Memory Question ?

cadetp@noaddress.com

Hi all,

I have the following memory sticks currently in my computer

Corsair 2GB DDRF2 800MHz/PC2 6400 XMS2 NON ESS Ubuffered CL5

I also have 2 empty slots. The question is - Can I populate these two
with the same brand of Memory sticks but slightly faster like
4-4-4-12.

If I do, do I need to fiddle the BIOS setting or what.

Thanks for your help.

cadetp@noaddress.com

Hi all

I forgot to mention that I am using Abit IP35 Pro mother board and
that the memory pair currently installed works on 1.9 volts and the
one I like to install works on 2.1 volts.

Ed Medlin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I forgot to mention that I am using Abit IP35 Pro mother board and
> that the memory pair currently installed works on 1.9 volts and the
> one I like to install works on 2.1 volts.

The bios should pick up on the CAS settings and automatically set that for
you. As for the voltage, you might have to find a happy medium or try
running the new memory at a lower voltage. I would think that your old and
new memory should work ok at 2.0v. 1.9v as a max voltage sounds a bit
conservative to me. On the other hand, if you are not overclocking the
memory the new memory might run just fine at 1.9v.

Ed

RobV

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have the following memory sticks currently in my computer
>
> Corsair 2GB DDRF2 800MHz/PC2 6400 XMS2 NON ESS Ubuffered CL5
>
> I also have 2 empty slots. The question is - Can I populate these two
> with the same brand of Memory sticks but slightly faster like
> 4-4-4-12.
>
> If I do, do I need to fiddle the BIOS setting or what.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Why do you want to add memory that requires more voltage than the memory
you have now and, even though the timings of the new memory are faster,
will have to be run at the same, slower speed timings of the original
memory?

Why not just get another pair of the same modules you already have?