Midi dilemma...

Kontaminator

I've just purchased a Midi keyboard as I want to get into music production
and as I have an Audigy 2 (Value) there's no Midi port on board. I've also
heard of oddities with MIDI to USB converters!

If I stick in my old PCI 128, can I use the Midi port on that, but still use
the higher quality midi set of the Audigy?

Thanks.

TS

>I've just purchased a Midi keyboard as I want to get into music production
>and as I have an Audigy 2 (Value) there's no Midi port on board. I've also
>heard of oddities with MIDI to USB converters!

There should be an extension available which adds the MIDI ports to
this card (depends on the exact card version, though).

>If I stick in my old PCI 128, can I use the Midi port on that, but still use
>the higher quality midi set of the Audigy?

Yes, should work if properly installed. Note that the adapter for the
15pin MIDI/Joystick-connector on the PCI128 will work with the PCI128
card - it is quite common for adapters made for other cards not to
work with a soundblaster one.

Kontaminator

Thank you for your response. Most informative.

Still waiting on my Midi Keyboard now. )

Cheers.

"TS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I've just purchased a Midi keyboard as I want to get into music
> >production
>>and as I have an Audigy 2 (Value) there's no Midi port on board. I've also
>>heard of oddities with MIDI to USB converters!

> There should be an extension available which adds the MIDI ports to
> this card (depends on the exact card version, though).
>
>>If I stick in my old PCI 128, can I use the Midi port on that, but still
>>use
>>the higher quality midi set of the Audigy?

> Yes, should work if properly installed. Note that the adapter for the
> 15pin MIDI/Joystick-connector on the PCI128 will work with the PCI128
> card - it is quite common for adapters made for other cards not to
> work with a soundblaster one.

XP

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:54:01 GMT, "Kontaminator"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just purchased a Midi keyboard as I want to get into music production
>and as I have an Audigy 2 (Value) there's no Midi port on board. I've also
>heard of oddities with MIDI to USB converters!
>
>If I stick in my old PCI 128, can I use the Midi port on that, but still use
>the higher quality midi set of the Audigy?
>
>Thanks.

My Audigy 2 ZS has a Joystick port that also double as a MIDI Port..

Also a Firm here has a Kitset to make a MIDI breakout box, I made up one for a
Friend that uses a Audigy 1..

Manuel Marino

>> >I've just purchased a Midi keyboard as I want to get into music
>> >production
>>>and as I have an Audigy 2 (Value) there's no Midi port on board. I've also
>>>heard of oddities with MIDI to USB converters!

This is strange, as example, M-Audio MidiSport are very good!

--
Manuel Marino
Marino Sounds (Italy)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've just purchased a Midi keyboard as I want to get into music production
>and as I have an Audigy 2 (Value) there's no Midi port on board. I've also
>heard of oddities with MIDI to USB converters!
>
>If I stick in my old PCI 128, can I use the Midi port on that, but still use
>the higher quality midi set of the Audigy?
>
>Thanks.

The Joystick Connector is the MIDI Port, a firm here use to make a Very cheap
kit for a MIDI break out box, that just plugged into the Joystick port and
gave one Midi in and 2 out...

A Pro muso is using this one I made up for him..

Bob Masta

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:15:28 +1300, XP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 18:54:01 GMT, "Kontaminator"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've just purchased a Midi keyboard as I want to get into music production
>>and as I have an Audigy 2 (Value) there's no Midi port on board. I've also
>>heard of oddities with MIDI to USB converters!
>>
>>If I stick in my old PCI 128, can I use the Midi port on that, but still use
>>the higher quality midi set of the Audigy?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

>The Joystick Connector is the MIDI Port, a firm here use to make a Very cheap
>kit for a MIDI break out box, that just plugged into the Joystick port and
>gave one Midi in and 2 out...
>

>A Pro muso is using this one I made up for him..

Note that old-style DIN keyboard connectors are identical to MIDI.
You can make a MIDI adaptor by snipping the cable from a junk
keyboard and wiring it to a 15-pin joystick port connector.

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator