Modem Problem?

Terry

Hi,

I have an Inspiron Laptop with a modem card. When I connected to a phone
cord to the modem and dial to the ISP, I could hear the modem dialing, but
no connection was made. If I plugged the phone back to the same phone
jack, I couldn't hear any dial tone. After unplugging the phone cord from
the jack and plugging it back a few minutes later, I could hear the dial
tone again from the phone. It seemed like dialing from the modem killed
the phone line temporarily.

I bet there must be something wrong with the modem card, but can anyone
explain what is going on? Never seen this before.

Thanks in advance,

Terry

Buck Rogers

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 10:26:25 -0600, Terry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an Inspiron Laptop with a modem card. When I connected to a phone
> cord to the modem and dial to the ISP, I could hear the modem dialing,
> but
> no connection was made. If I plugged the phone back to the same phone
> jack, I couldn't hear any dial tone. After unplugging the phone cord
> from
> the jack and plugging it back a few minutes later, I could hear the dial
> tone again from the phone. It seemed like dialing from the modem killed
> the phone line temporarily.
>
> I bet there must be something wrong with the modem card, but can anyone
> explain what is going on? Never seen this before.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Terry

Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
"query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
problems.

Buck

Terry

> Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
> "query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
> problems.
>
> Buck

It is Win98 and there was no problem from "query modem".

Buck Rogers

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:49:21 -0600, Terry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Don't know what O/S you're using, but in WinXP and Win98, there is a
>> "query modem" button in the modem settings. This tests the modem for
>> problems.
>>
>> Buck

> It is Win98 and there was no problem from "query modem".

Funnily enough, I use WinXP and seem to experience a similiar problem.
I have no problems connecting to the net with my internal modem, but as
soon as I quit my dialup connection, the phone is inoperable
for about 2-3 minutes. I think it has to do with some kinda signal the
modem sends to the phone company, which is still active for a short while
after the net connection is killed. Interesting.

Buck