thepixelfreak

I do like the mighty mouse. I have one issue that is cropping up lately
that is getting to the point where I want to take it back to the store.
Came with new iMac (mmouse is the wireless bluetooth variety).

The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get stuck
(virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in one
direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling back
and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.

Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

--

thepixelfreak

Daniel Packman

In article <2007061511174616807%not@dotcom>,
thepixelfreak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get stuck
>(virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in one
>direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling back
>and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.
>
>Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

This is a well-known problem with the mighty mouse. I find that
agressively moving the ball about while pressing hard and hold the
rodent upside down clears it quickly. Others have resorted to more
involved procedures. This seems to be the main complaint with this
device.

Ura Dippschit

In article <2007061511174616807%not@dotcom>,
thepixelfreak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

Have you tried turning off for 10 seconds or so and then switch it back
on? This might fix the problem.

Michelle Steiner

In article <200706151338248930-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get
> > stuck (virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in
> > one direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling
> > back and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.
> >
> > Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

> Google lately?
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/yvflyd>

That doesn't tell him whether the problem is a dirty scroll ball,
though. I've had that problem with the Mighty Mouse, but I've also had
it with Microsoft's Laser Mouse and the Intellimouse Explorer, so I
doubt that it's a hardware problem.

--
Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

Michael Vilain

In article <f4uloh$7jk$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Daniel Packman) wrote:

> In article <2007061511174616807%not@dotcom>,
> thepixelfreak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get stuck
> >(virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in one
> >direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling back
> >and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.
> >
> >Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

> This is a well-known problem with the mighty mouse. I find that
> agressively moving the ball about while pressing hard and hold the
> rodent upside down clears it quickly. Others have resorted to more
> involved procedures. This seems to be the main complaint with this
> device.

Yep. I went through 3 Mighty Mice until I had enough. I cleaned the
ball with with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip at least once a week. They
last about 1 year then die.

I finally bought a Macally ioptinet mouse at the local Fry's. It has a
wheel instead of that ball. And the drivers work in MacOS 9, which I
still use on occasion. And it was cheaper!

The old Mighty Mouse, which still works, is sitting in my closet as my
spare.

Warren Oates

In article <200706151338248930-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>,
Jolly Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (Honestly, is it really so hard to search before you ask, even just out
> of pure curiosity to see if someone may have answered your question
> already?

Some of us just like to hang out.
--
W. Oates

Joey Dee from NYC

On Jun 15, 2007, Jolly Roger wrote:

> (Honestly, is it really so hard to search before you ask, even just out
> of pure curiosity to see if someone may have answered your question
> already?

No, but then the experts don't get to strut their stuff.

Think of it as a favor.

(Although even *I* get tired of seeing the same questions asked over and
over. Doesn't happen all that often here, but in the Vista group it's really
tedious.)

Anyway, to keep On Topic, my MM has started doing the same thing (wheel
stickage, that is) and now I know what to do to try to alleviate the problem.
And there I was, thinking it was just something I had to live with.

Peace, and happy weekend.

--
Joey Dee

Remember: It is To Laugh

J.J. O'Shea

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:36:06 -0400, Michael Vilain wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> In article <f4uloh$7jk$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Daniel Packman) wrote:
>
>> In article <2007061511174616807%not@dotcom>,
>> thepixelfreak <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> The issue is the little trackball. It seems to periodically get stuck
>>> (virtually, not physically) and no longer scrolls windows in one
>>> direction or the other. I give it a bit of aggressive scrolling back
>>> and forth and 'plink', it starts working again.
>>>
>>> Anyone seen this? Is it dirty? Can the little bugger be cleaned?

>> This is a well-known problem with the mighty mouse. I find that
>> agressively moving the ball about while pressing hard and hold the
>> rodent upside down clears it quickly. Others have resorted to more
>> involved procedures. This seems to be the main complaint with this
>> device.

> Yep. I went through 3 Mighty Mice until I had enough. I cleaned the
> ball with with isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip at least once a week. They
> last about 1 year then die.

Errm, I bought the first of mine in August 2005, shortly after they came out,
and that one is still working fine. So are the other Mighty Mice I've had on
other Macs. My Mighty Mice give less problems than the old mechanical mouse I
had on my original Mac... and that one lasted seven years, that being how
long I had my original Mac. If any of them need cleaning, a quick rub with a
lint-free cloth and they're back in peak operating order. I don't put alcohol
near it.

> I finally bought a Macally ioptinet mouse at the local Fry's. It has a
> wheel instead of that ball. And the drivers work in MacOS 9, which I
> still use on occasion. And it was cheaper!
>
> The old Mighty Mouse, which still works, is sitting in my closet as my
> spare.

Joey Dee from NYC

On Jun 16, 2007, Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2007-06-16 07:16:50 -0500, Joey Dee from NYC <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> Think of it as a favor.

> I don't know about you, but doing Google searches for people who are
> too lazy to do it themselves isn't exactly the high point of *my* day.
> ; )

Not when you put it that way.

One thing I learned today: The experts do Google searches, too! They don't
just always reach inside their expansive crania and pull out facts. :-)

I'm emboldened!

--
Joey Dee

Remember: It is To Laugh

J.J. O'Shea

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:37:16 -0400, Jolly Roger wrote
(in article <2007061614371675249-jollyroger@REMOVEpoboxcom>):

> On 2007-06-16 13:35:52 -0500, NJ <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 2007-06-16 17:02:36 +0100, Jolly Roger
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> Amazing. You actually throw mouses away when they need a simple
>>> cleaning? Do me a favor - next time you throw one out, let me know.
>>> I'll pay shipping and you can send it to me instead.
>>>
>>> ...what a waste...

>> I got the iMac in Nov 2006, 1st mouse died at Christmas

> Died how? If you are using the term "died" to refer to the scroll ball
> becoming dirty and needing a cleaning, then you are certainly using the
> term "died" incorrectly.

And you gotta wonder what he was _doing_ to get it so dirty so fast, too.

>> , 2nd one died in March

> Again, died how?

How the hell is he 'killing' mice in three months? The Mighty Mouse attached
to this machine is nearly two years old! I got it shortly after the first
Mighty Mice shipped, back in August 2005!

>> - all replaced by Amazon under warranty. When the warranty is over and
>> the (so called) Mighty Mouse dies, for surely it will, I'll get a more
>> reliable type (I have never had a Logitech mouse fail).

> In my 18+ years of Mac usage and ownership, I've never had *any* Apple
> mouse fail.

I got my first Mac in May 1984. I've never had a Mac mouse fail, either. And
only one mouse of any kind has failed on one of my personal machines. That
was a cheap Korean no-name mouse attached to a hand-built WinBox, and it
failed not because of any actual mouse failings but because I ran over its
tail with my computer chair and busted the wires. Damn WinBox mice have tails
that are far too long. I replaced it with another cheap Korean no-name mouse
and paid more attention to where the wheels of my computer chair went.

>> The design is fundamentally flawed - even if it is pretty, poor design
>> is poor design

> How so?

I suspect that what we have here is another clumsy carp who can't control the
pressure his thumb and ring finger apply to the sides of the mouse and can't
or won't adjust his grip... and refuses to turn off the side button.

>> - and at 40 (almost eighty dollars) for a mouse with a wire, damned
>> expensive too.

> You're paying too much then. good price for a Mighty Mouse is $40 to $50:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/yo744a>

The Apple Store UK says that Bluetooth Mighty Mice are 49, and wired ones
are 35. Other mice in the same store range from a low of 16.95 for a
Logitech Pocket Mouse to a high of 49.95 for a Logitech MX518. And the 518
has a wire, and costs more than the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse. Gee. Could it be
that m'man is talking out his ass?

>> I sometimes think that the Mac tifosi will swallow any old rubbish so
>> long as it's from Apple and sleek and white.

Damn. So that's why the Bluetooth mouse that shipped with this iMac is in my
drawer, and why the wired mouse which shipped with my eMac sat in my drawer
into I got the iMac and moved the Mighty Mouse from the eMac to the iMac and
dug the iMac's mouse out of the drawer, eh? So that's why I bought Logitech
mice rather than use the hockey-puck mouse, eh? Thanks ever so much for
telling me, I'd never have known otherwise.

> So why, then, did you buy a Mac?
>
> If you really don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for free -
> I'll even pay shipping. Let me know.

If he's quoting stuff in pounds he's probably in the UK, and tans-Atlantic
shipping is non cheap. I'd back off of that one if I were you.