Motherboards with ISA slots and P-4 Prescott compatibility?

Some Guy

The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA and the Supermicro P4SCA have been around
for a couple of years and both have 3 ISA slots:

http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...7210/P4SCA.cfm

Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
stock them).

So I'm wondering if either Soyo or Supermicro (or anyone else) is
planning a Prescott-compatible motherboard with ISA slots (at least
1). Either socket 478 or 775.

(and don't say that ISA is dead because although it is and has been
for the consumer channel for years it is not yet dead for some
industrial / commercial applications).

DaveW

In the commercial marketplace, ISA motherboards are dead. So the answer to
your question is, No, there will NOT be any manufacturer producing Prescott
capable motherboards with ISA slots.

--
DaveW

"Some Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA and the Supermicro P4SCA have been around
> for a couple of years and both have 3 ISA slots:
>
> http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...7210/P4SCA.cfm
>
> Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
> Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
> get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
> seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
> stock them).
>
> So I'm wondering if either Soyo or Supermicro (or anyone else) is
> planning a Prescott-compatible motherboard with ISA slots (at least
> 1). Either socket 478 or 775.
>
> (and don't say that ISA is dead because although it is and has been
> for the consumer channel for years it is not yet dead for some
> industrial / commercial applications).

kony

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:23:16 -0400, Some Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA and the Supermicro P4SCA have been around
>for a couple of years and both have 3 ISA slots:
>
>http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
>http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...7210/P4SCA.cfm
>
>Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
>Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
>get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
>seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
>stock them).

How is that a problem?
There is a gun to your head and you die if you don't have a
next-gen P4 platform for ISA cards? Seems doubtful.

There is a concept known as "lifetime buy". That means
_now_, you buy all the parts you need for the lifetime of
the application. Concepts such as "impossible to get" are
nonsense though when it comes to a Northwood (if you're not
picky about the exact model)- you do it like anybody else
would, which is to search, find, then buy.
http://www.google.com/froogle?q=Nort...&sa=N&start=20

>So I'm wondering if either Soyo or Supermicro (or anyone else) is
>planning a Prescott-compatible motherboard with ISA slots (at least
>1). Either socket 478 or 775.

What is the application of the system?
I find it questionable that you need a modern PC or
cheap-server class board for typical uses of an ISA card.
On the contrary, it'd be an expensive waste of power, noise,
etc to go so overboard with most ISA-based tasks.

>(and don't say that ISA is dead because although it is and has been
>for the consumer channel for years it is not yet dead for some
>industrial / commercial applications).

.... then buy an industrial board, not a PC/cheap-server
board. If you're (Presumably) already using these ISA
boards with older ISA-featured motherboards, just leave them
alone. If/when the time comes, you'll just need to switch
to PCI alternatives like everybody else. I'm not implying
there might necessarily be some exact-equivalent of your ISA
cards in PCI form, rather that there's likely a way to still
get the job(s) done without ISA.

Some Guy

kony wrote:

> ... then buy an industrial board

What's your ****ing problem?

I don't need to be brow-beaten by **** like you.

If you can't answer the question then shut your pie hole.

You have no idea what the application is for these boards. So don't
go around second guessing me.

kony

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:00:37 -0400, Some Guy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>kony wrote:
>
>> ... then buy an industrial board

>What's your ****ing problem?

Funny, it seems you had the problem.

You argue that bit about "ISA not dead... industrial uses".
YES, uses for which an industrial board is often more
appropriate.

>I don't need to be brow-beaten by **** like you.

Perhaps you only need be told how to get the job done?

>If you can't answer the question then shut your pie hole.

Were we supposed to scour the internet searching for more
boards that have ISA slots, JUST so you don't have to do it
youself? I don't think so.

>You have no idea what the application is for these boards. So don't
>go around second guessing me.

Well I guess you're screwed, since you couldn't even be
bothered to mention what that application was.

It's not unreasonable to second-guess someone who seems to
want (but no EXPRESSED need) newest technology, but not just
newest, also largest and most power hungry for tasks usually
not needing it. You would tend to be second-guessed because
others do manage to get by without trying to shove ISA cards
in new system builds. Like it or not your time using old
ISA cards draws nearer a close. If you dont' want
industrial boards you should seek alternative interfaces-
nobody said you had to LIKE it.

Guido

ISA is DEAD !!!

"Some Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA and the Supermicro P4SCA have been around
> for a couple of years and both have 3 ISA slots:
>
> http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=194
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...7210/P4SCA.cfm
>
> Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
> Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
> get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
> seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
> stock them).
>
> So I'm wondering if either Soyo or Supermicro (or anyone else) is
> planning a Prescott-compatible motherboard with ISA slots (at least
> 1). Either socket 478 or 775.
>
> (and don't say that ISA is dead because although it is and has been
> for the consumer channel for years it is not yet dead for some
> industrial / commercial applications).

Matt

Some Guy wrote:

> Problem is, it's practically impossible to get a reliable supply of
> Socket 478 northwood version Pentium's, and it's getting impossible to
> get a reliable supply of Celeron's (because even though Intel still
> seems to be making northwood versions of Celerons, nobody wants to
> stock them).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ubmit=Property

What is so tough about that?

Unless I am wrong, you will be able to get northwoods from PC
liquidators for many years.

Motherboards with ISA slots and P-4 Prescott compatibility? Some Guy Soyo 8 06-29-2005 08:52 PM
Motherboards with ISA slots and P-4 Prescott compatibility? Some Guy IBM 6 06-29-2005 08:52 PM
ISA bus functionality (SY-P4I 845PE ISA) Soyo Man Soyo 7 03-04-2004 05:00 PM
ISA problem with 845PE ISA Gerald Soyo 0 11-24-2003 04:32 PM
Cannot fit ISA card into ISA slot Peter C Dell 0 07-25-2003 07:48 PM