MobileMe Zombies

John Varela

Mobile Me is dead but it lingers on with an icon in my menu bar, an
icon in System Preferences, an iDisk icon in the Finder's Go menu,
etc.

Can anyone point me at instructions for purging MobileMe from the
system? 10.6.8.

--
John Varela

David Empson

John Varela <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Mobile Me is dead but it lingers on with an icon in my menu bar, an
> icon in System Preferences, an iDisk icon in the Finder's Go menu,
> etc.
>
> Can anyone point me at instructions for purging MobileMe from the
> system? 10.6.8.

You can at least hide the visible signs on the menu bar and in Finder:

Hold down the Command key and drag the MobileMe Sync icon down off the
menu bar.

Hold down the Command key and drag the iDisk icon out of the Finder
sidebar.

You can't easily get rid of MobileMe in System Preferences. That would
require a software update from Apple, or an unsupported modification to
the system.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Lewis

In message <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-OWCyBwBKLnXF@localhost>
John Varela <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Mobile Me is dead but it lingers on with an icon in my menu bar, an
> icon in System Preferences, an iDisk icon in the Finder's Go menu,
> etc.

> Can anyone point me at instructions for purging MobileMe from the
> system? 10.6.8.

Install 10.8?

--
Maybe I should have seen it as some kind of sign, except I don't believe
in them no more; no no, but I believe these things I can't forget, tho I

John Varela

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 04:00:36 UTC, (E-Mail Removed) (David
Empson) wrote:

> John Varela <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Mobile Me is dead but it lingers on with an icon in my menu bar, an
> > icon in System Preferences, an iDisk icon in the Finder's Go menu,
> > etc.
> >
> > Can anyone point me at instructions for purging MobileMe from the
> > system? 10.6.8.

> You can at least hide the visible signs on the menu bar and in Finder:
>
> Hold down the Command key and drag the MobileMe Sync icon down off the
> menu bar.
>
> Hold down the Command key and drag the iDisk icon out of the Finder
> sidebar.
>
> You can't easily get rid of MobileMe in System Preferences. That would
> require a software update from Apple, or an unsupported modification to
> the system.

Thanks. I had already removed iDisk from the Finder sidebar but it
remains in the Go menu. I purged some MobileMe things and the icon
has disappeared from the menu bar; I don't know why. Today I found
and removed some MobileMe items and even some .mac items from Little
Snitch, but at least one .mac item can't be removed.

I suppose this is part of Apple's incentivization for Mountain Lion.

--
John Varela

John Varela

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 04:59:09 UTC, Lewis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In message <51W5y0sPNk52-pn2-OWCyBwBKLnXF@localhost>
> John Varela <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Mobile Me is dead but it lingers on with an icon in my menu bar, an
> > icon in System Preferences, an iDisk icon in the Finder's Go menu,
> > etc.

> > Can anyone point me at instructions for purging MobileMe from the
> > system? 10.6.8.

> Install 10.8?

Just as soon as they include Rosetta in 10.8 and retrofit iCloud to
the g5.

Actually, now that I have Dropbox, BusyCal, and MacHighway I don't
need anything from MobileMe or its successor.

--
John Varela

David Ritz

gtr

On 2012-07-20 21:44:59 +0000, John Varela said:

> I suppose this is part of Apple's incentivization for Mountain Lion.

Would the word "incentive" work here as well?

Davoud

John Varela:
> > I suppose this is part of Apple's incentivization for Mountain Lion.

gtr:
> Would the word "incentive" work here as well?

Not really. It seems that made-up, big words are needed to lend
importance to the word and to the user of the word. As an example,
every manufacturer has a product line, but it takes a Big, Important
Manufacturer to have an ecosystem. Apple's line of hand-held products,
referred to as the "iOS ecosystem" by all really (self) Important
People, springs to mind.

Such language makes me want to visit trauma upon people's crania.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

gtr

On 2012-07-23 02:20:55 +0000, Davoud said:

> Such language makes me want to visit trauma upon people's crania.

Me, I just want to go upside their head.

Davoud

Paul Sture wrote:
> I may be wrong but I see things like "incentivization" as evidence of a
> strong Germanic language heritage in the US.

Incentivization is a neologism that is evidence only of the fact there
are people who don't know any better than to use pompous, meaningless
words. These folks haven't learned their Shakespeare, and they do not
know that "...brevity is the soul of wit..." (though the passage in
which that appears is cleverly ironic in that it contains much pompous
language).

The suffix -ation is of Latin, not Germanic, origin.

As for a strong Germanic language heritage in the U.S., the primary
language here is American English. English is a Germanic language. That
means that our core vocabulary and core grammar are derived from
proto-German. Our Germanic language heritage could hardly be much
stronger than that, could it? Recent research reveals that English is
much farther removed from German in time than was once thought, which
accounts for the fact that the resemblance today is superficial. Our
Germanic language heritage is further disguised by the borrowing of
large numbers words from other languages, particularly Greek and Latin,
but also Arabic, Hebrew, Hindi, Sanskrit, and numerous others.

Did you know that that most German of cognates, berg, burg, and other
variations, is, in fact, not German at all, but is derived from a
Sanskrit word? It is cognate with the "-pore" in Singapore, for
example, also the -bury in such names as Waterbury (a common American
place name). In English we have it as burg, berg, burgh, bury, berry,
and borough, for example. In French it appears in bourgeois. Original
meaning: a walled city, usually on a hill. (Having a city on a hill
served two purposes--it let you see the enemy coming and it avoided
building cities on arable land.) City and hill together pretty well
describe berg's various meanings in German, do they not?

<http://www.davidillig.com/daoud.shtml>

"MobileMe" Update? Davoud Apple 7 07-13-2008 11:53 PM
MobileMe question (email) SpaceMarine Apple 1 06-28-2008 07:29 PM
Looking Forward to MobileMe TaliesinSoft Apple 4 06-23-2008 06:57 PM
Zombies Infest my Mac... Bob Blaylock Apple 3 01-28-2005 02:08 PM