install only 256mb kingston memory, thinkpad won't boot at all, just
black screen. Strange thing is that KTM-TP390X is mentioned in kingston
home page to be T20-compatable...any ideas what is a problem? I have
updated latest bios from ibm but no help....

--
Tuomas Paasiala
-Please remove _no-spam_ when replying

Rolf Blom

On 2005-02-18 16:06, Tuomas Paasiala wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have been trying to add memory to my IBM thinkpad T20 2647-95G with no
> success. When i byued this laptop it had (or still has) 128mb, original
> ibm so-dimm. So far i have tested kingston KVR100X64SC2/256 and
> KTM-TP390X/256, no luck. When i install both, original ibm and one of
> kingston memory, thinkpad boots up to bios screen and bios says memory
> 384mb, but loading win2k gives me BSOD with "REGISTRY ERROR". If i
> install only 256mb kingston memory, thinkpad won't boot at all, just
> black screen. Strange thing is that KTM-TP390X is mentioned in kingston
> home page to be T20-compatable...any ideas what is a problem? I have
> updated latest bios from ibm but no help....
>
> --
> Tuomas Paasiala
> -Please remove _no-spam_ when replying

You probably got a bad memory stick, if Kingston sys it should work then
it should give no hassle.

Now if it had worked ok on it's own, but not together with the original,
it could have been incompatibilities between the sticks, but with a
black screen when on it's own, I'd say it's definitely defective.

(Sometimes you need to populate one slot first, or use memory banks in
pairs etc. If so, this should be stated in the laptop manual.)

You can for errors with memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com/
(much better than most bios tests)

/Rolf

Tuomas Paasiala

Rolf Blom wrote:

> You can for errors with memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com/
> (much better than most bios tests)

Hi.
Well, i ran memtest86 with both original dimm and KTM-TP390X installed,
and after 64mb it started to give LOOONG list of errors so i guess
that my kingston dimm is defective....

Tuomas Paasiala

Rolf Blom wrote:

> You probably got a bad memory stick, if Kingston sys it should work then
> it should give no hassle.

Well, it seems that dimm was not defective....I sent it back to dealer,
and they sent me another Kingston, which is KTC311/256LP and now my
ThinkPad works fine with 384mb memory installed. Strange, kingston
www-pages says that ktc-311 is for hp/compaq...