Microsoft Mouse stays lit when computer is off. (A8N-SLI Premium)

HST

I already know now that the A8N-SLI Premium has a power LED that stays
lit when the computer is off and it is normal but when I shut down the
computer the Microsoft Intelli-mouse light stays lit, what gives and
how do I rectify it?

HST

geezzz, one problem after the other )

jroc

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:42:40 -0400, HST <(E-Mail Removed)> managed to one finger
type the following:

>I already know now that the A8N-SLI Premium has a power LED that stays
>lit when the computer is off and it is normal but when I shut down the
>computer the Microsoft Intelli-mouse light stays lit, what gives and
>how do I rectify it?
>
>HST
>
>geezzz, one problem after the other )

I have the Optical Wireless Mouse 2.0...and its connected via USB2....the
Transmitter turns off..when I power off...but of course the mouse has separate
batteries..but goes into the 'power saving mode' (very dim red light)...I'm on a
ASUS A7V333.

"De Oppresso Liber"
From Oppression Liberate

jroc® 7th Special Forces Ft.Bragg N.C 18/Bravo
****only thing easy in life is failure****
*******so get tough*******

R. B.

"HST" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I already know now that the A8N-SLI Premium has a power LED that stays
> lit when the computer is off and it is normal but when I shut down the
> computer the Microsoft Intelli-mouse light stays lit, what gives and
> how do I rectify it?
>
> HST
>
> geezzz, one problem after the other )

Go into the bios to power, then to APM Configuration and set the Restore on
AC power loss to [Enabled]. Both of your problems will go away. no more
green light on after you shut down and the mouse light will go out. You will
also save power. Set your surge protector so that all of your components
will be on when you turn on the master switch. You will also save the wear
and tear on all the switches except the master on the surge protector.Use
the master switch to turn on and off your computer. I run ever computer that
I build like this. No problems. Hope this helps.
R. B.

Mercury

This setting is for use when you have a UPS. It means that if the system is
shutdown by a UPS (Power Loss) restore the system state to the prior state.
IE if the system was running, restart it, if the system was powered off ,
leave it off.

If you do not have a UPS, it is best to have it disabled as otherwise if you
have a rapid series of power failures you will blow up your system - just
like repeatedly turning the power for a light on and off will blow it.

The OP's mouse problem actually sounds like normal behaviour - the mouse
will go idle and turn off the light, but if it is moved it will turn on. One
of the Wake on xxxx settings may disable it.

"R. B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsDzwe.7345$dz6.6739@trnddc02...

> "HST" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I already know now that the A8N-SLI Premium has a power LED that stays
>> lit when the computer is off and it is normal but when I shut down the
>> computer the Microsoft Intelli-mouse light stays lit, what gives and
>> how do I rectify it?
>>
>> HST
>>
>> geezzz, one problem after the other )

> Go into the bios to power, then to APM Configuration and set the Restore
> on AC power loss to [Enabled]. Both of your problems will go away. no
> more green light on after you shut down and the mouse light will go out.
> You will also save power. Set your surge protector so that all of your
> components will be on when you turn on the master switch. You will also
> save the wear and tear on all the switches except the master on the surge
> protector.Use the master switch to turn on and off your computer. I run
> ever computer that I build like this. No problems. Hope this helps.
> R. B.

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
news-50.giganews.com wrote:

> I already know now that the A8N-SLI Premium has a power LED that stays
> lit when the computer is off and it is normal but when I shut down the
> computer the Microsoft Intelli-mouse light stays lit, what gives and
> how do I rectify it?
>
> HST
>
> geezzz, one problem after the other )

For many other motherboards, the answer to this question would be
simple. Usually an Asus motherboard has USBPWxx jumper blocks.
The xx would be 12, 34, 56, as appropriate for the pair of USB
ports it controls. USBPW jumper blocks allow the user to select
powering of the USB port by the +5V source of power (which switches
off when the computer sleeps) or by the +5VSB source of power (which
continues to run when the computer sleeps).

+5VSB is the one to use, when you need a USB keyboard powered, to
do "wake by keyboard" or the like.

Now, we come back to the A8N-SLI. Lo and behold, I see no USBPWxx
jumper blocks! It sounds like your USB headers and rear USB ports are
permanently wired to +5VSB, and that is why the mouse is still
lit. On the plus side, this makes the "wakeup" function easier
to get working (and Asus saves a whole $0.15, by not having to
place 15 jumper pins on the board for five USBPWxx header blocks).

I wonder if the selection of +5V or +5VSB is now made in software ?
I'd say you have a good deal of research ahead of you, to find an
answer to that :-(

Phone up Asus tech support and ask them if there is an option to
change how USB is powered. I don't see any mention of this issue
on the Asus FAQ page. If all ten of the USB ports have been
set up to run from +5VSB, and each one draws 500 milliamps (the
spec max), this will crush all power supplies (most PSUs only have
2 amps to offer on +5VSB), so if the USB powering option cannot be
changed, this strikes me as a dumb design decision.

http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Paul

R. B.

"Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:da0lh0$4oa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This setting is for use when you have a UPS. It means that if the system
> is shutdown by a UPS (Power Loss) restore the system state to the prior
> state. IE if the system was running, restart it, if the system was powered
> off , leave it off.
>
> If you do not have a UPS, it is best to have it disabled as otherwise if
> you have a rapid series of power failures you will blow up your system -
> just like repeatedly turning the power for a light on and off will blow
> it.
>
> The OP's mouse problem actually sounds like normal behaviour - the mouse
> will go idle and turn off the light, but if it is moved it will turn on.
> One of the Wake on xxxx settings may disable it.

When you have the surge protector off you can have a million power failures
and it will not affect your computer
because it if off. now power to it.
R. B.

> "R. B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsDzwe.7345$dz6.6739@trnddc02...
>>
>> "HST" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I already know now that the A8N-SLI Premium has a power LED that stays
>>> lit when the computer is off and it is normal but when I shut down the
>>> computer the Microsoft Intelli-mouse light stays lit, what gives and
>>> how do I rectify it?
>>>
>>> HST
>>>
>>> geezzz, one problem after the other )

>> Go into the bios to power, then to APM Configuration and set the Restore
>> on AC power loss to [Enabled]. Both of your problems will go away. no
>> more green light on after you shut down and the mouse light will go out.
>> You will also save power. Set your surge protector so that all of your
>> components will be on when you turn on the master switch. You will also
>> save the wear and tear on all the switches except the master on the surge
>> protector.Use the master switch to turn on and off your computer. I run
>> ever computer that I build like this. No problems. Hope this helps.
>> R. B.

HST

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:28:59 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrotf:

>Now, we come back to the A8N-SLI. Lo and behold, I see no USBPWxx
>jumper blocks! It sounds like your USB headers and rear USB ports are
>permanently wired to +5VSB, and that is why the mouse is still
>lit. On the plus side, this makes the "wakeup" function easier
>to get working (and Asus saves a whole $0.15, by not having to
>place 15 jumper pins on the board for five USBPWxx header blocks).

damn, maybe I forgot to mention that it's not a USB mouse but a PS2
good old green round connection instead.

HST

milleron

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:28:59 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>news-50.giganews.com wrote:
>
>> I already know now that the A8N-SLI Premium has a power LED that stays
>> lit when the computer is off and it is normal but when I shut down the
>> computer the Microsoft Intelli-mouse light stays lit, what gives and
>> how do I rectify it?
>>
>> HST
>>
>> geezzz, one problem after the other )

>For many other motherboards, the answer to this question would be
>simple. Usually an Asus motherboard has USBPWxx jumper blocks.
>The xx would be 12, 34, 56, as appropriate for the pair of USB
>ports it controls. USBPW jumper blocks allow the user to select
>powering of the USB port by the +5V source of power (which switches
>off when the computer sleeps) or by the +5VSB source of power (which
>continues to run when the computer sleeps).
>
>+5VSB is the one to use, when you need a USB keyboard powered, to
>do "wake by keyboard" or the like.
>
>Now, we come back to the A8N-SLI. Lo and behold, I see no USBPWxx
>jumper blocks! It sounds like your USB headers and rear USB ports are
>permanently wired to +5VSB, and that is why the mouse is still
>lit. On the plus side, this makes the "wakeup" function easier
>to get working (and Asus saves a whole $0.15, by not having to
>place 15 jumper pins on the board for five USBPWxx header blocks).
>
>I wonder if the selection of +5V or +5VSB is now made in software ?
>I'd say you have a good deal of research ahead of you, to find an
>answer to that :-(
>
>Phone up Asus tech support and ask them if there is an option to
>change how USB is powered. I don't see any mention of this issue
>on the Asus FAQ page. If all ten of the USB ports have been
>set up to run from +5VSB, and each one draws 500 milliamps (the
>spec max), this will crush all power supplies (most PSUs only have
>2 amps to offer on +5VSB), so if the USB powering option cannot be
>changed, this strikes me as a dumb design decision.
>
>http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>
> Paul

I have no background in electronics, so these things aren't intuitive
for me. Please forgive me if this question is stupid, but if we're
saying that each of 10 USB port "draws one half amp," aren't we saying
that there's current flowing? Where is all that current going? Would
5 amps at 5 volts, generate 25 watts worth of heat?
Ron

Tim

*can*.
The architectural limit is 1 amp.
It is important not to overload a connection (obviously).
The power jumpers that Paul mentions may do the trick.

"milleron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:28:59 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (Paul) wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>news-50.giganews.com wrote:
>>
>>> I already know now that the A8N-SLI Premium has a power LED that stays
>>> lit when the computer is off and it is normal but when I shut down the
>>> computer the Microsoft Intelli-mouse light stays lit, what gives and
>>> how do I rectify it?
>>>
>>> HST
>>>
>>> geezzz, one problem after the other )

>>For many other motherboards, the answer to this question would be
>>simple. Usually an Asus motherboard has USBPWxx jumper blocks.
>>The xx would be 12, 34, 56, as appropriate for the pair of USB
>>ports it controls. USBPW jumper blocks allow the user to select
>>powering of the USB port by the +5V source of power (which switches
>>off when the computer sleeps) or by the +5VSB source of power (which
>>continues to run when the computer sleeps).
>>
>>+5VSB is the one to use, when you need a USB keyboard powered, to
>>do "wake by keyboard" or the like.
>>
>>Now, we come back to the A8N-SLI. Lo and behold, I see no USBPWxx
>>jumper blocks! It sounds like your USB headers and rear USB ports are
>>permanently wired to +5VSB, and that is why the mouse is still
>>lit. On the plus side, this makes the "wakeup" function easier
>>to get working (and Asus saves a whole $0.15, by not having to
>>place 15 jumper pins on the board for five USBPWxx header blocks).
>>
>>I wonder if the selection of +5V or +5VSB is now made in software ?
>>I'd say you have a good deal of research ahead of you, to find an
>>answer to that :-(
>>
>>Phone up Asus tech support and ask them if there is an option to
>>change how USB is powered. I don't see any mention of this issue
>>on the Asus FAQ page. If all ten of the USB ports have been
>>set up to run from +5VSB, and each one draws 500 milliamps (the
>>spec max), this will crush all power supplies (most PSUs only have
>>2 amps to offer on +5VSB), so if the USB powering option cannot be
>>changed, this strikes me as a dumb design decision.
>>
>>http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
>>
>> Paul

> I have no background in electronics, so these things aren't intuitive
> for me. Please forgive me if this question is stupid, but if we're
> saying that each of 10 USB port "draws one half amp," aren't we saying
> that there's current flowing? Where is all that current going? Would
> 5 amps at 5 volts, generate 25 watts worth of heat?
> Ron

Robert Hancock

> Phone up Asus tech support and ask them if there is an option to
> change how USB is powered. I don't see any mention of this issue
> on the Asus FAQ page. If all ten of the USB ports have been
> set up to run from +5VSB, and each one draws 500 milliamps (the
> spec max), this will crush all power supplies (most PSUs only have
> 2 amps to offer on +5VSB), so if the USB powering option cannot be
> changed, this strikes me as a dumb design decision.

I believe there is a BIOS setting that controls this - at least I have
not noticed any USB devices remaining powered with the system off on my
board which has all the wakeup options disabled. I don't know about PS/2
devices as the poster is apparently using, however.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from (E-Mail Removed)