Microsoft branded Tablet PC

greenlapper

This may have already been answered somewhere, but
whatever happened to Microsoft's own branded Tablet PC?

I seem to remember when they first announced the Tablet PC
product; they had indicated that they would be coming out
with a hardware version of their own, in fact I seem to
recollect seeing an orange colored prototype.

Did I imagine this or did I misunderstand, just curious?

Mike Williams [MVP]

"greenlapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:053701c38f7f$a8450520$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This may have already been answered somewhere, but
> whatever happened to Microsoft's own branded Tablet PC?
>
> I seem to remember when they first announced the Tablet PC
> product; they had indicated that they would be coming out
> with a hardware version of their own, in fact I seem to
> recollect seeing an orange colored prototype.
>
> Did I imagine this or did I misunderstand, just curious?

You saw an unbranded prototype made for demo and development usage only.

Chris H.

Don't believe so. 8-) Perhaps you did see one of the prototypes, but I've
never heard of Microsoft indicating a brand of their own.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"greenlapper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:053701c38f7f$a8450520$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This may have already been answered somewhere, but
> whatever happened to Microsoft's own branded Tablet PC?
>
> I seem to remember when they first announced the Tablet PC
> product; they had indicated that they would be coming out
> with a hardware version of their own, in fact I seem to
> recollect seeing an orange colored prototype.
>
> Did I imagine this or did I misunderstand, just curious?

greenlapper

Thanks.

Believe it or not, but the truth is...

Microsoft DID made their own brand of Tablet PC prototype, shown at the
Comdex 2000 show.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...13tabletpc.asp

Very clearly a "Microsoft" logo on the machine. Personally, I like this
design and look more than most other out there in the market today (except
for Compaq and Toshiba), some either look too much like a brick or an
average notebook.

Chris H.

And the truth is there was never an intent to market the prototype.
Microsoft does a lot of non-functional prototypes, and works with many
partners around the world on projects. If the prototype is turned over,
there's usually some sort of imprint of "Development Hardware - Not for
Resale" stamped into the mock-up.

Here's a list of Microsoft's partners, just on the Tablet PC project alone:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/t...rs/default.asp
--

<Chrino> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Believe it or not, but the truth is...
>
> Microsoft DID made their own brand of Tablet PC prototype, shown at the
> Comdex 2000 show.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/f...13tabletpc.asp
>
> Very clearly a "Microsoft" logo on the machine. Personally, I like this
> design and look more than most other out there in the market today (except
> for Compaq and Toshiba), some either look too much like a brick or an
> average notebook.

I agree with your claims. I also seen Microsoft branded Media2Go projects.
Whether or not they fully function is a myth to me.

By the way, is the Microsoft branded Tablet on the web site co-developed by
MS and HP? If so, why did HP marketed that model?

Sorry but I meant:

If so, why didn't HP marketed that model?

Chris H.

Only a guess, but HP probably wanted their form factor. As you've probably
noted, while the initial models were "about the same" each has their own
characteristics of the manufacturer. And, as they develop, new innovations
are coming to the forms. The product is proving to be a winner.

This is a rather interesting view:
http://www.microsoft.com/museum/default.mspx
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
Associate Expert

<Chrino> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry but I meant:
>
> If so, why didn't HP marketed that model?

Mike Williams [MVP]

<Chrino> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> By the way, is the Microsoft branded Tablet on the web site co-developed

by
> MS and HP? If so, why did HP marketed that model?

Prototypes are useless in the market, for the most part. It's one thing to
have a nice plastic case, but the innards require a lot of refinement before
you get a marketable device. The prototype is a decagon on the way to
becoming a circle.