Microsoft Gears Up to Release Xbox 360 with New Chips - IBM, TSMCLand Orders to Manufacture 65nm Chips for Microsoft Xbox 360

AirRaid Mach 2.5

Microsoft Corp. reportedly plans to release a new version its Xbox 360
video game system code-named Jasper in August and has already assigned
IBM and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. to make chips for the
new game console. However, there are other important rumours: TSMC got
orders to produce the chip for code-named Valhalla Xbox 360 design,
which is rumoured to combine microprocessor and graphics chip in a
single piece of silicon.

The code-named Jasper design of the Xbox 360 game console will use ATI
Xenos graphics and memory controller hub (GMCH) made using 65nm
process at TSMC as well as IBM Xenon central processing unit (CPU)
produced at IBM’s 65nm nodes. The new system design is projected to
consume less electricity, use less complex cooling systems and also
produce less noise.

By contrast, current Xbox 360 design named Falcon utilizes GMCH and
eDRAM cores manufactured using 90nm process technology at TSMC as well
as CPU built at IBM using 65nm fabrication process. The first-
generation Xbox 360 used 90nm chips.

TSMC is chosen to make the 65nm GMCH chips, Advanced Semiconductor
Engineering (ASE) is contracted to package and test the chips, and
Nanya has won orders to supply flip-chip packaging substrates, reports
China Economic News Service.

What is, perhaps, more important than the facts that TSMC again got
orders to produce ATI Xenos GMCH and IBM land orders on IBM Xenon CPU
at expense of Chartered Semiconductor (which once promised to start
making 45nm chips for Advanced Micro Devices in 2009), is that “chips”
for next-generation Xbox 360 code-named Valhalla will also be made at
TSMC. Earlier rumours transpired that Valhalla features a chip that
combines CPU and GMCH. In order to build such chip at TSMC, Microsoft
either needs to disclose certain design rules of IBM’s fabrication
process to the Taiwan-based semiconductor manufacturer, or completely
rework the CPU according to fabrication process of TSMC.

Microsoft did not comment on the news-story.

Microsoft Xbox 360 console is based around triple-core microprocessor
developed by IBM, high-definition visual processing unit designed by
ATI Technologies, I/O controller engineered by SiS and some other key
components. The gaming machine provides a broad set of multimedia
capabilities in addition to games. Currently Microsoft Xbox 360 is
available for $279, $349 or $449 in the USA depending on the version.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...New_Chips.html

SHaKeY STeVe

On May 9, 10:28*pm, "AirRaid Mach 2.5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Microsoft Corp. reportedly plans to release a new version its Xbox 360
> video game system code-named Jasper in August and has already assigned
> IBM and Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. to make chips for the
> new game console. However, there are other important rumours: TSMC got
> orders to produce the chip for code-named Valhalla Xbox 360 design,
> which is rumoured to combine microprocessor and graphics chip in a
> single piece of silicon.
>
> The code-named Jasper design of the Xbox 360 game console will use ATI
> Xenos graphics and memory controller hub (GMCH) made using 65nm
> process at TSMC as well as IBM Xenon central processing unit (CPU)
> produced at IBM’s 65nm nodes. The new system design is projected to
> consume less electricity, use less complex cooling systems and also
> produce less noise.
>
> By contrast, current Xbox 360 design named Falcon utilizes GMCH and
> eDRAM cores manufactured using 90nm process technology at TSMC as well
> as CPU built at IBM using 65nm fabrication process. The first-
> generation Xbox 360 used 90nm chips.
>
> TSMC is chosen to make the 65nm GMCH chips, Advanced Semiconductor
> Engineering (ASE) is contracted to package and test the chips, and
> Nanya has won orders to supply flip-chip packaging substrates, reports
> China Economic News Service.
>
> What is, perhaps, more important than the facts that TSMC again got
> orders to produce ATI Xenos GMCH and IBM land orders on IBM Xenon CPU
> at expense of Chartered Semiconductor (which once promised to start
> making 45nm chips for Advanced Micro Devices in 2009), is that “chips”
> for next-generation Xbox 360 code-named Valhalla will also be made at
> TSMC. Earlier rumours transpired that Valhalla features a chip that
> combines CPU and GMCH. In order to build such chip at TSMC, Microsoft
> either needs to disclose certain design rules of IBM’s fabrication
> process to the Taiwan-based semiconductor manufacturer, or completely
> rework the CPU according to fabrication process of TSMC.
>
> Microsoft did not comment on the news-story.
>
> Microsoft Xbox 360 console is based around triple-core microprocessor
> developed by IBM, high-definition visual processing unit designed byI by

> ATI Technologies, I/O controller engineered by SiS and some other key
> components. The gaming machine provides a broad set of multimedia
> capabilities in addition to games. Currently Microsoft Xbox 360 is
> available for $279, $349 or $449 in the USA depending on the version.
>
> http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...7132302_Micros...

I just got a return unit back from M$and this one runs hotter, is much
louder, and the DVD drive is much more flimsy than the previous unit.
So I think I will have the beach towel ready for August, if it doesn't
die before that...