Memtest86 test errors with XMS Twinx2048-3200c2 on DFI Lanparty SLI DR Expert

Error404

visit the DFI forums here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php
and have a look at the stock settings for your ram,its a very helpful
place.
Regards Dave
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:13:10 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm getting memory errors reported with some corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2.
>With the motherboard settings at default (mostly AUTO), memtest86 says
>there are errors in the moving inversions test (test 3). There are also
>errors reported in following tests. I've tried bumping the voltage as far
>as 2.8V and I've played with the buss speed to try and eliminate them,
>without success. Dropping the voltage to minimum and setting the buss
>speed to 230MHz didn't increase the number of errors reported though. I've
>also dropped the memory buss multiplier lower, lowered the CAS timing all
>the way to 4, reseated them and said a couple hail marries. Are the errors
>something I should be worried about? I've had the system running for a
>couple days and haven't 'noticed' any problems. It's just that I can't see
>DFI including a test that's useless or flawed.
>
>System
>Athlon 64x2 3800
>DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert
>ATI AIW Redeon X800XL for now
>Corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2 (2GB)
>3x WD Raptor 76G, RAID 0
>Antec 550W TPII
>

>TIA

philo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm getting memory errors reported with some corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2.
> With the motherboard settings at default (mostly AUTO), memtest86 says
> there are errors in the moving inversions test (test 3). There are also
> errors reported in following tests. I've tried bumping the voltage as far
> as 2.8V and I've played with the buss speed to try and eliminate them,
> without success. Dropping the voltage to minimum and setting the buss
> speed to 230MHz didn't increase the number of errors reported though. I've
> also dropped the memory buss multiplier lower, lowered the CAS timing all
> the way to 4, reseated them and said a couple hail marries. Are the errors
> something I should be worried about? I've had the system running for a
> couple days and haven't 'noticed' any problems. It's just that I can't see
> DFI including a test that's useless or flawed.

Yes...I'd be concerned...
though I've seen memtest pass RAM that ended up being bad...
I've never seen it the otherway...but you may want to try another utility.

Try the utility you can get here
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

even though it's Microsoft...I found the memory test utility to be to my
liking

mikels@brecnet.com

[...]

Firefox

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm getting memory errors reported with some corsair XMS
>> Twinx2048-3200c2.
>> With the motherboard settings at default (mostly AUTO), memtest86 says
>> there are errors in the moving inversions test (test 3). There are also
>> errors reported in following tests. I've tried bumping the voltage as far
>> as 2.8V and I've played with the buss speed to try and eliminate them,
>> without success. Dropping the voltage to minimum and setting the buss
>> speed to 230MHz didn't increase the number of errors reported though.
>> I've
>> also dropped the memory buss multiplier lower, lowered the CAS timing all
>> the way to 4, reseated them and said a couple hail marries. Are the
>> errors
>> something I should be worried about? I've had the system running for a
>> couple days and haven't 'noticed' any problems. It's just that I can't
>> see
>> DFI including a test that's useless or flawed.
>>

> Yes...I'd be concerned...
> though I've seen memtest pass RAM that ended up being bad...
> I've never seen it the otherway...but you may want to try another utility.
>
> Try the utility you can get here

Yes I've ran both when I had problems with a duff strip of Kingston and OCZ
not beleiving the OCZ could be faulty. Both indicated faults and this was
confirmed when both manufacturers returned new memory which tested good with
both utilities.

Sounds like faulty memory.
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> even though it's Microsoft...I found the memory test utility to be to my
> liking

mikels@brecnet.com

Thanks! I added that one to my links list. I got an RMA from newegg this
morning. One of the RAM sticks is bad. I can test them separately in the
same slot and one will pass memtest86. Been running Prime95 for the last 5
hours at 220 buss without errors. Hope the next pair I get work as good as
this single stick.

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:04:17 GMT, Error404 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>visit the DFI forums here http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php
>and have a look at the stock settings for your ram,its a very helpful
>place.
>Regards Dave
> Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:13:10 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>I'm getting memory errors reported with some corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2.
>>With the motherboard settings at default (mostly AUTO), memtest86 says
>>there are errors in the moving inversions test (test 3). There are also
>>errors reported in following tests. I've tried bumping the voltage as far
>>as 2.8V and I've played with the buss speed to try and eliminate them,
>>without success. Dropping the voltage to minimum and setting the buss
>>speed to 230MHz didn't increase the number of errors reported though. I've
>>also dropped the memory buss multiplier lower, lowered the CAS timing all
>>the way to 4, reseated them and said a couple hail marries. Are the errors
>>something I should be worried about? I've had the system running for a
>>couple days and haven't 'noticed' any problems. It's just that I can't see
>>DFI including a test that's useless or flawed.
>>
>>System
>>Athlon 64x2 3800
>>DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert
>>ATI AIW Redeon X800XL for now
>>Corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2 (2GB)
>>3x WD Raptor 76G, RAID 0
>>Antec 550W TPII
>>

>>TIA

Adam Webb

that memory is designed for 200mhz, not 230....

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm getting memory errors reported with some corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2.
> With the motherboard settings at default (mostly AUTO), memtest86 says
> there are errors in the moving inversions test (test 3). There are also
> errors reported in following tests. I've tried bumping the voltage as far
> as 2.8V and I've played with the buss speed to try and eliminate them,
> without success. Dropping the voltage to minimum and setting the buss
> speed to 230MHz didn't increase the number of errors reported though. I've
> also dropped the memory buss multiplier lower, lowered the CAS timing all
> the way to 4, reseated them and said a couple hail marries. Are the errors
> something I should be worried about? I've had the system running for a
> couple days and haven't 'noticed' any problems. It's just that I can't see
> DFI including a test that's useless or flawed.
>
> System
> Athlon 64x2 3800
> DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert
> ATI AIW Redeon X800XL for now
> Corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200c2 (2GB)
> 3x WD Raptor 76G, RAID 0
> Antec 550W TPII
>

> TIA

mikels@brecnet.com

Um, yes I know. The test at 230MHz was to illustrate that the number of
errors didn't increase at that speed. Just like it's written in the OP.