Memory max - Compaq Presario 5000

playstation60

I have a Compaq Presario 5000, that I traded a busted laptop to my dad
for. As far as I'm aware he did not do any kind of overclocking (mobo
is locked if memory serves me), and everything left in the system is
standard issue. My question is what is the fastest speed of Ram I can
throw in there, also what are the maximums for amount of RAM?

Any idea on if the computer can have an upgrade done to the CPU?

Ben Myers

According to a product review by PC World still on the web, "Compaq also offers
preconfigured and user-configurable models of the Presario 5000 series with
Pentium III, Celeron, and Athlon processors." So if you need help with the
system, you need to tell us its exact model.

Memory speed makes no difference in the performance of a computer, as long as
the memory meets the specifications required by the computer. You can install
faster memory of the same type (e.g. PC133 in a system shipped with PC100), and
the CPU speed will not change... Ben Myers

paulmd@efn.org

On Apr 30, 6:21 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (playstation60) wrote:
> I have a Compaq Presario 5000, that I traded a busted laptop to my dad
> for. As far as I'm aware he did not do any kind of overclocking (mobo
> is locked if memory serves me), and everything left in the system is
> standard issue. My question is what is the fastest speed of Ram I can
> throw in there, also what are the maximums for amount of RAM?

1.5GB, Pc133. They all have 3 ram slots.

> Any idea on if the computer can have an upgrade done to the CPU?

Nyes. Some are altlons, some are durons, some are celerons, and some
are p3s.

I think the p3 and celeron models can be upgraded to p3 1ghz.

I think the Durons top out at 1.2 or 1.4ghz.

But you'll want to do a bios upgrade first before upgrading the CPU.
It'll make your life easier. Some of the models are updatable through
windows.

As Ben says, there are a lot of different models. To find the exact
model, pop open the cd holder thingy, there should be a sticker on it.

One bugaboo with many of these is bad video card. Even on the ones
with onboard video often have this problem. Not all, but large portion
of them do (20% or so). If you see the display image smeared a bit, or
it won't boot, replace the video card.