MPC Bankruptcy

Nelson Ogden

Dear group:

I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC going
bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company. Does
anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal operations
or will go broke?

We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty, but
since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to provide
replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this group know
when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?

Thanks,
Nelson

Frank

Nelson Ogden wrote:
> Dear group:
>
> I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC going
> bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company. Does
> anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal operations
> or will go broke?
>
> We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty, but
> since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to provide
> replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this group know
> when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?
>
> Thanks,
> Nelson

I've got a call in for a new keyboard under warranty.
Wonder what will happen.

http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34086899.html

Helps answer my previous question on what to buy next for wife.

Ben Myers

Frank wrote:
> Nelson Ogden wrote:
>> Dear group:
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC going
>> bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company. Does
>> anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal
>> operations
>> or will go broke?
>>
>> We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty, but
>> since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to provide
>> replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this group
>> know
>> when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nelson
>>

> I've got a call in for a new keyboard under warranty.
> Wonder what will happen.
>
> http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34086899.html
>
> Helps answer my previous question on what to buy next for wife.

Wow, I guess my timing was perfect when I contacted MPC about a
replacement power supply for a Gateway Pro model owned by a client. I
passed up on their service person to do the job, got the power supply in
a couple of days, and sent the old one back.

Fortunately, most of the parts used in Gateway Pro models are very
common commodity stuff, so even if MPC will not handle warranty service,
comparable parts are readily available through other sources.

MPC will have terrible difficulty selling any new equipment if they do
not honor warranties on the old... Ben Myers

Frank

Ben Myers wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>> Nelson Ogden wrote:
>>> Dear group:
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC going
>>> bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company. Does
>>> anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal
>>> operations
>>> or will go broke?
>>>
>>> We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty, but
>>> since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to provide
>>> replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this
>>> group know
>>> when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Nelson
>>>

>> I've got a call in for a new keyboard under warranty.
>> Wonder what will happen.
>>
>> http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34086899.html
>>
>> Helps answer my previous question on what to buy next for wife.

> Wow, I guess my timing was perfect when I contacted MPC about a
> replacement power supply for a Gateway Pro model owned by a client. I
> passed up on their service person to do the job, got the power supply in
> a couple of days, and sent the old one back.
>
> Fortunately, most of the parts used in Gateway Pro models are very
> common commodity stuff, so even if MPC will not handle warranty service,
> comparable parts are readily available through other sources.
>
> MPC will have terrible difficulty selling any new equipment if they do
> not honor warranties on the old... Ben Myers

My extended warranty apparently resides with Comp USA where I bought the
computer. They are in, I believe, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and closed
local store. Have yet been unable to make contact - phone busy and
email unanswered. The old Gateway company would have just sent me a
new keyboard.

Nelson Ogden

I call them on a regular basis to order parts. We used to go through the
MAparts email/fax order system, then they discontinued that about two months
ago. I had to call technical support and wait on hold forever to order
replacement warranty parts. Last time I called (about two weeks ago) I was
told that they are not able to process warranty parts orders at this time
because of the bankruptcy. My boss also called them a few days ago and was
told the same thing.

Nelson

news:ggc7rs$s4p$(E-Mail Removed)...

Frank wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
>> Frank wrote:

>>> I've got a call in for a new keyboard under warranty.
>>> Wonder what will happen.
>>>
>>> http://www.2news.tv/news/local/34086899.html
>>>
>>> Helps answer my previous question on what to buy next for wife.

>> Wow, I guess my timing was perfect when I contacted MPC about a
>> replacement power supply for a Gateway Pro model owned by a client. I
>> passed up on their service person to do the job, got the power supply
>> in a couple of days, and sent the old one back.
>>
>> Fortunately, most of the parts used in Gateway Pro models are very
>> common commodity stuff, so even if MPC will not handle warranty
>> service, comparable parts are readily available through other sources.
>>
>> MPC will have terrible difficulty selling any new equipment if they do
>> not honor warranties on the old... Ben Myers

> My extended warranty apparently resides with Comp USA where I bought the
> computer. They are in, I believe, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and closed
> local store. Have yet been unable to make contact - phone busy and
> email unanswered. The old Gateway company would have just sent me a
> new keyboard.

Well, then, time to bite the bullet and spend $20 on a replacement
keyboard. Dell's latest USB keyboards are very nice. Or you can always
go with an old-time IBM 101-key clicky-clack keyboard. My IBM 101-key
manufactured in 1984(!!!) still works perfectly... Ben Myers

Ben Myers

_Arthur wrote:
> Nelson Ogden;842837 Wrote:
>> Dear group:
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone could provide some information about MPC
>> going
>> bankrupt. Mainly, I am concerned about the future of the company.
>> Does
>> anyone have any predictions whether they will be back to normal
>> operations
>> or will go broke?
>>
>> We have quite a few Gateway computers that are still under warranty,
>> but
>> since they are under bankruptcy protection, they are not able to
>> provide
>> replacement parts or warranty service. Does anyone else in this group
>> know
>> when (if ever) they will be able to provide replacement parts?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nelson

> Accordind to their SEC filings, MPC (MPZ / MPCCQ.pk) had already sold
> all their parts inventory, including all the Gateway replacement parts,
> to Flextronics in Juarez,MX.
>
> So, even if MPC was to resume some level of operations, they would
> start with the revenue-generating ones first. I cannot conceive any
> scenario where MPC would start servicing warranty holders. The
> warranties liabilities MPC acquired in the cashless acquisition of the
> Gateway business division is a huge financial burden that is likely to
> scare off any potential buyer of this fallen company.
>
> When MPC declared bankruptcy, they had a $104M backlog of undelivered
> computers. Most of those orders have been of course canceled, even
> before the bk was announced. But some has pre-paid their purchase, and
> are left with a mere claim on the bankruptcy proceeds.
>
> Those are my predictions, Nelson. I don't foresee MPC resuming normal
> operations while bk, I don't foresee them exiting bk or being acquired,
> and all the replacement parts are in the hand of a complany which will
> sell them at the best price the market can bear.
>
> All my information is from public sources, the guesswork is all mine.
>
> The US has specific laws about what happens to warranties claims in
> case of a manufacturer bankruptcy. I don't know those laws: anyone ?

Warranty service is at the bottom of the list in a US bankruptcy. Or
maybe not even on the list. Of course, if you are the US Govt with a
small stable of MPC or Gateway business computers, some negotiation is
possible... Ben Myers

Frank

Ben Myers wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>> Ben Myers wrote:

>> My extended warranty apparently resides with Comp USA where I bought
>> the computer. They are in, I believe, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and
>> closed local store. Have yet been unable to make contact - phone busy
>> and email unanswered. The old Gateway company would have just sent
>> me a new keyboard.

> Well, then, time to bite the bullet and spend $20 on a replacement
> keyboard. Dell's latest USB keyboards are very nice. Or you can always
> go with an old-time IBM 101-key clicky-clack keyboard. My IBM 101-key
> manufactured in 1984(!!!) still works perfectly... Ben Myers

Comp USA sent me a new keyboard about a week ago. They also gave
standard connection as requested as new all appear to use USB ports and
mine were filled. I had bought the extended 3 year warranty and have a
year and a half left.

Ben Myers

Frank wrote:
> Ben Myers wrote:
>> Frank wrote:
>>> Ben Myers wrote:

>>> My extended warranty apparently resides with Comp USA where I bought
>>> the computer. They are in, I believe, Chapter 11 bankruptcy and
>>> closed local store. Have yet been unable to make contact - phone
>>> busy and email unanswered. The old Gateway company would have just
>>> sent me a new keyboard.

>> Well, then, time to bite the bullet and spend $20 on a replacement
>> keyboard. Dell's latest USB keyboards are very nice. Or you can
>> always go with an old-time IBM 101-key clicky-clack keyboard. My IBM
>> 101-key manufactured in 1984(!!!) still works perfectly... Ben Myers

> Comp USA sent me a new keyboard about a week ago. They also gave
> standard connection as requested as new all appear to use USB ports and
> mine were filled. I had bought the extended 3 year warranty and have a
> year and a half left.

So CompUSA must be born again after closing all its stores and
liquidating stock, fixtures, and their own office equipment. Now I've
got it! The CompUSA web site shows that TigerDirect bought the brand
name, and there are a mixture of TigerDirect and CompUSA retail stores.
I never knew that TigerDirect did retail. I always thought that they
heaved stuff over the wall at unsuspecting mail order customers. With
every TigerDirect catalog I've ever gotten in the mail, I've found the
fine print to be printed very fine and necessary to read so you have a
better idea of what you think you are getting... Ben Myers

BillW50

Ben Myers wrote on Sat, 06 Dec 2008 20:45:41 -0500:
> So CompUSA must be born again after closing all its stores and
> liquidating stock, fixtures, and their own office equipment. Now I've
> got it! The CompUSA web site shows that TigerDirect bought the brand
> name, and there are a mixture of TigerDirect and CompUSA retail stores.
> I never knew that TigerDirect did retail. I always thought that they
> heaved stuff over the wall at unsuspecting mail order customers. With
> every TigerDirect catalog I've ever gotten in the mail, I've found the
> fine print to be printed very fine and necessary to read so you have a
> better idea of what you think you are getting... Ben Myers

Yes TigerDirect has at least one store in IL. I am not sure, but maybe
there is one in FL too. The one in IL has been around for about 7 years
or more.

With my many years dealing with TigerDirect, they sell lots of stuff
really cheap. Some of it is very poor quality. Yes the fine print helps
a bit to find the wheat from the chaft.

Plus TigerDirect has one of the most outrageous rebate programs. As you
have to go through about 4 hours worth of forms through the web to
qualify. Then you get paid like 6 months later. That was 2 years ago and
I will *never* buy anything from them if it requires a rebate to get
that price. Before then it was easy like most places.

--
Bill
3 Asus EEE PC 7014G ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC