Memory Bank Failure Question

Boris

My son's E520, Win7HP (originally Vista, then clean custom installed
Win7HP using Win7 Upgrade DVD in Nov. 2010...all legit) , 2GB RAM, had
been intermittently going blue screen with memory dumps scrolling down
the screen, for about a week. Last night, it was more or less continuous
on every reboot.

The front panel diagnostic lights, page 47 of the Owner's Manual, did not
show any problems.

Owner's Manual:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc..._en/NH730A01.p
df

A Safe Mode boot worked intermittently, but would crash in a minute or so
after reaching the desktop. I finally got a stable desktop with a normal
boot, and put the Win7 Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive. I ran setup.exe
from that drive, and did a custom install of Win7. The machine even
spent an hour doing Window Updates, and started to work fine again, no
crashes. But ten minutes later, memory dumps began.

Now, a 1-3 diagnostic front panel light combination appeared, and
indicated "Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or
compatibility error has occurred"

Memory connectors 1 and 3 are occupied with the original dell shipped 1GB
RAM sticks each, totaling 2GB. In the picture on page 68, these are the
memory connectors with the white connecting tabs.

Per page 68:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc..._en/NH730A01.p
df

I removed one stick at a time, and each one worked independantly in
connector 1. If I installed both, one in 1, and one in 3, I got the 1-3
error lights. This indicated to me that the memory modules were ok, but
the memory connector 3 was bad.

Question:
Do memory connectors 1 and 3, both, have to be occupied before installing
any memory in connectors 2 and 4? I could have just tried last night,
but didn't think of this until now.

Any other comments?

I also have an E510, which is nearly identical to the E520, except that
the E520 has SATA optical connectors, can use the next fastest RAM, and
has the next level Intel chipset.

Christopher Muto

On 10/7/2011 12:01 PM, Boris wrote:
> My son's E520, Win7HP (originally Vista, then clean custom installed
> Win7HP using Win7 Upgrade DVD in Nov. 2010...all legit) , 2GB RAM, had
> been intermittently going blue screen with memory dumps scrolling down
> the screen, for about a week. Last night, it was more or less continuous
> on every reboot.
>
> The front panel diagnostic lights, page 47 of the Owner's Manual, did not
> show any problems.
>
> Owner's Manual:
> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc..._en/NH730A01.p
> df
>
> A Safe Mode boot worked intermittently, but would crash in a minute or so
> after reaching the desktop. I finally got a stable desktop with a normal
> boot, and put the Win7 Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive. I ran setup.exe
> from that drive, and did a custom install of Win7. The machine even
> spent an hour doing Window Updates, and started to work fine again, no
> crashes. But ten minutes later, memory dumps began.
>
> Now, a 1-3 diagnostic front panel light combination appeared, and
> indicated "Memory modules are detected, but a memory configuration or
> compatibility error has occurred"
>
> Memory connectors 1 and 3 are occupied with the original dell shipped 1GB
> RAM sticks each, totaling 2GB. In the picture on page 68, these are the
> memory connectors with the white connecting tabs.
>
> Per page 68:
> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc..._en/NH730A01.p
> df
>
> I removed one stick at a time, and each one worked independantly in
> connector 1. If I installed both, one in 1, and one in 3, I got the 1-3
> error lights. This indicated to me that the memory modules were ok, but
> the memory connector 3 was bad.
>
> Question:
> Do memory connectors 1 and 3, both, have to be occupied before installing
> any memory in connectors 2 and 4? I could have just tried last night,
> but didn't think of this until now.
>
> Any other comments?
>
> I also have an E510, which is nearly identical to the E520, except that
> the E520 has SATA optical connectors, can use the next fastest RAM, and
> has the next level Intel chipset.

i would suggest that your first try to remove and reinstall the two
existing memory modules. if you still experience the problem then you
should try just one of the two modules at a time to see if one or both
demonstrate the bad behavior (helping to identify if a module is bad).
if both then you could trying one module at a time using alternate
memory socket (to try to identify if a socket is bad). and yes, you
could try alternatively use the memory from the e510 in the e520 to see
if the problem is with the memory. you can use any single memory socket
or combination of sockets, but for optimal performance matching modules
should be installed in paired sockets as this enables dual channel mode
(simultaneous read/write operations to two modules simultaneously
resulting in some performance enhancement).

Boris

Christopher Muto <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) t:

> [...]
>> RAM, and has the next level Intel chipset.

> i would suggest that your first try to remove and reinstall the two
> existing memory modules. if you still experience the problem then you
> should try just one of the two modules at a time to see if one or both
> demonstrate the bad behavior (helping to identify if a module is bad).
> if both then you could trying one module at a time using alternate
> memory socket (to try to identify if a socket is bad). and yes, you
> could try alternatively use the memory from the e510 in the e520 to
> see if the problem is with the memory. you can use any single memory
> socket or combination of sockets, but for optimal performance matching
> modules should be installed in paired sockets as this enables dual
> channel mode (simultaneous read/write operations to two modules
> simultaneously resulting in some performance enhancement).

Hi, Christopher,

I did just at you suggested. I determined that both e520 modules were
good by using them independently in socket 1. When either module is
placed in socket 3, I get the 1-3 indicator light error, indicating
memory error. I also placed the e520 modules in the e510, and they also
work fine there.

But, even though socket 1 on the e520 shows ok, and I put known good
memory in this socket, sometimes the machine still will not start. When
the power cord is plugged into the back of the machine, the system fan
spins extremely fast, and all I get is a black screen, and I can't hear
any POST activity. If I unplug the power cord, and keep trying,
sometimes it will start. Also, if I put known good memory in sockets 2
and/or 4, the same thing happens...fan runs really fast and gives black
screen, AND I get the 1-3 indicator light error.

When I did a Win7 clean install on the e520, I was not asked to
format/partition, etc. I wonder if I have a bad boot record.

This thing has got me stumped. Now I'm wondering about an intermittent
power supply problem. Guess I could swap the e510 ps with the e520 ps,
but I'm getting tired of this, and I don't really need the e520 now.

Finally, I'm wondering if this is indeed a socket problem on the e520,
what do I eventually do with the machine. I like the machine, and I hate
to junk it. New mb? Is it worth it?

dg1261

Boris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9F7980A72BDEDnospamnospaminvalid@46.4.102. 18:

> Finally, I'm wondering if this is indeed a socket problem on
> the e520, what do I eventually do with the machine. I like the
> machine, and I hate to junk it. New mb? Is it worth it?

The E520 was one of the short-lived models using a BTX form factor, in
which the mobo is anchored to the opposite side (the right side when viewed
from the rear). Finding a replacement mobo is extremely difficult and
expensive. If you can find one at all, it may cost more than buying a new
computer.

dg1261

One other thought is bad capacitors. They could cause that kind of
symptoms, and there was a big lawsuit over Optiplex models with that
problem. I've seen a handful of mid-decade Dells with bad caps, but I
think the E520 models may have shipped after the bad-cap supply chain was
remediated.

Boris

dg1261 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9F798A8267612dgREMOVETHIS1261csco@88.198.2 44.100:

> One other thought is bad capacitors. They could cause that kind of
> symptoms, and there was a big lawsuit over Optiplex models with that
> problem. I've seen a handful of mid-decade Dells with bad caps, but I
> think the E520 models may have shipped after the bad-cap supply chain
> was remediated.

Hmmm...

http://tinyurl.com/44qzopz

Christopher Muto

On 10/9/2011 3:38 PM, Boris wrote:
> [...]

> spins extremely fast, and all I get is a black screen, and I can't hear
> any POST activity. If I unplug the power cord, and keep trying,
> sometimes it will start. Also, if I put known good memory in sockets 2
> and/or 4, the same thing happens...fan runs really fast and gives black
> screen, AND I get the 1-3 indicator light error.
>
> When I did a Win7 clean install on the e520, I was not asked to
> format/partition, etc. I wonder if I have a bad boot record.
>
> This thing has got me stumped. Now I'm wondering about an intermittent
> power supply problem. Guess I could swap the e510 ps with the e520 ps,
> but I'm getting tired of this, and I don't really need the e520 now.
>
> Finally, I'm wondering if this is indeed a socket problem on the e520,
> what do I eventually do with the machine. I like the machine, and I hate

so you have determined that your motherboard has a bad memory socket.
this is a hardware problem that has nothing to do with the software
installed on the machine. the fan usually operates momentarily at high
speed as part of the power on self test (post) but since the machine is
often failing the power on self test it seems to get stuck at a point
where the fan is running at the high speed instead of the normal slower
speed. you can keep using your machine with just the one memory module
installed (without anything installed in the bad socket). that of
course would mean having less memory but it is better to have less
memory and a working computer than more memory and an unreliable
computer. and depending on what size modules that you have you may be
able to get a single large memory module that provides the same total
memory as your two original modules provided. of course you could also
look into replacing the motherboard but your money is probably better
spent on an entirely new system.

> [...]

> installed on the machine. the fan usually operates momentarily at
> high speed as part of the power on self test (post) but since the
> machine is often failing the power on self test it seems to get stuck
> at a point where the fan is running at the high speed instead of the
> normal slower speed. you can keep using your machine with just the
> one memory module installed (without anything installed in the bad
> socket). that of course would mean having less memory but it is
> better to have less memory and a working computer than more memory and
> an unreliable computer. and depending on what size modules that you
> have you may be able to get a single large memory module that provides
> the same total memory as your two original modules provided. of
> course you could also look into replacing the motherboard but your
> money is probably better spent on an entirely new system.

Hi again,

Socket 3 consistenty tests bad, so I can't use 3. Socket 1
intermittently tests bad, as mentioned in sentence one of paragraph two,
and neither socket 2 nor 4 will let me boot on a regular basis. I had
hoped to, as you suggest, put a larger module in any good socket, but it
looks like there's no dependable socket.

I appreciate the feedback, Christopher.

news:Xns9F7A52EB197A5nospamnospaminvalid@46.4.102. 18:

> Hmmm...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/44qzopz

Wow, good price! I tried to find a replacement E510 mobo a couple years
ago, and the only thing I could find was a used eBay part for well over
$300. (Needless to say, the owner decided to buy a new computer instead.)

Christopher Muto

On 10/10/2011 5:43 PM, Boris wrote:
> [...]

>> socket). that of course would mean having less memory but it is
>> better to have less memory and a working computer than more memory and
>> an unreliable computer. and depending on what size modules that you
>> have you may be able to get a single large memory module that provides
>> the same total memory as your two original modules provided. of
>> course you could also look into replacing the motherboard but your
>> money is probably better spent on an entirely new system.
>>

> Hi again,
>
> Socket 3 consistenty tests bad, so I can't use 3. Socket 1
> intermittently tests bad, as mentioned in sentence one of paragraph two,
> and neither socket 2 nor 4 will let me boot on a regular basis. I had
> hoped to, as you suggest, put a larger module in any good socket, but it
> looks like there's no dependable socket.

oh that is too bad. it was worth a shot to troubleshoot. at least you
know the memory modules themselves are ok, as is the processor, power
supply, hard drive etc. but looking at $70 or more for a replacement
board may not be the best way to spend your money. the problem with the
dell btx cases iirc is that the case does not have a removable i/o panel
for the motherboard... meaning you need another board with the exact
same compliment of i/o ports in the same locations or it won't fit (or
you will be cutting the case to make it fit). if you are inclined to
replace the motherbaord then you may be inclined to build your own from
scratch. newegg.com has many dyi kits or you can pick and choose your
own components. whatever you choose to do, good luck.