Modify win95 A to B

mc

Has anyone tried to make a new op sys disk by replacing the op sys files
from the A version to the B version? Would it work?....just for fun
mc

metronid

On Apr 26, 8:47*am, "mc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anyone tried to make a new op sys disk by replacing the op sys files
> from the A version to the B version? Would it work?....just for fun
> mc

Unless someone knows something else I believe the answer is no.
Although they look the same there are major differences.
95B is a sort of a pre requistite to windows 98.

You could rename wincom and they try an upgrade to 95B but you can
not just add files
Windows 95 B has usb support and fat32 support
Is it kind of a bridge before 98 and is very different than 95 A

Where as Windows 3.11 is just at GUI over dos
Windows 95 A is just a more complete GUI using some of its own
componets once Windows loads
95 B uses extremely more windows components and relys basically on
the Dos handover only

Why not just upgrade to 98

AWM

I'll try using 98 and see what happens..
mc
"metronid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
On Apr 26, 8:47 am, "mc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has anyone tried to make a new op sys disk by replacing the op sys files
> from the A version to the B version? Would it work?....just for fun
> mc

Unless someone knows something else I believe the answer is no.
Although they look the same there are major differences.
95B is a sort of a pre requistite to windows 98.

You could rename wincom and they try an upgrade to 95B but you can
not just add files
Windows 95 B has usb support and fat32 support
Is it kind of a bridge before 98 and is very different than 95 A

Where as Windows 3.11 is just at GUI over dos
Windows 95 A is just a more complete GUI using some of its own
componets once Windows loads
95 B uses extremely more windows components and relys basically on
the Dos handover only

Why not just upgrade to 98

Ben Myers

Win 95B USB support kind of limped along at best, sometimes working sometimes
not. Of course, the USB 1.1 hardware of the time was not exactly predictable,
giving an excuse to Microsoft and others. Much better to install Windows 98 if
USB devices are needed... Ben Myers

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:18:02 -0500, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"mc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Has anyone tried to make a new op sys disk by replacing the op sys files
>> from the A version to the B version? Would it work?....just for fun
>> mc
>>

>All you need to do is rename win.com
>
>then install win95b back in your original windows folder
>
>(you need to specify that or the installer will put it in windows.000)
>
>I've done it and it works fine...but don't expect usb to work.
>
>I've only seen one Win95B machine where there was actually any support at
>all

ss454_@hotmail.com

Hey

I don't know how to do what you ask but I have had success
with USB and Win 95. I recently used a PB restore CD and diskette I
had acquired and I am led to believe that it is one of the last PB
restore CD's. Unlike other Win 95 restore CD's. when I finished the
restore process with this particular one, it prompted me about the
USB ports and listed them in device manager. With drivers for USB
memory sticks installed, it recognizes any USB memory stick that I
put into it. Now, trying to find other USB Win 95 drivers like for the
Canon S100 digital camera is near impossible, even though Canon states
that they exist. I have not found them. The USB poorts recognize
anything I plug into it. Just finding the drivers like for the camera
is mostly impossible anymore.

Bill

AWM

ss454 do you have the production numbers of that cd and floppy, I would like
to try and find a copy of those? Do you know which PB machine they were
intended for?
mc
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey
>
> I don't know how to do what you ask but I have had success
> with USB and Win 95. I recently used a PB restore CD and diskette I
> had acquired and I am led to believe that it is one of the last PB
> restore CD's. Unlike other Win 95 restore CD's. when I finished the
> restore process with this particular one, it prompted me about the
> USB ports and listed them in device manager. With drivers for USB
> memory sticks installed, it recognizes any USB memory stick that I
> put into it. Now, trying to find other USB Win 95 drivers like for the
> Canon S100 digital camera is near impossible, even though Canon states
> that they exist. I have not found them. The USB poorts recognize
> anything I plug into it. Just finding the drivers like for the camera
> is mostly impossible anymore.
>
> Bill

metronid

On Apr 27, 8:35*am, "AWM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ss454 do you have the production numbers of that cd and floppy, I would like
> to try and find a copy of those? Do you know which PB machine they were
> intended for?
> mc<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > Hey

> > * * * *I don't know how to do what you ask but I have had success
> > with USB and Win 95. I recently used a PB restore CD and diskette I
> > had acquired and I am led to believe that it is one of the last PB
> > restore CD's. Unlike other Win 95 restore CD's. when I finished the
> > restore process *with this particular one, it prompted me about the
> > USB ports and listed them in device manager. With drivers for USB
> > memory sticks installed, *it recognizes any USB memory stick that I
> > put into it. Now, trying to find other USB Win 95 drivers like for the
> > Canon S100 digital camera is near impossible, even though Canon states
> > that they exist. I have not found them. *The USB poorts recognize
> > anything I plug into it. Just finding the drivers like for the camera
> > is mostly impossible anymore.

> > Bill- Hide quoted text -

The retial realease of Windows 95 did not support USB or fat32
Only the OEM version of 2.1 and abover did
version 2.0 I believe supported Fat32

All version 2.0 and up are version 4.00.950
Version 2.0 and above have the date 1996

In any case search your CD for version.dll
Right click on properties
Than pick General and it will give date if 1996 or greater it will be
2.0 or above

Search OEM tag
If 1997 or above it will support both USB and Fat32

ss454_@hotmail.com

Hey

That Master CD number is 175340-00. I have restore diskette but it
is one, I foget which, that I had to download from the net.

Bill

metronid

On Apr 28, 7:55*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hey
>
> * * That Master CD number is 175340-00. I have restore diskette but it
> is one, I foget which, that I had to download from the net.
>
> Bill

Not to rehash old news.
The floppy or a copy of the boot floppy is usually on the master CD
Many time in a floder called floppy.
Many times in a image file called osboot.

AWM

Bill I was able to get a sandisk 1gig flash drive to work in win 95, but I'm
trying to get an older seagate (32M), and an old dell (16M) to work. Have
you seen any drivers for these type of flashdrives?