Monitor Acer F20 does not wake up from sleep

cab

I have an Acer F20 monitor (very nice screen !) connected to an HP
Vectra with XP-SP2.
Sometimes when the PC goes to sleep, the monitor will not completely go
to standby; instead it becomes night-blue (almost black) with the lamp
still on. Then waking the PC up will not reactivate the monitor. No way
to make it work or even react (like switching to other inputs) again,
either using the buttons or the remote control. The only way is to pull
the power plug !!!
So I believe it is a monitor related problem, but maybe the PC does
something weird ?

CAB

kony

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:15:24 +0200, cab <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have an Acer F20 monitor (very nice screen !) connected to an HP
>Vectra with XP-SP2.
>Sometimes when the PC goes to sleep, the monitor will not completely go
>to standby; instead it becomes night-blue (almost black) with the lamp
>still on. Then waking the PC up will not reactivate the monitor. No way
>to make it work or even react (like switching to other inputs) again,
>either using the buttons or the remote control. The only way is to pull
>the power plug !!!
>So I believe it is a monitor related problem, but maybe the PC does
>something weird ?
>
>CAB

I would've wondered if the video card driver had a problem
and should be replaced, but that should not require the
monitor to be power cycled. I would suspect the monitor but
another way to isolate the problem would be to try another
monitor.

cab

kony wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:15:24 +0200, cab <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I have an Acer F20 monitor (very nice screen !) connected to an HP
>> Vectra with XP-SP2.
>> Sometimes when the PC goes to sleep, the monitor will not completely go
>> to standby; instead it becomes night-blue (almost black) with the lamp
>> still on. Then waking the PC up will not reactivate the monitor. No way
>> to make it work or even react (like switching to other inputs) again,
>> either using the buttons or the remote control. The only way is to pull
>> the power plug !!!
>> So I believe it is a monitor related problem, but maybe the PC does
>> something weird ?
>>
>> CAB

> I would've wondered if the video card driver had a problem
> and should be replaced, but that should not require the
> monitor to be power cycled. I would suspect the monitor but
> another way to isolate the problem would be to try another
> monitor.

I think I've found the issue. I had the Power Options on the PC set to
switch off the monitor after 10 minutes and to set the PC to sleep after
15 minutes. This apparently locks the monitor, neither the buttons nor
the remote can be used any more. And it seems that monitor wake-up would
only happen after unlocking the PC.
If I set the Power options to first put the PC to sleep and only turn
off the monitor later, the problem disappears. The monitor does turn off
when the PC sleeps but can be reactivated normally when the PC wakes up.

Well, I am not sure I understand the issue, but it seems to be solved...

CAB