> do I need to dub my movies onto to be able to use xp media center
>>> 2002 to make these cool? I have about 20 of the little tapes to dub
>>> to try to edit in to a few dvd's. thanks

>> Did you know some DVD players/burners can only use DVD-R(W) or
>> DVD+R(W)? Notice one has a minus and the other uses a plus! And very
>> few can use both?
>>

> Sorry Bill, but MOST can use both.
>
> You can identify what records/plays what at:
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters and
>
> Browse through the above and you'll no doubt revise your opinion :-)

Why bother to revise my opinion?

1) My HP Writer DVD300 only does plus

2) My 2 Apex DVD players only does plus

3) My 2 CyberHome DVR recorders only does plus

4) My 2 Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops only does plus

5) My nephew's Panasonic DVR only does minus

6) My Gateway MX6124 laptop does both

So within a stone throw from me, only one out of six can do both. There
are millions of them out there that only does one or the other. Only in
recent times have they made drives that can do either or. Odds are good,
if it is 2 years or older, it probably only does one of them.

--
Bill

Tony Morgan

In message <459bede3$0$5745$(E-Mail Removed)> , BillW50
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Why bother to revise my opinion?

It's pretty obvious when you say "And very few can use both" - when even
a child could look for him/herself to see that most do.

Clearly if you had a clue (or was man enough to admit you are in error)
you would have had a scan through the thousands of machines at the links
I gave. and you WOULD have revised your opinion.

--
Tony Morgan

BillW50

"Tony Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> In message <459bede3$0$5745$(E-Mail Removed)> , BillW50
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>> Why bother to revise my opinion?

> It's pretty obvious when you say "And very few can use both" - when
> even a child could look for him/herself to see that most do.
>
> Clearly if you had a clue (or was man enough to admit you are in
> error) you would have had a scan through the thousands of machines at
> the links I gave. and you WOULD have revised your opinion.

No Tony! That isn't true at all. And I just looked at your links!

> You can identify what records/plays what at:
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers and
> http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters and

And your list even shows that most can not use both. Here Tony, wake up!
Here is the list of companies that support DVD-

http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml

And here is a list of companies that support DVD+

http://www.dvdrw.com/industry-support.htm

Also see who supports both:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,11...l?tk=wb032904x

I called your bluff Tony! Now live with it!

--
Bill

Richard

Today, PC DVD readers/burners are typically very flexible as are most modern
DVD players for the TV. This was not true several years ago. My new Dell
came with a DVD burner that takes all of the formats in use today. To bad
none play SACD and DVD-A disks, but that's another subject.

Richard.

BillW50

news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Today, PC DVD readers/burners are typically very flexible as are most
> modern DVD players for the TV. This was not true several years ago.
> My new Dell came with a DVD burner that takes all of the formats in
> use today. To bad none play SACD and DVD-A disks, but that's another
> subject.

Yes this is quickly changing. Before 2002, there was no dual format DVD
drives. Sony was the first. And by 2004, most DVD drives were still
single format drives. And by 2006, some are still pushing single format
DVD drives. But I don't believe they can continue being so stubborn.
Hopefully this year (2007), selling single format DVD drives is out and
only dual format DVD drives will be in. But don't bet on it.

--
Bill

Barry Watzman

The answer to your question is potentially really complex. But the
first question I'd ask you is, if you take a commercial DVD (a movie DVD
that you bought in a store), does it play ok in the A105? If so, then
the A105 is probably working ok.

As to why what you are doing doesn't work, again, the answer is
surprisingly complex. But when you make a DVD from analog video, you
are pretty much putting the content into a format that isn't intended
for further editing, and that will have to be "extracted" if you want to
work with it. A further complication is that the format created on many
DVD burners (by which I mean set-top DVD burners) is VERY different from
a video DVD of the type that you buy. Some DVD burners offer you a
choice of formats, some don't, and some make the choice automatically
depending on what type of media you use (and typically the format is
totally different for DVDs burned on "+" media vs. those burned on "-"
media). In fact, you might find that changing from + to - media when
creating the DVD in the set-top DVD burner might resolve your issue.
MAYBE, but NOT because the A105 can only read + or - media, but rather
because the set-top burner is creating two completely different disc
formats depending on the media type (again, MAYBE .... and, again, this
subject, dealt with in depth, is staggeringly complex).

The best way to create DVDs from video tapes is to capture the tapes as
uncompressed AVI files on a PC (not a laptop, for a number of reasons),
edit them with one of the major video editing programs (such as Pinnacle
Studio), and then burn a DVD on the desktop. However, this requires
time, expertise and a lot of processor performance and, especially, disk
space (uncompressed AVI is more than 10GB per hour). Set-top DVD
burners are a compromise that works for some people in some situations
with some other components. But not for everyone in all cases. And if
you want to do any subsequent editing, you are probably better off
keeping everything in an uncompressed AVI format rather than as
compressed MPEG2 files (as they would be on any form of video DVD). But
a laptop usually doesn't have the disk space or processor performance to
deal with this type of video editing.