Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

migrating both raid and not raid IDE to P5AD2 deluxe (using IT8212)

 
 
Gilles Vollant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2005, 07:20 AM
Hello,

I've a computer with 4 year old motherboard (MSI 694D Pro).
This motherboard contain 2 standard Ultra DMA100 port and a Promise Fastrack
100 controller.

Here is the list of the drive on the motherboard:
- connected on the promise Fastrack 100 : two hard disk (60 GB each) in Raid
mirroring
- connected on the 2 standard Ultra DMA100 : a DVD reader, a DVD writer, a
200 GB disk (ultra dma 100) and a 120 GB Disk (ultra dma 100) .

This computer is to be user under Windows XP (and future version of Windows)

Can I buy an asus P5AD2 deluxe and :

- connect the DVD reader and the burner on the intel IDE port
- connect all hard disk to the IT8212.


(as I understand, the IT8212 is only for hard disk)



I want continue to have the 60 GB disk mirrored, and the 200 and 120 GB disk
as independant disk.
Is it possible ? And is it possible without reformat the disk ?

And can I boot on the 200 or 120 GB disk connected on the IT8212 ?


Of course, Sata is nice for future, but I don't want buy new disk at this
time for this computer.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DaveW
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005, 12:17 AM
If you change the motherboard in an XP based system, then you MUST reformat
the OS harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you will
suffer ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.

--
DaveW



"Gilles Vollant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4226baa9$0$5879$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I've a computer with 4 year old motherboard (MSI 694D Pro).
> This motherboard contain 2 standard Ultra DMA100 port and a Promise
> Fastrack 100 controller.
>
> Here is the list of the drive on the motherboard:
> - connected on the promise Fastrack 100 : two hard disk (60 GB each) in
> Raid mirroring
> - connected on the 2 standard Ultra DMA100 : a DVD reader, a DVD writer,
> a 200 GB disk (ultra dma 100) and a 120 GB Disk (ultra dma 100) .
>
> This computer is to be user under Windows XP (and future version of
> Windows)
>
> Can I buy an asus P5AD2 deluxe and :
>
> - connect the DVD reader and the burner on the intel IDE port
> - connect all hard disk to the IT8212.
>
>
> (as I understand, the IT8212 is only for hard disk)
>
>
>
> I want continue to have the 60 GB disk mirrored, and the 200 and 120 GB
> disk as independant disk.
> Is it possible ? And is it possible without reformat the disk ?
>
> And can I boot on the 200 or 120 GB disk connected on the IT8212 ?
>
>
> Of course, Sata is nice for future, but I don't want buy new disk at this
> time for this computer.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gilles Vollant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005, 04:02 AM
The 200 GB hard disk contain one 30 GB partiton with Windows and software.
Other partition on the 200 GB hard disk and all other disk contain only
data.
I'm ok to reformat only this 30 GB system partition.

But this was not my question.

"DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you change the motherboard in an XP based system, then you MUST
> reformat the OS harddrive and do a fresh install of the OS. Otherwise you
> will suffer ongoing nasty Registry errors and data corruption.
>
> --
> DaveW
>
>
>
> "Gilles Vollant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4226baa9$0$5879$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've a computer with 4 year old motherboard (MSI 694D Pro).
>> This motherboard contain 2 standard Ultra DMA100 port and a Promise
>> Fastrack 100 controller.
>>
>> Here is the list of the drive on the motherboard:
>> - connected on the promise Fastrack 100 : two hard disk (60 GB each) in
>> Raid mirroring
>> - connected on the 2 standard Ultra DMA100 : a DVD reader, a DVD writer,
>> a 200 GB disk (ultra dma 100) and a 120 GB Disk (ultra dma 100) .
>>
>> This computer is to be user under Windows XP (and future version of
>> Windows)
>>
>> Can I buy an asus P5AD2 deluxe and :
>>
>> - connect the DVD reader and the burner on the intel IDE port
>> - connect all hard disk to the IT8212.
>>
>>
>> (as I understand, the IT8212 is only for hard disk)
>>
>>
>>
>> I want continue to have the 60 GB disk mirrored, and the 200 and 120 GB
>> disk as independant disk.
>> Is it possible ? And is it possible without reformat the disk ?
>>
>> And can I boot on the 200 or 120 GB disk connected on the IT8212 ?
>>
>>
>> Of course, Sata is nice for future, but I don't want buy new disk at this
>> time for this computer.
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob Nicholson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005, 10:10 AM
> I'm ok to reformat only this 30 GB system partition.

Yes, that will generally work fine and in fact is in general a "good idea".
If you only have one large hard disk in there, only use (say) 30GB for the
operating system partition.

Rob.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gilles Vollant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2005, 05:15 PM
ok, but noone had idea for my real question , which is not related to
windows itself?

"Rob Nicholson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tuWVd.187$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm ok to reformat only this 30 GB system partition.

>
> Yes, that will generally work fine and in fact is in general a "good
> idea". If you only have one large hard disk in there, only use (say) 30GB
> for the operating system partition.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob Nicholson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2005, 11:21 AM
>Can I buy an asus P5AD2 deluxe and :

>- connect the DVD reader and the burner on the intel IDE port
>- connect all hard disk to the IT8212.


This one? Well, I don't don't know the board you mention and assume the
IT8212 is a SATA controller but the answer is generally yes, that's how you
connect it.

Rob.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gilles Vollant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2005, 01:35 PM

"Rob Nicholson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FCgWd.225$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Can I buy an asus P5AD2 deluxe and :

>
>>- connect the DVD reader and the burner on the intel IDE port
>>- connect all hard disk to the IT8212.

>
> This one? Well, I don't don't know the board you mention and assume the
> IT8212 is a SATA controller but the answer is generally yes, that's how
> you connect it.


IT8212 is a RAID for Ultra dma.

My question are:
- can I mix two independant UDMA disk and an existing mirror (raid 1 on
promise Fasttrack 100) of two other disk on this controller ?
- if yes, do I need reformat the mirror ? (I suppose there is no problem
with independant disk)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bios not detecting both ide hard drives grylion Asus 6 04-07-2005 07:38 AM
migrating both raid and not raid PATA to ITE IT8212 (on motherboard like GA-8GPNXP Duo) Gilles Vollant Gigabyte 1 03-19-2005 10:37 PM
migrating both raid and not raid PATA to VIA6410 (on motherboard like 915P Neo2 Platinum) Gilles Vollant MSI 0 03-19-2005 10:43 AM
A8V promise controller question: can ide Raid & Sata Raid both be used simultaneously? Bucky Asus 5 03-06-2005 10:46 AM
Re: Bill & dimbo jimbo -- I'M PLEASED TO SEE THAT YOU HAVE BOTH LEARNED YOUR LESSON, MAKE SURE YOU BOTH KEEP IT THAT WAY YOU LAME ARSEHOLES!! @ Laptops 1 09-29-2004 07:30 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment