Mnior upgrade 3.06 Ghz P4.

Marcus

Hello Chaps,

Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have just
replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
Quick Specs

P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
Enermax 450w PSU

The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to fit
a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
photo of it so I could see how it fits.

I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock and
after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the CPU
Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that Abit
temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
know if this is true.

Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.

Thanks for reading

Marcus

blahblah_nospam@sbcglobal.net

"Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Chaps,
>
> Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have just
> replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
> Quick Specs
>
> P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
> 1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
> Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
> Enermax 450w PSU
>
> The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
> 70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
> 2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
> there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to fit
> a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
> wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
> photo of it so I could see how it fits.
>
> I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock and
> after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the CPU
> Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
> over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
> chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
> about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that Abit
> temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
> know if this is true.
>
> Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
> these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.
>
> Thanks for reading

I'm running a 3.0GHz P4 at 3.6GHz (240x15) with a Zalman
CNPS9500LED on an IC7-G Max II. Idle temps are ~42C
and load temps range into the mid-upper 50's C on a warm
afternoon.

The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
have on your NB with a passive cooler -- I'm using Zalman's
ZM-NBF47: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556028901.html
and it fits like a glove next to/slightly under the CNPS9500.

Not only did my NB temps not go up when I replaced Abit's
dinky hs/fan with this cooler, temps went DOWN by 5C, and
residual airflow from the 9500 is more than enough for the NB.
The extra quietness by removing Abit's fan was an added bonus.
It was the best ten bucks I've ever spent on this system.

To answer your other question, generally if temps reach above
mid-60C on a P4 you really do need better cooling. I can't
speak about the temp misreporting issue, I haven't seen it on
my IC7-G.

VideoReDo Sucks

"Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Chaps,
>
> Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have

just
> replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
> Quick Specs
>
> P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
> 1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
> Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
> Enermax 450w PSU
>
> The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
> 70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
> 2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
> there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to

fit
> a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
> wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
> photo of it so I could see how it fits.
>
> I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock

and
> after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the

CPU
> Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
> over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
> chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
> about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that

Abit
> temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
> know if this is true.
>
> Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
> these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.
>
> Thanks for reading
>
> Marcus

Like you, I have a 3.06GHz. Northwood P4.
Mine maxes out at 158Mhz. FSB.

This is with a Zalman 7000cu on the chip and a mirror polished (by me)
Thermaltake cooler on the NB. Temps are never a problem, the CPU just won't
be pushed beyond 158.

Phil Weldon

'blahblah' wrote, in part:
| The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
| have on your NB with a passive cooler
_____

And a passive cooler on the NorthBridge chip will affect the CPU temperature
how?

Phil Weldon

message news:tNN7h.8311$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> [...]
| CNPS9500LED on an IC7-G Max II. Idle temps are ~42C
| and load temps range into the mid-upper 50's C on a warm
| afternoon.
|
| The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
| have on your NB with a passive cooler -- I'm using Zalman's
| ZM-NBF47: http://www.coolerguys.com/840556028901.html
| and it fits like a glove next to/slightly under the CNPS9500.
|
| Not only did my NB temps not go up when I replaced Abit's
| dinky hs/fan with this cooler, temps went DOWN by 5C, and
| residual airflow from the 9500 is more than enough for the NB.
| The extra quietness by removing Abit's fan was an added bonus.
| It was the best ten bucks I've ever spent on this system.
|
| To answer your other question, generally if temps reach above
| mid-60C on a P4 you really do need better cooling. I can't
| speak about the temp misreporting issue, I haven't seen it on

Phil Weldon

'Marcus' wrote:
| Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have
just
| replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
| Quick Specs
|
| P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
| 1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
| Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
| Enermax 450w PSU
|
| The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
| 70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
| 2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
| there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to
fit
| a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
| wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
| photo of it so I could see how it fits.
|
| I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock
and
| after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the
CPU
| Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
| over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
| chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
| about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that
Abit
| temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
| know if this is true.
|
| Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
| these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.
_____

Something is likely wrong with your heat sink installation. Your CPU
temperature should not be that high with proper heatsink installation, even
with the stock Intel heat sink and fan. Also check the air temperature as
it enters the heatsink. Check the motherboard temperature. Check the
ambient room air temperature. Report all these temperatures and perhaps
someone can offer useful advice, something that is not very easy lacking
such key information.

You could try downloading and installing MotherBoard Monitor 5. Though it
has not been updated for the newer motherboards, it should work with your
aBit BE7 (and I have never heard that aBit reported CPU temperatures are '10
C higher.) You haven't mentioned raising the CPU core voltage, that is
almost always necessary to get higher overclocking percentages than you
report.

Phil Weldon

"Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hello Chaps,
|
| Just done a minor upgrade to my nearly 4 year old home build PC. I have
just
| replaced my P4 2.66Gh CPU (overclocked to 2.96Ghz) to a 3.06 HT P4 CPU.
| Quick Specs
|
| P4 3.06Ghz (Current overclock 3.47Ghz (151x23))
| 1GB Corsair XMS 3500 running at 200Mhz (151x1.33)
| Abit BE7 Raid Motherboard
| Enermax 450w PSU
|
| The most I can overclock my CPU to without the temps going well into the
| 70's is 3.47Ghz, I'd like to replace the standard Heatsink and fan from my
| 2.66 but I don't think I have the room around the 478 socket housing as
| there are capacitors and the Northbridge heatsink in the way. I like to
fit
| a Gigabyte G Power Pro cooler but I don't think it's going to fit, I just
| wondered if anyone with an Abit BE7 motherboard has one fitted and has a
| photo of it so I could see how it fits.
|
| I have been using Sisoft Sandra "Burn in Computer" to test my overclock
and
| after 15 mins the CPU is 70c and the Chipset is 73c, today I lapped the
CPU
| Heatsink and applied Arctic silver 5 to both heatsinks, I have a large fan
| over the Chipset but I'm still getting these temps, is it normal for the
| chipset temperature to be higher than the CPU temp and should I be worried
| about these temps or will they be OK. I read somewhere a while ago that
Abit
| temperature monitoring is always 10c higher than they are stating, anyone
| know if this is true.
|
| Do any of you have a 3.06 P4, I just wondered what an average overclock on
| these CPU's were when they were current, and what are your temps.
|
| Thanks for reading
|
| Marcus

JAD

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Rrm8h.1218$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> 'blahblah' wrote, in part:
> | The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
> | have on your NB with a passive cooler
> _____
>
> And a passive cooler on the NorthBridge chip will affect the CPU

temperature
> how?

makes it jealous

> [...]

> | and it fits like a glove next to/slightly under the CNPS9500.
> |
> | Not only did my NB temps not go up when I replaced Abit's
> | dinky hs/fan with this cooler, temps went DOWN by 5C, and
> | residual airflow from the 9500 is more than enough for the NB.
> | The extra quietness by removing Abit's fan was an added bonus.
> | It was the best ten bucks I've ever spent on this system.
> |
> | To answer your other question, generally if temps reach above
> | mid-60C on a P4 you really do need better cooling. I can't
> | speak about the temp misreporting issue, I haven't seen it on
> | my IC7-G.

Marcus

> Like you, I have a 3.06GHz. Northwood P4.
> Mine maxes out at 158Mhz. FSB.
>
> This is with a Zalman 7000cu on the chip and a mirror polished (by me)
> Thermaltake cooler on the NB. Temps are never a problem, the CPU just

So really me getting just under 3.5Ghz isn't too bad an overclock
considering I'm on a standard 2.66Gz P4 cooler. This will keep me going for
another year or so.

Marcus

"> Something is likely wrong with your heat sink installation. Your CPU
> temperature should not be that high with proper heatsink installation,
> even
> with the stock Intel heat sink and fan. Also check the air temperature as
> it enters the heatsink. Check the motherboard temperature. Check the
> ambient room air temperature. Report all these temperatures and perhaps
> someone can offer useful advice, something that is not very easy lacking
> such key information.
>
> You could try downloading and installing MotherBoard Monitor 5. Though it
> has not been updated for the newer motherboards, it should work with your
> aBit BE7 (and I have never heard that aBit reported CPU temperatures are
> '10
> C higher.) You haven't mentioned raising the CPU core voltage, that is
> almost always necessary to get higher overclocking percentages than you
> report.

Hello Phil,

I've had the cooler off several times and I'm 100% sure it's contacting cpu
correctly. My old CPU (P4 2.66Ghz overclocked to 2.96Ghz) maxed out at 67c
and that gave me no problems and is nearly 4 years old. I've used
Motherboard manager for years, it reports case temp at 32c, I have 4 case
fans so theres plenty of air passing through case.

Out of interest I ran the burn in tests with my CPU at stock settings and
the CPU maxed out at 64c. The cooler I'm using of this 3.06Ghz cou is from
my 2.66Ghz CPU so I guess it's less than a standard cooler.

I am running the CPU core at +5%, at default voltage the CPU crashed out at
152x23, at +5% it crashes out at only a few FSB Mhz's more so I guess it's a
heat issue. I might just test it again at stock voltage as at 152x23 Sisoft
crashed rather than the PC so maybe it was just a program error.

To be honest I'm happy at 3.5Ghz, I plan to do a major upgrade in about a
year.

What happened to this newsgroup, there used to be hundreds of posts years
ago, could you recomend an overclocking news group, I'm out of touch with
the newer hardware and would like to get back into it in preperation for
next years upgrade.

Thanks

Marcus

Marcus

"=>
> Like you, I have a 3.06GHz. Northwood P4.
> Mine maxes out at 158Mhz. FSB.
>
> This is with a Zalman 7000cu on the chip and a mirror polished (by me)
> Thermaltake cooler on the NB. Temps are never a problem, the CPU just
> won't
> be pushed beyond 158.

What voltage are you running the CPU on and which motherboard ??

Richard Hopkins

"JAD" wrote in message...
> "Phil Weldon" replied to 'blahblah' thus:
>> | The best advice I can offer is to replace any active cooling you
>> | have on your NB with a passive cooler
>> _____
>>
>> And a passive cooler on the NorthBridge chip will affect the CPU

> temperature
>> how?

> makes it jealous

If he replaced it with that Zalman thing, it'd probably make it blue...
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom