metal dector for barbed wire fences

David K. Bryant

On 07/11/2012 07:18 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
> On Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:04:18 AM UTC-5, Hul Tytus wrote:
>> comp.arch.embedded,sci.electronics.components
>> metal dector for barbed wire fences
>>
>> Anybody here have any suggestions for possible ways to detect fence wire,

Search for "search coils pdf" will turn up
a lot of documents on the topic. The one
I keep around features many of the applicable
patents.

Anyway, you do have some interesting contstraints.
I'm thinking along the lines of how you could
excite the wire strands (exciter coil at one
end of the tractor) and a detector coil at
the other.

It wasn't clear whether you are trying to prevent
driving directly into a fence while crossing a
planted field or if you are trying to monitor
the fence location as in mowing close along the
fence.

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to (E-Mail Removed) ---

1 Lucky Texan

On Jul 25, 2:01*pm, "David K. Bryant" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On 07/11/2012 07:18 AM, 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
>
> > ...snip...

> It wasn't clear whether you are trying to prevent
> driving directly into a fence while crossing a
> planted field or if you are trying to monitor
> the fence location as in mowing close along the
> fence.
>
> --- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to (E-Mail Removed) ---

Yes, I think there have been farming vehicles for some time now that
use GPS to mark the area in which they operate. I don't know how
accurate they are or if they require a large 'buffer' zone for error.
Perhaps switching from a GPS system to a more sensitive/accurate
system is what the OP is attempting?