MMC on Windows 7 and AIW 9600XT?

Tom Rapner

Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my All-
in-Wonder 9600XT?

I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI --
and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of success I've
found were from one poster who installed a Vista version of MMC first and
then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have the same luck, however,
and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to install Windows 7 in any case.)

I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
Windows 7.

Wile E. Coyote

Tom Rapner wrote:
> Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my All-
> in-Wonder 9600XT?
>
> I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI --
> and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of success I've
> found were from one poster who installed a Vista version of MMC first and
> then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have the same luck, however,
> and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to install Windows 7 in any case.)
>
> I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
> motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
> capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
> Windows 7.

You won't like this but that's what you get for buying an All-In-Wonder
card. Buy dedicated video cards and dedicated TV tuner cards is the only
way to go.

Tom Rapner

"Wile E. Coyote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:yZqNm.17307$(E-Mail Removed):

> Tom Rapner wrote:
>> Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my
>> All- in-Wonder 9600XT?
>>
>> I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI
>> -- and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of
>> success I've found were from one poster who installed a Vista version
>> of MMC first and then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have
>> the same luck, however, and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to
>> install Windows 7 in any case.)
>>
>> I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
>> motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
>> capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
>> Windows 7.

> You won't like this but that's what you get for buying an
> All-In-Wonder card. Buy dedicated video cards and dedicated TV tuner
> cards is the only way to go.

So that's your contribution to this thread? Concluding that my purchase
of a combo card -- for a motherboard that had no available slots for a
dedicated TV tuner -- and which has performed stellarly over the years,
capturing thousands of hours of video -- was a mistake?

You won't like this, but you're a jerk.

To anyone who can address my question seriously, I'd be grateful.

Wile E. Coyote

Tom Rapner wrote:

> You won't like this, but you're a jerk.

I may well be a jerk but I am an honest jerk and you are a dumbass for
buying an All-in-Wonder card in the first place. 9600XT is old now so
time to upgrade. Get a mb with more PCI slots while you are at it.

Tom Rapner

"Wile E. Coyote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1kBNm.53037
$(E-Mail Removed):

> I may well be a jerk but I am an honest jerk and you are a dumbass for
> buying an All-in-Wonder card in the first place. 9600XT is old now so
> time to upgrade. Get a mb with more PCI slots while you are at it.

In fact you are an *ignorant* jerk, the matter of your professed
"honesty" aside. It was already stated that for the PC in question, if
the purpose was to capture video, a combo card was the only choice
available at the time it was purchased, installed and deployed.

And whether or not your initial post was "honest" is irrelevant. First,
it was a statement of opinion, not fact, and as such neither subject to
being labeled "honest" or otherwise. But moreover, it had no purpose
than to belittle. It was counter-productive at minimum.

Whether it is "time to upgrade" is not for you to decide, but I am not
throwing away this PC.

My question remains, "Is there any way to run MMC on a Windows 7
computer containing the All-in-Wonder 9600XT?" The floor is no longer
open to you.

Jerk.

PhxGrunge

"Tom Rapner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b05cd32$0$582$(E-Mail Removed)4all.se. ..
> Is there any way to get Multimedia Center working on Windows 7 for my All-
> in-Wonder 9600XT?
>
> I'm aware that no new drivers or support will be forthcoming from ATI --
> and I've tried searching on Google, but the only reports of success I've
> found were from one poster who installed a Vista version of MMC first and
> then upgraded to Windows 7. (Others did not have the same luck, however,
> and I don't wish to purchase Vista just to install Windows 7 in any case.)
>
> I'd hate to be stuck with the choice of either having to upgrade my
> motherboard and graphics card and/or TV tuner, living without video
> capture, or forgoing upgrading and wasting the $200 I just spend on
> Windows 7.

Try the Windows 7 compatibility mode by running XP in a virtual window over
Win 7. You should be able to install drivers and MMC in the XP window. You
just need enough memory to do this.

Wile E. Coyote

Tom Rapner wrote:

> In fact you are an *ignorant* jerk, the matter of your professed
> "honesty" aside. It was already stated that for the PC in question, if
> the purpose was to capture video, a combo card was the only choice
> available at the time it was purchased, installed and deployed.
>
> And whether or not your initial post was "honest" is irrelevant. First,
> it was a statement of opinion, not fact, and as such neither subject to
> being labeled "honest" or otherwise. But moreover, it had no purpose
> than to belittle. It was counter-productive at minimum.
>
> Whether it is "time to upgrade" is not for you to decide, but I am not
> throwing away this PC.
>
> My question remains, "Is there any way to run MMC on a Windows 7
> computer containing the All-in-Wonder 9600XT?" The floor is no longer
> open to you.
>
> Jerk.

Your post is full of so much bullshit. An All-in-Wonder card was the
only option at the time to be able to capture video? Bullshit. You can
even buy external video capture devices so no PCI slot is even needed.
I told you the solution to your dilemma noob so use it or ignore it, I
don't give a ****.

Wile E. Coyote

First of One wrote:
> Is there a functional version of MMC for Vista?

Yes, Vista comes with MMC.

Tom Rapner

"Wile E. Coyote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Z6YNm.26789$(E-Mail Removed):

> Tom Rapner wrote:
>

>> In fact you are an *ignorant* jerk, the matter of your professed
>> "honesty" aside. It was already stated that for the PC in question,
>> if the purpose was to capture video, a combo card was the only choice
>> available at the time it was purchased, installed and deployed.
>>
>> And whether or not your initial post was "honest" is irrelevant.
>> First, it was a statement of opinion, not fact, and as such neither
>> subject to being labeled "honest" or otherwise. But moreover, it had
>> no purpose than to belittle. It was counter-productive at minimum.
>>
>> Whether it is "time to upgrade" is not for you to decide, but I am
>> not throwing away this PC.
>>
>> My question remains, "Is there any way to run MMC on a Windows 7
>> computer containing the All-in-Wonder 9600XT?" The floor is no
>> longer open to you.
>>
>> Jerk.

> Your post is full of so much bullshit. An All-in-Wonder card was the
> only option at the time to be able to capture video? Bullshit. You can
> even buy external video capture devices so no PCI slot is even needed.
> I told you the solution to your dilemma noob so use it or ignore it, I
> don't give a ****.

An AGP combo card was the only option for this specific machine at the
time it was put in service.

Your refusal to believe it, however, does not justify your poor manners.
There's was no call for answering an honest, innocent query on a tech
board with derision. How does that help anyone?

Tom Rapner

"First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> Is there a functional version of MMC for Vista?
>
> If so, then I assume you've tried installing it in Win7 with no success?
>
> If not, then I don't think it will ever work. Vista has a different WDDM
> driver model than XP after all.

Yes, according to reports ATI released at least one TV tuner/MMC update
three years ago for Vista, which has apparently since been pulled. I was
hoping someone here could point me to a mirror.