Oh Well

We, my son-in-law, grandson, and myself are trying to build a gaming machine. So far we have assembled the following:

CPU is intel Pentium 4 3.0G (800Mhz)

Mobo is Aopen AX4C Max, Intel 875P Chipset Ultra ATA133 ATX Form FActor w/1AGP98X), 5xPCI + a lot of other stuff

RAM is Crucial / Micron 512MB PC3200 400Mhz CL3 DDR DIMM (1 stick)

Vid card is ATI | Radeon 9800 Pro 128M 8X RTL

Harddrive is WD Caviar 205 BA 20.5gegs connected to mobo with 80 wire flat cable, just formatted for fresh install

Monitor is a 17 inch KDS Visual Sensations 19" and has been working flawlessly for a while.

3.5" A drive

Nothing else

When it is switched on the fans start working, an LED on the mobo flashes once and another comes on steady, nothing on the monitor except it's on self test which comes on if nothing else comes on, and a squeky scratchy voice on the pc speaker which sounds like it's saying "CPU idi" or "CPU edi" or maybe "CPUvdi" or no telling what.

The mobo and cpu were ordered as a compatable unit from mwave.com but not assembled. The cpu had an intel inside label on the flat side that mounts to the fan heat sink. That label was removed. The ram was ordered seperate. The monitor and HDD were on a previously owned computer and working fine.

Can anyone suggest a solution or advice on the compatability of these parts.

thx
Tommy Mathis

Three things I can think of to try. First, make sure that the extra P4 power
plug is connected. It is located next to the first memory slot. Second, try
resetting the CMOS jumper. Some boards need to have this done if you change
a CPU, and I am assuming the board may have possibly been tested with a
different CPU at the factory. Third, you might have a marginal power supply.
Try another known working unit with the extra P4 power plug. Please post
back with your results.

HTH
Chris

"Oh Well" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40b921e3$(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

-----=osted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =---
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =---

Oh Well

c <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsJauc.26741$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Three things I can think of to try. First, make sure that the extra P4 power
> plug is connected. It is located next to the first memory slot.

Extra P4 power plug is in ok.

Second, try
> resetting the CMOS jumper. Some boards need to have this done if you change
> a CPU, and I am assuming the board may have possibly been tested with a
> different CPU at the factory.

Tried that according to instructions in manual, no change.

Third, you might have a marginal power supply.
> Try another known working unit with the extra P4 power plug. Please post
> back with your results.

Another working unit no available so far, still trying. (Live in the boonies : )
After two auto races tho

thx
Tommy

> HTH
> Chris
>
> "Oh Well" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40b921e3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We, my son-in-law, grandson, and myself are trying to build a gaming
> machine. So far we have assembled the following:
>
> CPU is intel Pentium 4 3.0G (800Mhz)
>
> Mobo is Aopen AX4C Max, Intel 875P Chipset Ultra ATA133 ATX Form FActor
> w/1AGP98X), 5xPCI + a lot of other stuff
>
> RAM is Crucial / Micron 512MB PC3200 400Mhz CL3 DDR DIMM (1 stick)
>
> Vid card is ATI | Radeon 9800 Pro 128M 8X RTL
>
> Harddrive is WD Caviar 205 BA 20.5gegs connected to mobo with 80 wire
> flat cable, just formatted for fresh install
>
> Monitor is a 17 inch KDS Visual Sensations 19" and has been working
> flawlessly for a while.
>
> 3.5" A drive
>
> Nothing else
>
> When it is switched on the fans start working, an LED on the mobo flashes
> once and another comes on steady, nothing on the monitor except it's on self
> test which comes on if nothing else comes on, and a squeky scratchy voice on
> the pc speaker which sounds like it's saying "CPU idi" or "CPU edi" or maybe
> "CPUvdi" or no telling what.
>
> The mobo and cpu were ordered as a compatable unit from mwave.com but not
> assembled. The cpu had an intel inside label on the flat side that mounts
> to the fan heat sink. That label was removed. The ram was ordered
> seperate. The monitor and HDD were on a previously owned computer and
> working fine.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution or advice on the compatability of these parts.
>
> thx
> Tommy Mathis
>

> -----=osted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =---
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =---

Anders Eek

Does it not need at least 2 sticks of memory, working in pair?
"Oh Well" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
[...]

Don't recall seeing about that in the manual but will check again tonight.
thx

Tommy

Anders Eek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cJAuc.48616$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does it not need at least 2 sticks of memory, working in pair?
> "Oh Well" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:40b921e3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> We, my son-in-law, grandson, and myself are trying to build a gaming
> machine. So far we have assembled the following:
>
> CPU is intel Pentium 4 3.0G (800Mhz)
>
> Mobo is Aopen AX4C Max, Intel 875P Chipset Ultra ATA133 ATX Form FActor
> w/1AGP98X), 5xPCI + a lot of other stuff
>
> RAM is Crucial / Micron 512MB PC3200 400Mhz CL3 DDR DIMM (1 stick)
>
> Vid card is ATI | Radeon 9800 Pro 128M 8X RTL
>
> Harddrive is WD Caviar 205 BA 20.5gegs connected to mobo with 80 wire
> flat cable, just formatted for fresh install
>
> Monitor is a 17 inch KDS Visual Sensations 19" and has been working
> flawlessly for a while.
>
> 3.5" A drive
>
> Nothing else
>
> When it is switched on the fans start working, an LED on the mobo flashes
> once and another comes on steady, nothing on the monitor except it's on self
> test which comes on if nothing else comes on, and a squeky scratchy voice on
> the pc speaker which sounds like it's saying "CPU idi" or "CPU edi" or maybe
> "CPUvdi" or no telling what.
>
> The mobo and cpu were ordered as a compatable unit from mwave.com but not
> assembled. The cpu had an intel inside label on the flat side that mounts
> to the fan heat sink. That label was removed. The ram was ordered
> seperate. The monitor and HDD were on a previously owned computer and
> working fine.
>
> Can anyone suggest a solution or advice on the compatability of these parts.
>
> thx
> Tommy Mathis
>

> -----=osted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =---
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =---

It shouldn't. DDR motherboards will run with one stick of memory. The P4
boards that use Rambus memory do need matched pairs of memory sticks, but
that doesn't apply here.

Chris

news:40bb28b8$(E-Mail Removed)...