Most stable XP Professional system ever built?

kevinshi

Anyone seen any write ups on an effort to build the most stable Windows
XP system on earth? As in a desktop machine that would run months and
months without ever rebooting (given some very constrained set of
applications)?

I'm wondiering if there are reports out there about making the most
stable hardware possible... I realize that form there what you do in
the applications might muck it all up... but if I wanted to build the
absolte most stable hardware possible - is there any good write ups on
such a topic?

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
kevinshi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anyone seen any write ups on an effort to build the most stable Windows
>XP system on earth? As in a desktop machine that would run months and
>months without ever rebooting (given some very constrained set of
>applications)?
>
>I'm wondiering if there are reports out there about making the most
>stable hardware possible... I realize that form there what you do in
>the applications might muck it all up... but if I wanted to build the
>absolte most stable hardware possible - is there any good write ups on
>such a topic?

MS Updates require a reboot once in a while. So does the occasional
antivirus update.

Other than that, buy a name brand mobo and good memory, clock it down
a little, (my ASUS mobo has CMOS settings for conservative and
agressive performance). Put in good good fans and PSU. If the PC runs
30 days it will probably run it's entire life as long as the fans and
disk keep running. (You can monitor both of those to anticipate
failures.)

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Bob Willard

kevinshi wrote:

> Anyone seen any write ups on an effort to build the most stable Windows
> XP system on earth? As in a desktop machine that would run months and
> months without ever rebooting (given some very constrained set of
> applications)?
>
> I'm wondiering if there are reports out there about making the most
> stable hardware possible... I realize that form there what you do in
> the applications might muck it all up... but if I wanted to build the
> absolte most stable hardware possible - is there any good write ups on
> such a topic?

Get an UPS, and don't chintz. Also, get something between your PC and
the phone/DSL/cable line to filter out conducted spikes.

Don't set your expectations too high if you plan to run commodity software
on top of commodity hardware; robustness has never been a high priority
with BillyWare. If you want to measure uptime in years instead of days,
you should run a real OS on a real cluster in a real glass house -- but be
prepared for serious sticker shock.
--
Cheers, Bob