> Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

I'm still considering Snow Leopard. My brother gets MUCH better
performance than I do on Lion, given identical hardware. :-/

--
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
We are but a moment's sunlight, fading in the grass. - The Youngbloods
Those who eat natural foods die of natural causes. - Kperspective

Alan Browne

On 2012-06-11 14:10 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

> ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

For comparison:

10.5 and earlier: $129.00 (Family Pack: $199.00 for those versions that
had a family pack available)
10.6: $29.00
10.7: $29.99
10.8 $19.99

Starting with 10.6, there was no restriction on the number of computers the
OS could be installed on in the same household.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

David Empson

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 2012-06-11 14:10 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

> ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

That aspect is the same as Lion, but Apple felt the need to emphasise it
again.

.... and you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.

.... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:

http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
mentioned at all.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

David Empson

Michelle Steiner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

> > ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

> For comparison:
>
> 10.5 and earlier: $129.00 (Family Pack: $199.00 for those versions that
> had a family pack available)
> 10.6: $29.00
> 10.7: $29.99
> 10.8 $19.99
>
> Starting with 10.6, there was no restriction on the number of computers the
> OS could be installed on in the same household.

10.6 (Snow Leopard) has the same licensing terms as earlier versions,
only the prices changed. You either buy the single user edition (US$29)
or the family pack (US$49). The family pack is allowed to be installed
on up to five Macs in one household.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A

10.7 (Lion) and later versions use the Mac App Store licence, which for
personal use allows installation on an unlimited number of Macs you own
or control.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Michelle Steiner

In article <1klkl9v.1ju8mbk12h4b8yN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> ... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
>
> http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
>
> iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

That leaves out my iMac. I have the August 2006 model.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

Michelle Steiner

In article <1klkqbz.1ahoqd2j3or4iN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> > Starting with 10.6, there was no restriction on the number of
> > computers the OS could be installed on in the same household.

> 10.6 (Snow Leopard) has the same licensing terms as earlier versions,
> only the prices changed. You either buy the single user edition (US$29)
> or the family pack (US$49).

Sorry, you're right.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

John Young

In article <1klkl9v.1ju8mbk12h4b8yN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 2012-06-11 14:10 , Michelle Steiner wrote:
> > > Available in July 2012 for $19.99.

> > ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

> That aspect is the same as Lion, but Apple felt the need to emphasise it
> again.
>
> ... and you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.
>
> ... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
>
> http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
>
> iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
> MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
> MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
> MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
> Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
> Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
>
> That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
> mentioned at all.

David, I have a Mac Pro Processor 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Running Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
do you think that is Early 2008 or newer?
I don't remember when I bought it.
Thanks

David Empson

John Young <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <1klkl9v.1ju8mbk12h4b8yN%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > ... and one purchase covers all Macs in a household.

> > That aspect is the same as Lion, but Apple felt the need to emphasise it
> > again.
> >
> > ... and you can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard.
> >
> > ... and the list of supported Macs has been officially released:
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/
> >
> > iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
> > MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
> > MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
> > MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
> > Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
> > Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
> >
> > That's the same list as earlier rumours, except the Xserve is not
> > mentioned at all.

> David, I have a Mac Pro Processor 2 x 2 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
> Running Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)
> do you think that is Early 2008 or newer?
> I don't remember when I bought it.

Click on the Apple menu, About This Mac, then click the More Info
button. In Lion, the first window it displays includes the name of your
model. If it says "Mac Pro (Early 2008)", or a later date, then you will
be able to run Mountain Lion.

I can save you that effort, though: "two 2.0 GHz Dual-core" processors
is unique to the original Mac Pro, released in August 2006. That model
will not be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Lion Server -> Mountain Lion Server on New HW: Upgrade or Migrate? glawrie Apple 4 03-01-2013 10:03 PM
System update installations seem to fail after I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion Juan I. Cahis Apple 5 12-16-2012 01:31 PM
Mountain Lion Warren Oates Apple 752 03-07-2012 02:35 AM
Yes, Mountain Lion is 10.8 Fred Moore Apple 15 02-23-2012 10:33 AM
Some Macs that run Lion won't run Mountain Lion Michelle Steiner Apple 15 02-19-2012 07:07 PM