Messaging Vs Function call based software architecture

ssubbarayan

Hi all,
I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
them if given a choice between choosing the two?

I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

Regards,
s.subbarayan

Jon Kirwan

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:44:33 -0800 (PST), ssubbarayan
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
>call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
>your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
>them if given a choice between choosing the two?

Homework question?

>I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
>in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

Generally true. But that doesn't answer your earlier question.

Move your mind outside of the idea of a single CPU. See if that helps
you imagine some advantages and disadvantages for each. Also, take a
look at the Windows API implementation for single-cpus (which includes
both methods, but used in a designed way) and see if you can follow
their reasoning for the way things are done there. (You will need to
understand the messaging and callback arrangements there.)

Jon

Vladimir Vassilevsky

"ssubbarayan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
> call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
> your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
> them if given a choice between choosing the two?
> I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
> in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

I am trying to understand the difference between a car and a transportation.
The transportation is regulated by law, however the car needs gasoline. Can
you tell me the purpose of life?

VLV

ssubbarayan

On Jan 21, 1:27*pm, Jon Kirwan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:44:33 -0800 (PST), ssubbarayan
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
> >call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
> >your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
> >them if given a choice between choosing the two?

> Homework question?
>
> >I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
> >in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

> Generally true. *But that doesn't answer your earlier question.
>
> Move your mind outside of the idea of a single CPU. *See if that helps
> you imagine some advantages and disadvantages for each. *Also, take a
> look at the Windows API implementation for single-cpus (which includes
> both methods, but used in a designed way) and see if you can follow
> their reasoning for the way things are done there. *(You will need to
> understand the messaging and callback arrangements there.)
>
> Jon

Hi,
I understand the question looks amature.The real idea of posting this
question is not to waste someone's precious time and bandwidth.I am
trying to understand the architectural differences from design perse
from most veterans over there,to get some good insights in a
practical angle.It kills the spirit of usenet,when such messages are
posted.
It would help if experts can share some of your thoughts and
encourage.

Regards,
s.subbarayan

Ed Prochak

On Jan 22, 7:36*am, ssubbarayan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 21, 1:27*pm, Jon Kirwan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:44:33 -0800 (PST), ssubbarayan

> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >I am trying to understand the suitability of Messaging Vs Function
> > >call based architecture in a layered embedded software stack.Out of
> > >your experience,can you share with me when would you choose either of
> > >them if given a choice between choosing the two?

> > Homework question?

> > >I believe messaging way has a slight overhead compared to function way
> > >in terms of memory requirements.Is this right?

> > Generally true. *But that doesn't answer your earlier question.

> > Move your mind outside of the idea of a single CPU. *See if that helps
> > you imagine some advantages and disadvantages for each. *Also, take a
> > look at the Windows API implementation for single-cpus (which includes
> > both methods, but used in a designed way) and see if you can follow
> > their reasoning for the way things are done there. *(You will need to
> > understand the messaging and callback arrangements there.)

> > Jon

> Hi,
> I understand the question looks amature.The real idea of posting this
> question is not to waste someone's precious time and bandwidth.I am
> trying to understand the architectural differences from design perse
> from most veterans over there,to get some *good insights in a
> practical angle.It kills the spirit of usenet,when such messages are
> posted.
> It would help if experts can share some of your thoughts and
> encourage.
>
> Regards,
> s.subbarayan

Since you seem to be interested in this question in the abstract, then
comp.programming may be a better place for that kind of discussion.
Several regulars here also follow that group. And you did not limit
your topic to embedded systems, so it does seem out of place here.

The spirit of usenet grows from specific topic discussions in the
correct groups. Your topic just may find a better reception in a
slightly more appropriate group.
HTH,
Ed

SMS Messaging Server naren Tablet PC 0 01-15-2008 05:25 AM
How can I change these options of the instant messaging field in Address Book? ZhaoJian Apple 2 03-09-2006 08:20 AM
SECURE MESSAGING BASED ON ARM 7 johny Embedded 8 02-15-2006 03:58 PM
New twist on video messaging jk_db2003 Matrox 0 08-12-2003 06:30 AM
how can I use a signal defined in one Architecture to another Architecture Muhammad Khan Hardware 3 07-10-2003 04:11 AM