Mobile rack problem XP

Ken

I purchased a mobile rack and three interchangeable trays for storing
data I don't need very often. I installed it first in my Windows 2000
system and it functions just fine--the disks are recognized when
inserted and the powered up, and I can interchange them at will without
problems.

I recently built a new system based on Windows XP SP3. I purchased a
second mobile rack for that unit with the expectation that I could use
the mobile hdd's in either workstation.

On the XPstation I have a C: drive active partition, a D: DVD writer, an
E: partition (on the same drive as the C: drive) and an F: drive on its
own partition (separate drive). I have 6 SATA connectors on my Intel
DP35DP mb with the DVD writer on the first, disk 0 on the second, disk 1
on the third, and the mobile rack on the fourth (as they appear in the BIOS)

When I insert the tray/drive into the internal mobile rack into the XP
unit, one of two things happens:
1. the drive is not recognized
2. the drive is recognized but my drive letter for my DVD writer is
reassigned from D: to G: drive.
3. the mobile rack is not recognized in the BIOS as existingMobile

I thought it was the cables, but that is not an issue. I thought it was
the connectors, but those are not the issue. It is not the units, as
both mobile racks work in the Win2K station without problem. Thinking
it might be data written to the hdd by Win2K that was causing the
problem, I reformatted the disks, but that did not help.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something that needs to be
changed in the BIOS of the new Intel motherboard? Is this a problem
with the mobile rack that is installed in my XP machine? (the unit in
the Win2K machine is IDE and in the XP machine it is a SATA connection)

Thanks

Lil' Dave

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w0FXj.13$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I purchased a mobile rack and three interchangeable trays for storing data
>I don't need very often. I installed it first in my Windows 2000 system
>and it functions just fine--the disks are recognized when inserted and the
>powered up, and I can interchange them at will without problems.
>
> I recently built a new system based on Windows XP SP3. I purchased a
> second mobile rack for that unit with the expectation that I could use the
> mobile hdd's in either workstation.
>
> On the XPstation I have a C: drive active partition, a D: DVD writer, an
> E: partition (on the same drive as the C: drive) and an F: drive on its
> own partition (separate drive). I have 6 SATA connectors on my Intel
> DP35DP mb with the DVD writer on the first, disk 0 on the second, disk 1
> on the third, and the mobile rack on the fourth (as they appear in the
> BIOS)
>
> When I insert the tray/drive into the internal mobile rack into the XP
> unit, one of two things happens:
> 1. the drive is not recognized
> 2. the drive is recognized but my drive letter for my DVD writer is
> reassigned from D: to G: drive.
> 3. the mobile rack is not recognized in the BIOS as existingMobile
>
> I thought it was the cables, but that is not an issue. I thought it was
> the connectors, but those are not the issue. It is not the units, as both
> mobile racks work in the Win2K station without problem. Thinking it might
> be data written to the hdd by Win2K that was causing the problem, I
> reformatted the disks, but that did not help.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something that needs to be
> changed in the BIOS of the new Intel motherboard? Is this a problem with
> the mobile rack that is installed in my XP machine? (the unit in the
> Win2K machine is IDE and in the XP machine it is a SATA connection)
>
> Thanks

Since the SATA rack system is being flaky, not the ide one you use on the 2K
system; the ide one is not an issue. There is a 2K problem with NTFS prior
to 2K SP2 for XP.

As far as utilization and connection, I would use the traditional onboard
hard disks, DVD/CD, then, removable media order for connections order.

In XP, I would reassign the DVD to some other drive letter that you probably
will never use. S: or T: for instance. I do this from the git-go
immediately after installing XP myself.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
Much less cure.

Ken

Lil' Dave said the following on 5/17/2008 7:56 PM:
> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:w0FXj.13$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I purchased a mobile rack and three interchangeable trays for storing data
>> I don't need very often. I installed it first in my Windows 2000 system
>> and it functions just fine--the disks are recognized when inserted and the
>> powered up, and I can interchange them at will without problems.
>>
>> I recently built a new system based on Windows XP SP3. I purchased a
>> second mobile rack for that unit with the expectation that I could use the
>> mobile hdd's in either workstation.
>>
>> On the XPstation I have a C: drive active partition, a D: DVD writer, an
>> E: partition (on the same drive as the C: drive) and an F: drive on its
>> own partition (separate drive). I have 6 SATA connectors on my Intel
>> DP35DP mb with the DVD writer on the first, disk 0 on the second, disk 1
>> on the third, and the mobile rack on the fourth (as they appear in the
>> BIOS)
>>
>> When I insert the tray/drive into the internal mobile rack into the XP
>> unit, one of two things happens:
>> 1. the drive is not recognized
>> 2. the drive is recognized but my drive letter for my DVD writer is
>> reassigned from D: to G: drive.
>> 3. the mobile rack is not recognized in the BIOS as existingMobile
>>
>> I thought it was the cables, but that is not an issue. I thought it was
>> the connectors, but those are not the issue. It is not the units, as both
>> mobile racks work in the Win2K station without problem. Thinking it might
>> be data written to the hdd by Win2K that was causing the problem, I
>> reformatted the disks, but that did not help.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something that needs to be
>> changed in the BIOS of the new Intel motherboard? Is this a problem with
>> the mobile rack that is installed in my XP machine? (the unit in the
>> Win2K machine is IDE and in the XP machine it is a SATA connection)
>>
>> Thanks

> Since the SATA rack system is being flaky, not the ide one you use on the 2K
> system; the ide one is not an issue. There is a 2K problem with NTFS prior
> to 2K SP2 for XP.
>
> As far as utilization and connection, I would use the traditional onboard
> hard disks, DVD/CD, then, removable media order for connections order.
>
> In XP, I would reassign the DVD to some other drive letter that you probably
> will never use. S: or T: for instance. I do this from the git-go
> immediately after installing XP myself.

Actually, I am wrong about the connection of the Win2K system. It, too,
is SATA.

Ken

Lil' Dave wrote:
> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:w0FXj.13$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I purchased a mobile rack and three interchangeable trays for storing data
>> I don't need very often. I installed it first in my Windows 2000 system
>> and it functions just fine--the disks are recognized when inserted and the
>> powered up, and I can interchange them at will without problems.
>>
>> I recently built a new system based on Windows XP SP3. I purchased a
>> second mobile rack for that unit with the expectation that I could use the
>> mobile hdd's in either workstation.
>>
>> On the XPstation I have a C: drive active partition, a D: DVD writer, an
>> E: partition (on the same drive as the C: drive) and an F: drive on its
>> own partition (separate drive). I have 6 SATA connectors on my Intel
>> DP35DP mb with the DVD writer on the first, disk 0 on the second, disk 1
>> on the third, and the mobile rack on the fourth (as they appear in the
>> BIOS)
>>
>> When I insert the tray/drive into the internal mobile rack into the XP
>> unit, one of two things happens:
>> 1. the drive is not recognized
>> 2. the drive is recognized but my drive letter for my DVD writer is
>> reassigned from D: to G: drive.
>> 3. the mobile rack is not recognized in the BIOS as existingMobile
>>
>> I thought it was the cables, but that is not an issue. I thought it was
>> the connectors, but those are not the issue. It is not the units, as both
>> mobile racks work in the Win2K station without problem. Thinking it might
>> be data written to the hdd by Win2K that was causing the problem, I
>> reformatted the disks, but that did not help.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there something that needs to be
>> changed in the BIOS of the new Intel motherboard? Is this a problem with
>> the mobile rack that is installed in my XP machine? (the unit in the
>> Win2K machine is IDE and in the XP machine it is a SATA connection)
>>
>> Thanks

> Since the SATA rack system is being flaky, not the ide one you use on the 2K
> system; the ide one is not an issue. There is a 2K problem with NTFS prior
> to 2K SP2 for XP.
>
> As far as utilization and connection, I would use the traditional onboard
> hard disks, DVD/CD, then, removable media order for connections order.
>
> In XP, I would reassign the DVD to some other drive letter that you probably
> will never use. S: or T: for instance. I do this from the git-go
> immediately after installing XP myself.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "I would use the traditional
onboard
> hard disks, DVD/CD, then, removable media order for connections

order." Can one choose the order in which the connections are made to
various devices? Where is that done in the BIOS? Thanks

Mobile rack problem WinXP Ken Intel 0 05-17-2008 05:46 PM
cheap LG Mobile Motorola Mobile Nokia Mobile Philips MobileSony-ericsson Mobile yuwenwu004@gmail.com Apple 0 12-09-2007 09:02 PM
Problem mounting MSA1000 in Compaq/HP H9A15-MC rack Alan Frisbie HP 0 07-05-2006 11:39 PM
A8V: bootorder always changes from SATA to IDE (mobile rack) Dieter Baurecht Asus 1 12-21-2005 11:14 AM
Guillemot Maxi Studio Isis XL problem with rack =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Klaus_Sch=F6ffmann?= Hardware 1 08-02-2003 08:50 AM