Mew ATI and tv-out?

Thomas Andersson

Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at 5770 which
seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to have display port
(whatever that does) and none have the classic svhs/hdtv out connector.

Boris Badenov

Thomas Andersson wrote:
> Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at 5770 which
> seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to have display port
> (whatever that does) and none have the classic svhs/hdtv out connector.

My Sapphire 5870 has DVI, HDMI and Display Port and it came with an
adapter for HDMI to component.

Benjamin Gawert

Am 23.02.2010 18:32, * Thomas Andersson:
> Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at 5770 which
> seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to have display port
> (whatever that does) and none have the classic svhs/hdtv out connector.

Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
still come with analoge TV out. More cards do come with analoge
component out (HDTV) but in Europe this is not of much relevance because
TVs that have analogue component input also have VGA or DVI/HDMI inputs.

Unless you have a really ancient TV I wouldn't even bother with Y/C any
more (and if you have then you probably need an older gfx card). Not
only because the image usually looks like crap.

Benjamin

GMAN

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Benjamin Gawert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Am 23.02.2010 18:32, * Thomas Andersson:
>> Are there any newer ATI cards that has tv-out? (svhs). Looking at 5770 which
>> seems to be the best I can afford and they all seems to have display port
>> (whatever that does) and none have the classic svhs/hdtv out connector.

>Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
>still come with analoge TV out. More cards do come with analoge
>component out (HDTV) but in Europe this is not of much relevance because
>TVs that have analogue component input also have VGA or DVI/HDMI inputs.
>
>Unless you have a really ancient TV I wouldn't even bother with Y/C any
>more (and if you have then you probably need an older gfx card). Not
>only because the image usually looks like crap.
>
>Benjamin

So how do you suggest the OP or anyone else for that matter be able to record
video out from their pc?

Boris Badenov

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
> still come with analoge TV out.

Yea, but there are adapters available so he can still do it. In my
wants SVGA though, simple fix is attach component to SVGA adapter to the
HDMI to component adapter. I know you can get those because I have one
collecting dust in my adapter box.

Barry Watzman

Re: "It is not legal to make or sell HDCP capable DVI to analog (VGA -
Component) converters**"

I don't think that's absolutely true. It depends on the format and
resolution of the output of the conversion. If the output is "SD"
(standard definition) then it is legal. If it's "HD" it's not legal.
I'm not sure where or if these terms are defined precisely. But analog
VGA 640x480 is definitely not considered HD.

William wrote:

> "Boris Badenov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hm431a$v7n$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Benjamin Gawert wrote:
>>
>>> Analoge TV out (CVBS, Y/C) is dead, and very few new cards actually
>>> still come with analoge TV out.

>> Yea, but there are adapters available so he can still do it. In my
>> wants SVGA though, simple fix is attach component to SVGA adapter to
>> the HDMI to component adapter. I know you can get those because I have
>> one collecting dust in my adapter box.

> Boris: Open that box up again and take a look at that adapter. It most
> likely is a DVI to VGA adapter. This is possible because ATI supplies
> YPbBr signals to the DVI connector, which allows the adapter to offer
> the YPbBr signals to the VGA adaptor for older monitors.
>
> Something else to consider: ** It is not legal to make or sell HDCP
> capable DVI to analog (VGA - Component) converters** . To convert HDMI
> to component would break federal laws for HDCP compliant equipment.
> Ever herd of copy protection - secure digital connection. I searched
> NewEgg - they don't have such a thing. I searched Google, they show
> some break out cables, but they say they only work on ATI video boards,
> which have the YPbBr signals available.
>
> Look into it.
>
> William

Barry Watzman

We were talking about CONVERTING the digital signal into {something};
both analog and digital can be either HD or SD.

[e.g. component video can be analog HD, while DVI at 800x600 (or lower)
is digital but SD]

My point was, it's not illegal to make a device that takes an HDMI HD
signal (with HDCP) and converts it into, for example, NTSC composite
analog (e.g. yellow RCA plug). That seems to be the capability (not
currently illegal) that you are discussing which providers are asking to
be capable of being turned off. That might work on a cable box
(although maybe not current and past production models) but it will
hardly work for DVD content, which is currently SD, but still of very
good quality.

William wrote:

> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hm4hh4$408$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>
>> Re: "It is not legal to make or sell HDCP capable DVI to analog (VGA -
>> Component) converters**"
>>
>> I don't think that's absolutely true. It depends on the format and
>> resolution of the output of the conversion. If the output is "SD"
>> (standard definition) then it is legal. If it's "HD" it's not legal.
>> I'm not sure where or if these terms are defined precisely. But
>> analog VGA 640x480 is definitely not considered HD.
>>

> HDMI doesn't even have analogue video in it to use. HDCP =
> High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection, read the words High-Bandwidth
> again please. You will not find VGA inside of a HDMI signal. You are
> thinking of a cable box, or DVD that has HDMI and component output for
> selection.
>
> Are you aware that the content providers are asking the FCC permission
> to turn off the low-definition outputs on cable boxes and dvd's as they
> desire. If that happens - say goodbye to VGA and component outputs on
> the hi-dif players and boxes whenever the content providers want to turn
> the ports off.
>
> There are some very expensive active break-out boxes available if you
> know where to go. But that is another story.
>
> Thank you Barry for caring. William
>

>> William wrote:
>>>

>>> "Boris Badenov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hm431a$v7n$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> Boris: Open that box up again and take a look at that adapter. It
>>> most likely is a DVI to VGA adapter. This is possible because ATI
>>> supplies YPbBr signals to the DVI connector, which allows the adapter
>>> to offer the YPbBr signals to the VGA adaptor for older monitors.
>>>
>>> Something else to consider: ** It is not legal to make or sell HDCP
>>> capable DVI to analog (VGA - Component) converters** . To convert
>>> HDMI to component would break federal laws for HDCP compliant
>>> equipment. Ever herd of copy protection - secure digital
>>> connection. I searched NewEgg - they don't have such a thing. I
>>> searched Google, they show some break out cables, but they say they
>>> only work on ATI video boards, which have the YPbBr signals available.
>>>
>>> Look into it.
>>>
>>> William

Benjamin Gawert

Am 24.02.2010 20:43, * Boris Badenov:

> Yea, but there are adapters available so he can still do it. In my
> wants SVGA though

No, he wants *SVHS* not SVGA.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

Am 24.02.2010 17:49, * GMAN:

> So how do you suggest the OP or anyone else for that matter be able to record
> video out from their pc?

There are programs that allow recording of screen content, for example
FRAPS.

Besides that, why should anyone want to record the video output from
their PC?

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

Am 25.02.2010 00:50, * Barry Watzman:

> Re: "It is not legal to make or sell HDCP capable DVI to analog (VGA -
> Component) converters**"
>
> I don't think that's absolutely true. It depends on the format and
> resolution of the output of the conversion. If the output is "SD"
> (standard definition) then it is legal. If it's "HD" it's not legal. I'm
> not sure where or if these terms are defined precisely. But analog VGA
> 640x480 is definitely not considered HD.

The legality has absolutely nothing to do with the resolution of the
signal. HDMI is protected by a proprietary copy protection (HDCP) which
to circumvent is illegal in a lot of countries.

Benjamin

Upgrading CPU on ASUS MEW-AM Rev. 2.01 Motherboard Thomas Collins Jr Asus 2 02-10-2005 12:23 PM
Asus MEW PCB 1.06 CPU Support Jiggy Asus 2 01-21-2005 05:48 PM
MEW rev 1.06 power/boot prob. Paperbag Writer Asus 5 04-11-2004 04:07 PM
MEW-AM Video Upgrade Guy Asus 4 04-09-2004 05:26 AM
Asus mew-am frere Asus 2 01-11-2004 11:36 PM