Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Mountain Lion Bug?

 
 
Chris Schram
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2012, 04:43 AM
I just sent the following message to Apple's Mountain Lion Feedback
page. This "bug" is pretty consistent, occurring when I am away from my
screen for a prolonged period of time. I looked through my logs, but
nothing jumped out as being relevant here. Any suggestions? Is anyone
else getting this bug?

"When I return to my iMac after it has been idle (perhaps sleeping) for
a while, multi-touch gestures on my Magic Trackpad no longer function.
One or two-finger actions do still work, but the three fingers plus
thumb that should access Launchpad does nothing. Four-finger swipes do
nothing. Logging out and logging in restores multi-touch until next
time."

--
(E-Mail Removed) is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies WILL be lost.
Try <http://public.xdi.org/=chris.schram> instead.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2012, 11:15 AM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Chris Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "When I return to my iMac after it has been idle (perhaps sleeping) for
> a while, multi-touch gestures on my Magic Trackpad no longer function.
> One or two-finger actions do still work, but the three fingers plus
> thumb that should access Launchpad does nothing. Four-finger swipes do
> nothing. Logging out and logging in restores multi-touch until next
> time."


Not seeing that on my mini or MBP.

--
People who would not believe a High Priest if he said the sky was blue,
and was able to produce signed affidavits to this effect from his
white-haired old mother and three Vestal virgins, would trust just about
anything whispered darkly behind their hand by a complete stranger.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Lance
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2012, 12:12 PM
On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 06:15:16 -0500, Lewis wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed)>):

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Chris Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "When I return to my iMac after it has been idle (perhaps sleeping) for
>> a while, multi-touch gestures on my Magic Trackpad no longer function.
>> One or two-finger actions do still work, but the three fingers plus
>> thumb that should access Launchpad does nothing. Four-finger swipes do
>> nothing. Logging out and logging in restores multi-touch until next
>> time."

>
> Not seeing that on my mini or MBP.
>
>


Nor me on 2.2 GHz i7 MacBook Pro (early 2011).

--

Tim


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Is this a clean install or an upgrade? Can you reproduce it with a brand
new account?


On 7/30/2012 9:43 PM PT, Chris Schram typed:

> I just sent the following message to Apple's Mountain Lion Feedback
> page. This "bug" is pretty consistent, occurring when I am away from my
> screen for a prolonged period of time. I looked through my logs, but
> nothing jumped out as being relevant here. Any suggestions? Is anyone
> else getting this bug?
>
> "When I return to my iMac after it has been idle (perhaps sleeping) for
> a while, multi-touch gestures on my Magic Trackpad no longer function.
> One or two-finger actions do still work, but the three fingers plus
> thumb that should access Launchpad does nothing. Four-finger swipes do
> nothing. Logging out and logging in restores multi-touch until next
> time."
>--

"Look at them, fighting like ants. The fate's waiting them." --Kane in
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
/ /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o o| |
\ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed.
Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer.
 
Reply With Quote
 
TaliesinSoft
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2012, 02:32 PM
On 2012-07-31 04:43:38 +0000, Chris Schram said:

[in the context of Mountain Lion]

> "When I return to my iMac after it has been idle (perhaps sleeping) for
> a while, multi-touch gestures on my Magic Trackpad no longer function.
> One or two-finger actions do still work, but the three fingers plus
> thumb that should access Launchpad does nothing. Four-finger swipes do
> nothing. Logging out and logging in restores multi-touch until next
> time."


I'm running Mountain Lion and the three fingers plus thumb and the four
finger swipes are working fine for me.


--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Schram
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-02-2012, 11:28 PM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just sent the following message to Apple's Mountain Lion Feedback
> page. This "bug" is pretty consistent, occurring when I am away from my
> screen for a prolonged period of time. I looked through my logs, but
> nothing jumped out as being relevant here. Any suggestions? Is anyone
> else getting this bug?
>
> "When I return to my iMac after it has been idle (perhaps sleeping) for
> a while, multi-touch gestures on my Magic Trackpad no longer function.
> One or two-finger actions do still work, but the three fingers plus
> thumb that should access Launchpad does nothing. Four-finger swipes do
> nothing. Logging out and logging in restores multi-touch until next
> time."


Thanks for your responses when I posed the original message a few days
ago.

Someone asked whether I had done a clean install of Mountain Lion. No,
this was what Joe Kissell describes as a "Plan A" install. It's
reassuring that he recommends this method for most users.

I have tried leaving fewer combinations of apps running when I allow my
iMac to sleep. No useful data yet.

I have not yet moved on to seeing what happens in a clean account.
That's coming soon. I suppose a Guest account would be about as clean as
they can get.

I use the demo version of Launchpad Manager on occasion. It claims to
restart the Dock when it saves its settings. I have observed that this
action temporarily restores my multi-touch functionality, as does
'killall Dock' in Terminal. This is my biggest "clue" so far (though it
seems strange that multi-touch is somehow interrelated with the Dock).

--
(E-Mail Removed) is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies WILL be lost.
Try <http://public.xdi.org/=chris.schram> instead.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Barry Margolin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2012, 04:17 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Chris Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Chris Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I just sent the following message to Apple's Mountain Lion Feedback
> > page. This "bug" is pretty consistent, occurring when I am away from my
> > screen for a prolonged period of time. I looked through my logs, but
> > nothing jumped out as being relevant here. Any suggestions? Is anyone
> > else getting this bug?
> >
> > "When I return to my iMac after it has been idle (perhaps sleeping) for
> > a while, multi-touch gestures on my Magic Trackpad no longer function.
> > One or two-finger actions do still work, but the three fingers plus
> > thumb that should access Launchpad does nothing. Four-finger swipes do
> > nothing. Logging out and logging in restores multi-touch until next
> > time."

>
> Thanks for your responses when I posed the original message a few days
> ago.
>
> Someone asked whether I had done a clean install of Mountain Lion. No,
> this was what Joe Kissell describes as a "Plan A" install. It's
> reassuring that he recommends this method for most users.
>
> I have tried leaving fewer combinations of apps running when I allow my
> iMac to sleep. No useful data yet.
>
> I have not yet moved on to seeing what happens in a clean account.
> That's coming soon. I suppose a Guest account would be about as clean as
> they can get.
>
> I use the demo version of Launchpad Manager on occasion. It claims to
> restart the Dock when it saves its settings. I have observed that this
> action temporarily restores my multi-touch functionality, as does
> 'killall Dock' in Terminal. This is my biggest "clue" so far (though it
> seems strange that multi-touch is somehow interrelated with the Dock).


Maybe not the Dock itself, but one of the other processes that gets
restarted when Dock restarts, like Dashboard.

--
Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA
*** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-03-2012, 11:07 AM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Chris Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have tried leaving fewer combinations of apps running when I allow my
> iMac to sleep. No useful data yet.


Try disconnecting your USB devices.

> I use the demo version of Launchpad Manager on occasion. It claims to
> restart the Dock when it saves its settings. I have observed that this
> action temporarily restores my multi-touch functionality, as does
> 'killall Dock' in Terminal. This is my biggest "clue" so far (though it
> seems strange that multi-touch is somehow interrelated with the Dock).


The gestures are administered by the Dock.app, so this is not at all
surprising.

--
#27794 <Vellius> ... I wonder if the really nerdy Klingons learn how to
speak english
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lewis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2012, 05:53 AM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Chris Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I have tried leaving fewer combinations of apps running when I allow my
>> iMac to sleep. No useful data yet.


> Try disconnecting your USB devices.


>> I use the demo version of Launchpad Manager on occasion. It claims to
>> restart the Dock when it saves its settings. I have observed that this
>> action temporarily restores my multi-touch functionality, as does
>> 'killall Dock' in Terminal. This is my biggest "clue" so far (though it
>> seems strange that multi-touch is somehow interrelated with the Dock).


> The gestures are administered by the Dock.app, so this is not at all
> surprising.


Interesting, today after opening up the laptop the three finger tap
gesture did not work. Restarted the dock, and it still doesn't work.
Three finger drag works, and all the four finger swipes and such, but
not three finger tap (lookup).

Toggled it on and off, no go.

--
I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people
who believe it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Schram
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2012, 06:06 AM
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Lewis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Chris Schram <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I have tried leaving fewer combinations of apps running when I allow my
> >> iMac to sleep. No useful data yet.

>
> > Try disconnecting your USB devices.

>
> >> I use the demo version of Launchpad Manager on occasion. It claims to
> >> restart the Dock when it saves its settings. I have observed that this
> >> action temporarily restores my multi-touch functionality, as does
> >> 'killall Dock' in Terminal. This is my biggest "clue" so far (though it
> >> seems strange that multi-touch is somehow interrelated with the Dock).

>
> > The gestures are administered by the Dock.app, so this is not at all
> > surprising.

>
> Interesting, today after opening up the laptop the three finger tap
> gesture did not work. Restarted the dock, and it still doesn't work.
> Three finger drag works, and all the four finger swipes and such, but
> not three finger tap (lookup).
>
> Toggled it on and off, no go.


Today I finally got around to trying out dictation. Enabled it, agreed
to stuff, selected the right microphone, yada, yada, yada. No dictation.
Logged into the Guest account and it worked fine. After a restart, there
it was working in my regular account. Unlike the trick to reenable
gestures, I have yet to find the magic incantation to reenable dictation.

--
(E-Mail Removed) is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies WILL be lost.
Try <http://public.xdi.org/=chris.schram> instead.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lion Server -> Mountain Lion Server on New HW: Upgrade or Migrate? glawrie Apple 4 03-01-2013 10:03 PM
System update installations seem to fail after I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion Juan I. Cahis Apple 5 12-16-2012 01:31 PM
Mountain Lion Warren Oates Apple 752 03-07-2012 02:35 AM
Yes, Mountain Lion is 10.8 Fred Moore Apple 15 02-23-2012 10:33 AM
Some Macs that run Lion won't run Mountain Lion Michelle Steiner Apple 15 02-19-2012 07:07 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:41 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment