Motherboard RAID vs Windows RAID

DMS

I purchased a motherboard that features RAID support. (RAID 1 or 0
only)

The instructions for configuring RAID, say to:
1. Configure RAID in the BIOS, then
2. Configure RAID in Windows by converting to Dynamic disks and
setting up RAID there.

Question: I know that I can configure RAID in Windows after
converting to dynamic disks, so what's the point of setting it up in
the BIOS also? Do I gain some sort of benefit from setting it up in
the BIOS in addition to setting it up in Windows?

Motherboard: ASUS M2NB-VM CSM
Raid Controller: nVidia nForce 430B
Operating System(s): Win XP, 2003 Server, and/or Vista Ultimate

Magnate

"DMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I purchased a motherboard that features RAID support. (RAID 1 or 0
> only)
>
> The instructions for configuring RAID, say to:
> 1. Configure RAID in the BIOS, then
> 2. Configure RAID in Windows by converting to Dynamic disks and
> setting up RAID there.

Surely the word "then" is wrong. These are alternatives, not a sequence.

If you configure RAID in your BIOS, Windows will only see one disk - so
there will be no opportunity to configure RAID in Windows. (This assumes
that you have two disks - if you have three or more, it gets more
complicated.)

> Question: I know that I can configure RAID in Windows after
> converting to dynamic disks, so what's the point of setting it up in
> the BIOS also? Do I gain some sort of benefit from setting it up in
> the BIOS in addition to setting it up in Windows?

No. Choose one or the other. I've never used Windows RAID so could not
advise which is better.

CC