Memory timings seem to change when set to auto with EVGA 680i motherboard

Phil Weldon

I've just begun to notice this, but it seems that after each successful
bootup and operating session that the [Auto] setting for Memory Timings in
the BIOS results in lower delays being used. Has anyone elsed noticed this
with a 680i motherboard?

Example using Patriot DDR2-1066 SLI ready memory:

After making a number of changes and booting up with the BIOS memory
parameters set for
1200 MHz Memory Bus
Mode: [EXPERT]
Voltage: [Auto]
Timings: [Optimal]
I would get timings like 9-8-8-21.
After a few reboots the timings would be more like 5-6-6-11, and work just
fine.

A nice thing to have happen, but I sure wish I knew WHY B^)

Phil Weldon

peter

could this be why??
http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/sli_memory.pdf

peter
"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V1vki.5299$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I've just begun to notice this, but it seems that after each successful
> bootup and operating session that the [Auto] setting for Memory Timings in
> the BIOS results in lower delays being used. Has anyone elsed noticed
> this
> with a 680i motherboard?
>
> Example using Patriot DDR2-1066 SLI ready memory:
>
> After making a number of changes and booting up with the BIOS memory
> parameters set for
> 1200 MHz Memory Bus
> Mode: [EXPERT]
> Voltage: [Auto]
> Timings: [Optimal]
> I would get timings like 9-8-8-21.
> After a few reboots the timings would be more like 5-6-6-11, and work just
> fine.
>
> A nice thing to have happen, but I sure wish I knew WHY B^)
>
> Phil Weldon

Ed Medlin

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V1vki.5299$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I've just begun to notice this, but it seems that after each
> successful
> bootup and operating session that the [Auto] setting for Memory
> Timings in
> the BIOS results in lower delays being used. Has anyone elsed noticed
> this
> with a 680i motherboard?
>
> Example using Patriot DDR2-1066 SLI ready memory:
>
> After making a number of changes and booting up with the BIOS memory
> parameters set for
> 1200 MHz Memory Bus
> Mode: [EXPERT]
> Voltage: [Auto]
> Timings: [Optimal]
> I would get timings like 9-8-8-21.
> After a few reboots the timings would be more like 5-6-6-11, and work
> just
> fine.
>
> A nice thing to have happen, but I sure wish I knew WHY B^)
>
> Phil Weldon

I noticed the same thing and just put it down to the SLI memory
specs ie peter's post. I don't have a clue as to how or why even after
reading the document....:-). I don't use NTune and it still did that. I
guess the extra instructions in the SLI memory will lower the timings to
it's optimal settings over time. Its a neat thing even if I don't
understand exactly how it happens.....:-)

Ed

Phil Weldon

'Ed Medlin' wrote:
| I noticed the same thing and just put it down to the SLI memory
| specs ie peter's post. I don't have a clue as to how or why even after
| reading the document....:-). I don't use NTune and it still did that. I
| guess the extra instructions in the SLI memory will lower the timings to
| it's optimal settings over time. Its a neat thing even if I don't
| understand exactly how it happens.....:-)
_____

It would have to be the BIOS that does the job - nTune (and other
applications) will display the extended contents of the SPD for 'SLI Ready'
memory, just a few dozen bytes of data. To overclock my Patriot DDR2-1066 I
turn OFF the 'SLI Ready' memory overclock, set the Memory Bus speed, set the
mode to [EXPERT] rather than [OPTIMAL], but then leave the timings all set
to [AUTO]. The interesting (and valuable) thing is that the 'hidden hand'
sets memory timings to lower delays than I can get to work with manual
settings. I only have the evidence from the BIOS and from nTune as to what
the memory timings ACTUALLY are, so I should run some benchmarks to check.
If the difference is real, I guess it is the BIOS that is accomplishing the
trick - wish it were documented. I don't think the board rebadgers (like
EVGA) have a clue as to how the nVidia reference motherboard operates. Next
nVidia based motherboard I buy will be a non-reference board; I'm very
interested in the experiences you will have with the Striker.

I use nTune occasionally to change parameters, but never use the automatic
overclock function, it is worthless (for one thing, it only stresses ONE
CPU, and that to a VERY low level.)

Phil Weldon

news:UuNki.19767$(E-Mail Removed) et...