MS-6315 and Linux console mode incompatible?

***** charles

Hi all,

I have tried installing Ubuntu 7.04 on an MS-6315 many
times. The screen goes "crazy" when it is sent into 80x25
character mode. If I wait long enough for it to kick into
graphics mode, everything runs fine. Does anyone know
of a fix for this, bios upgrade, I think I am already at
the latest? At some point in the boot process I have seen
an invalid video code error message but don't remember
which os I was using at the time.

later,
charles.....

guest

On 2007-04-24, ***** charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have tried installing Ubuntu 7.04 on an MS-6315 many
> times. The screen goes "crazy" when it is sent into 80x25
> character mode. If I wait long enough for it to kick into
> graphics mode, everything runs fine. Does anyone know
> of a fix for this, bios upgrade, I think I am already at
> the latest? At some point in the boot process I have seen
> an invalid video code error message but don't remember
> which os I was using at the time.
>
> later,
> charles.....

You have an ATI card? mine is a 9600xt & it does the "same"
thing; but not always. It also happens with winxp on bootup
before the signon screen is displayed; which I guess may be
at full graphics mode & not "console" mode.

Everything was working fine; don't know remember when it started;
as before or after I updated the ATI graphics bios. Since
the problem also happens in winxp before the graphics driver
is loaded, I don't think the problem is linux but the ATI
card; haven't seen any new firmware available & wish I
had the older version somewhere.

***** charles

"guest" <plew@csus_abcdefghij.edu> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-po.edu...
> On 2007-04-24, ***** charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have tried installing Ubuntu 7.04 on an MS-6315 many
> > times. The screen goes "crazy" when it is sent into 80x25
> > character mode. If I wait long enough for it to kick into
> > graphics mode, everything runs fine. Does anyone know
> > of a fix for this, bios upgrade, I think I am already at
> > the latest? At some point in the boot process I have seen
> > an invalid video code error message but don't remember
> > which os I was using at the time.
> >
> > later,
> > charles.....
> >

> You have an ATI card? mine is a 9600xt & it does the "same"
> thing; but not always. It also happens with winxp on bootup
> before the signon screen is displayed; which I guess may be
> at full graphics mode & not "console" mode.
>
> Everything was working fine; don't know remember when it started;
> as before or after I updated the ATI graphics bios. Since
> the problem also happens in winxp before the graphics driver
> is loaded, I don't think the problem is linux but the ATI
> card; haven't seen any new firmware available & wish I
> had the older version somewhere.

My systems have no graphics cards in them, they are running off
the onboard video subsystem. My plan is to install W2K and
sell them off cheap. This is the only time I have ever had a real
problem with Linux.

later.....