Motherboard Fault

Mav

Hi All,

I have a dead system. I have gone through all my diagnostic tests, including
replacing the PSU, removing all the components, testing HDD on another
system (which is fine).

The motherboard powers up, but goes no further than that. I get no beep code
and no video.

Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?

Secondly - does anybody have any other suggestions???

Thanks very much in advance

Mav

Arno Wagner

Previously Mav <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi All,

> I have a dead system. I have gone through all my diagnostic tests, including
> replacing the PSU, removing all the components, testing HDD on another
> system (which is fine).

> The motherboard powers up, but goes no further than that. I get no beep code
> and no video.

> Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
> installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?

Remove the CPU. If the board gives you the beep-code for "no CPU",
the there is a chance the baord is fine. Otherwise the board is defect.
(Yes, the board can give beep-codes without the CPU, because there
is an additional microcontroller for the keyboard that does the
beeping.)

Arno

gfretwell@aol.com

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:23:38 +0100, "Mav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
>installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?

Some systems will not beep with bad or missing RAM sticks too.
Beyond that it is just "swap till you drop"

Tanya

Mav wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a dead system. I have gone through all my diagnostic tests, including
> replacing the PSU, removing all the components, testing HDD on another
> system (which is fine).
>
> The motherboard powers up, but goes no further than that. I get no beep code
> and no video.
>
> Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo & CPU
> installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?
>
> Secondly - does anybody have any other suggestions???
>
> Thanks very much in advance
>
> Mav

here's a longShot:
is the monitor good? (does the monitor led come on on boot-up?)
also: as suggested in a prior post, bad ram (and or bad ram bank) can cause no
beep.
could try to use 1 proven chip only in each mem slot (testing 1 at a time)

Mav

Thanks very much for all the help so far.

Further developments...It powered up okay last night with just minimal
components, so I have rebuilt it this morning, and it powered up okay.
However it ran for about an hour, then froze.

As I said, I am convinced it is not software, as the HDD booted up and ran
another machine with no problems. Could this be a symptom of a bad
motherboard as well....?

Thanks again.

Mav

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:49:03 +0100, "Mav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Further developments...It powered up okay last night with just minimal
>components, so I have rebuilt it this morning, and it powered up okay.
>However it ran for about an hour, then froze.

Go to simmtester.com and get the free test program. You still may have
a bad memory stick. Run it several times if it fails to see if it
stays with the same failure. The burn in test beats up memory pretty
well.

Tanya

Mav wrote:

> Thanks very much for all the help so far.
>
> Further developments...It powered up okay last night with just minimal
> components, so I have rebuilt it this morning, and it powered up okay.
> However it ran for about an hour, then froze.

it ran with the hd?
what was going on when it froze?

> As I said, I am convinced it is not software, as the HDD booted up and ran
> another machine with no problems. Could this be a symptom of a bad
> motherboard as well....?

imho could be the board...although the fact that it will boot (imho) sort of
indicates the board is ok.......

you should try a different power cord, surge protector (if you have one) and a
different electrical outlet.

also did anything precede the problem? (like a bios flash; addition, removal of
h/w OR s/w)
(was the pc running normally and the problem occurred suddenly or did it start
gradually?)
finally as has been mentioned, bad ram can cause the problem and freezes.

> Thanks again.
>
> Mav
>
> "Tanya" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mav wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I have a dead system. I have gone through all my diagnostic tests,
> >> including
> >> replacing the PSU, removing all the components, testing HDD on another
> >> system (which is fine).
> >>
> >> The motherboard powers up, but goes no further than that. I get no beep
> >> code
> >> and no video.
> >>
> >> Two questions - without any beep codes, and pretty much only the mobo &
> >> CPU
> >> installed, how can I test which is faulty - mobo or CPU?
> >>
> >> Secondly - does anybody have any other suggestions???
> >>
> >> Thanks very much in advance
> >>
> >> Mav

> > here's a longShot:
> > is the monitor good? (does the monitor led come on on boot-up?)
> > also: as suggested in a prior post, bad ram (and or bad ram bank) can
> > cause no
> > beep.
> > could try to use 1 proven chip only in each mem slot (testing 1 at a time)

Mav

First off, thanks for everybody's help. I really appreciate people putting
themselves out to help me.

When it froze, it wasn't doing anything - just stopped responding. I was
keeping an eye on it, just moving the mouse every now and then. After about
an hour I tried it & it was frozen. No error messages, nothing.

Then I re-booted, and it got into a continuous loop restarting itself.

I have treated myself to new RAM, processor & board, so now I can do full
swap out tests...hope I get somewhere.....

gfretwell@aol.com

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 13:32:27 +0100, "Mav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>First off, thanks for everybody's help. I really appreciate people putting
>themselves out to help me.
>
>When it froze, it wasn't doing anything - just stopped responding. I was
>keeping an eye on it, just moving the mouse every now and then. After about
>an hour I tried it & it was frozen. No error messages, nothing.
>
>Then I re-booted, and it got into a continuous loop restarting itself.
>
>I have treated myself to new RAM, processor & board, so now I can do full
>swap out tests...hope I get somewhere.....

Windoze is always doing something. General housekeeping in W/9x or XP
is churning more than your old AT was doing when it was running
typical applications.

Tanya

Mav wrote:

> First off, thanks for everybody's help. I really appreciate people putting
> themselves out to help me.
>
> When it froze, it wasn't doing anything - just stopped responding. I was
> keeping an eye on it, just moving the mouse every now and then. After about
> an hour I tried it & it was frozen. No error messages, nothing.
>
> Then I re-booted, and it got into a continuous loop restarting itself.
>
> I have treated myself to new RAM, processor & board, so now I can do full
> swap out tests...hope I get somewhere.....

it would be interesting to know what the problem was due to -- if you find
out...
1 thing: make certain that the fans (case; psu; cpu) are spinning, clean,
functioning (*can* cause sporadic problems if overheating (afaik))
good luck!
sincerely
Tanya

Motherboard fault Ameenaboob MSI 0 05-22-2010 03:51 PM
Difference Between CAN Mute Fault and CAN Bus Off Fault raj Embedded 3 06-24-2006 08:13 PM
NF7s, give page fault in none paged area after upgrade ???? Ben Abit 15 05-04-2005 01:28 AM
SG-71 board fault??? Darryl Moore Abit 2 10-19-2004 11:18 AM
Intermittent boot fault on A7V133 motherboard Asus 0 09-29-2004 10:07 PM