Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

mouse scroller repair

 
 
B. P. TBC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi all
I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the scroller works bad.
(When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can anyone help me, how can I repair
it? I tried to clean it, but it still works bad.
Thanks!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
KR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2012, 12:00 AM
On Apr 28, 6:14*am, "B. P. TBC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all
> I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the scroller works bad.
> (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can anyone help me, how can I repair
> it? I tried to clean it, but it still works bad.
> Thanks!


Presume you have tried on another PC to make sure it isnt some weird
bug ?

Could be a faulty opto sensor. Typically there will be a wheel with
holes in it (or large teeth) and 2
optos will detect the teeth as they turn (when you roll the wheel).
If one fails, it could do as you describe.

Could also be dry solder joints too
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
GlowingBlueMist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2012, 01:28 PM
On 4/27/2012 3:14 PM, B. P. TBC wrote:
> Hi all
> I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the scroller works bad.
> (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can anyone help me, how can I repair
> it? I tried to clean it, but it still works bad.
> Thanks!

Did you take the mouse apart to clean the wheel sensor holes around the
wheel? Just trying to clean the mouse with out taking things apart
usually fails to properly clean the sensors and the wheel.

Take care when taking a wheel mouse apart. There is usually a spring or
two that can fly out and be difficult to replace with out knowing where
and how it was attached to the mouse. It took me an hour or so to put
one back together after everything fell out of it as I took it apart.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2012, 01:52 AM
GlowingBlueMist <GlowingBlueMist truly.invalid> wrote:

> B. P. TBC wrote:


>> Hi all I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the
>> scroller works bad. (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can
>> anyone help me, how can I repair it? I tried to clean it, but
>> it still works bad. Thanks!


> Did you take the mouse apart to clean the wheel sensor holes
> around the wheel? Just trying to clean the mouse with out
> taking things apart usually fails to properly clean the sensors
> and the wheel.


I have been using compressed air on the sensor hole area to clear
up a regular stoppage of pointer movement. A few weeks ago, began
experiencing a double-click instead of the correct single click.
Just last week, the mouse was not being recognized properly on
startup. I thought the thing was failing. Took the vacuum cleaner
to that same sensor hole (briefly). That seems to solved those
problems. If that sounds horribly wrong, feel free to ask a week
or so from now. About the last two days, it does appear to be
working perfectly. I suppose weird software issues could have been
involved. It's complex stuff.

--











>
> Take care when taking a wheel mouse apart. There is usually a
> spring or two that can fly out and be difficult to replace with
> out knowing where and how it was attached to the mouse. It took
> me an hour or so to put one back together after everything fell
> out of it as I took it apart.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2012, 05:43 AM
John Doe wrote:
> GlowingBlueMist <GlowingBlueMist truly.invalid> wrote:
>
>> B. P. TBC wrote:

>
>>> Hi all I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the
>>> scroller works bad. (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can
>>> anyone help me, how can I repair it? I tried to clean it, but
>>> it still works bad. Thanks!

>
>> Did you take the mouse apart to clean the wheel sensor holes
>> around the wheel? Just trying to clean the mouse with out
>> taking things apart usually fails to properly clean the sensors
>> and the wheel.

>
> I have been using compressed air on the sensor hole area to clear
> up a regular stoppage of pointer movement. A few weeks ago, began
> experiencing a double-click instead of the correct single click.
> Just last week, the mouse was not being recognized properly on
> startup. I thought the thing was failing. Took the vacuum cleaner
> to that same sensor hole (briefly). That seems to solved those
> problems. If that sounds horribly wrong, feel free to ask a week
> or so from now. About the last two days, it does appear to be
> working perfectly. I suppose weird software issues could have been
> involved. It's complex stuff.
>


You can do a better job, cleaning the mouse by hand. If the warranty
is up on the thing, just break the seal over the screw and open it up.
There can be debris all over the place in there, including
interfering with the microswitches. A vacuum might not get it all.

While you're in there, you can check for wear, on the contact surface
on the bottom of the mouse buttons, where they strike the microswitches.
Noting the degree of wear, gives you some idea how long the mouse
will last (as eventually, the "feel" of the buttons is ruined by
the travel of the button being affected by the plastic being worn
off). While you can replace a bad microswitch, it's pretty hard
to fix the plastic used in the buttons, which presses on the microswitch.
I've lost a few mice, due to wear like that.

Paul
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Paul <nospam needed.com> wrote:

> John Doe wrote:
>> GlowingBlueMist <GlowingBlueMist truly.invalid> wrote:
>>> B. P. TBC wrote:

>>
>>>> Hi all I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the
>>>> scroller works bad. (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can
>>>> anyone help me, how can I repair it? I tried to clean it, but
>>>> it still works bad. Thanks!

>>
>>> Did you take the mouse apart to clean the wheel sensor holes
>>> around the wheel? Just trying to clean the mouse with out
>>> taking things apart usually fails to properly clean the
>>> sensors and the wheel.

>>
>> I have been using compressed air on the sensor hole area to
>> clear up a regular stoppage of pointer movement. A few weeks
>> ago, began experiencing a double-click instead of the correct
>> single click. Just last week, the mouse was not being
>> recognized properly on startup. I thought the thing was
>> failing. Took the vacuum cleaner to that same sensor hole
>> (briefly). That seems to solved those problems. If that sounds
>> horribly wrong, feel free to ask a week or so from now. About
>> the last two days, it does appear to be working perfectly. I
>> suppose weird software issues could have been involved. It's
>> complex stuff.
>>

>
> You can do a better job, cleaning the mouse by hand. If the
> warranty is up on the thing, just break the seal over the screw
> and open it up. There can be debris all over the place in there,
> including interfering with the microswitches. A vacuum might not
> get it all.


It might not. But if it did enough to make the mouse work
properly, I'm not going to open the mouse.

It seems weird that sticking a vacuum cleaner against the laser
hole would solve the problems. But in fact I was having lots of
problems with it, and I don't recall doing anything else hardware
wise that might have helped. Given your theory, I would guess that
it would start failing again in the not-too-distant future. Will
see. And yeah, I have had it for years. I can search UseNet
archive to figure out the exact date

--







>
> While you're in there, you can check for wear, on the contact
> surface on the bottom of the mouse buttons, where they strike
> the microswitches. Noting the degree of wear, gives you some
> idea how long the mouse will last (as eventually, the "feel" of
> the buttons is ruined by the travel of the button being affected
> by the plastic being worn off). While you can replace a bad
> microswitch, it's pretty hard to fix the plastic used in the
> buttons, which presses on the microswitch. I've lost a few mice,
> due to wear like that.
>
> Paul
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rodney Pont
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2012, 07:17 AM
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 06:31:19 +0000 (UTC), John Doe wrote:

>It seems weird that sticking a vacuum cleaner against the laser
>hole would solve the problems.


What are the feet like? With my optical mouse the feet pick up dust and
it only takes a tiny amount before it raises the mouse enough to loose
focus and then it jumps all over the place if it moves at all. If there
is dust around the feet maybe the vac removed some of it.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
The from address exists but is mostly dumped,
please send any emails to the address below
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
"B. P. TBC" <tbc_z87 mailbox.hu> wrote:

> Hi all I have a mouse (A4tech X-710F), it works, but the
> scroller works bad. (When I try to scroll, it trembles.) Can
> anyone help me, how can I repair it? I tried to clean it, but it
> still works bad. Thanks!


If you do take the mouse apart... That probably would be a good
application for compressed air from a can. I would avoid touching
stuff inside the mouse.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Notebook, Laptop Repair Company London, PC Computer Repair, Laptop 278845116@qq.com Laptops 0 12-14-2007 07:50 AM
Laptop Repair Company, Notebook Repair Company London, UK | LaptopRepair Service London 278845116@qq.com Dell 1 12-12-2007 05:00 AM
onsite Computer Repair Anaheim, PC Repair Services Anaheim, orange county - california Lori Laptops 0 10-30-2007 04:28 AM
Crash & Scroller mrjx ATI 2 11-10-2004 03:00 PM
Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse vs. Wheel Mouse Optical - is there any difference? Ryan PC Hardware 0 12-22-2003 08:39 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment