Memory timing

Thomas Andersson

Hi!

Can someone please point me to some easy to understand info on memory
timing, how it affects thinsg and how important it is?
For example now I'm looking at two Kingston HyperX mem-sticks, they are
timed:

PC3200 CAS Latency 2 (2-2-2-6-1T) ($125)
PC3200 CAS Latency 2 (2-3-2-6-1T) ($100)

There's a $25 difference between these two sticks, will that single digit
difference in memory timing make any detectable difference whatsoever at
stock speed or slightly above?
Alsom from the faster of these two there's just a $2 difference to this one:

PC3500 CAS Latency 2 (2-3-3-7-1T) ($127)

For starters I'm gonna go with 400MHz FSB for the Barton XP2500+ I'm
getting, but as I'm getting a water cooling rig I might be tempted to take
it further, but how far would I need to go to make up for the worse timing
of the higher speed ram?
I realy want to try and understand these issues as they are of importance in
overclocking so any help would be apreciated!

Best Wishes
Thomas

bretb

http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/ddr400/

"Thomas Andersson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdfr0a$suumo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> Can someone please point me to some easy to understand info on memory
> timing, how it affects thinsg and how important it is?
> For example now I'm looking at two Kingston HyperX mem-sticks, they are
> timed:
>
> PC3200 CAS Latency 2 (2-2-2-6-1T) ($125)
> PC3200 CAS Latency 2 (2-3-2-6-1T) ($100)
>
> There's a $25 difference between these two sticks, will that single digit
> difference in memory timing make any detectable difference whatsoever at
> stock speed or slightly above?
> Alsom from the faster of these two there's just a $2 difference to this

one:

> PC3500 CAS Latency 2 (2-3-3-7-1T) ($127)
>
> For starters I'm gonna go with 400MHz FSB for the Barton XP2500+ I'm
> getting, but as I'm getting a water cooling rig I might be tempted to take
> it further, but how far would I need to go to make up for the worse timing
> of the higher speed ram?
> I realy want to try and understand these issues as they are of importance

in
> overclocking so any help would be apreciated!
>
> Best Wishes
> Thomas

Frank Weston

There's a real nice primer on memory on the Corsair website. It will answer
most of your questions in great detail.

BH-5 Memory Timing Lankshire Abit 4 05-01-2004 04:53 AM
P4C800 Deluxe memory timing settings <---INFO Noozer Asus 1 02-05-2004 10:34 AM
Memory timing advise for A7N8X deluxe me@here.com Asus 2 07-14-2003 11:03 PM
Need agressive memory timing advise please me@here.com Asus 1 06-26-2003 07:17 PM
A7N8X deluxe memory timing settings help needed please me@here.com Asus 2 06-25-2003 04:39 PM