MS-7181 and xp

Txl

Hello all,

I am trying to install XP PRO on a K8MM3 (no V) and once the install is over I get to windows but at the first reboot the HDD is not system anymore.

I have tried to install using FAT32 and NTFS, same result.

Knowing that I use a "normal" IDE drive and not a SATA are there some settings to be entered in the bios ?

Thanks for the help

--
Email contact

http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

Txl

Additionnal info :

The MB is set to boot on the HDD I have (40 Gig IDE no SATA).

When I exit the POST screen and get to the ESCD update screen and DMI the computer does NOT boot, If the boot is set up to try other boot devices and I have a bootable (XP) cd in the drive and I let the "press any key to boot from CD" message pass then AND ONLY THEN the computer boots on the drive.

I have played with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and all is fine, it seems that no matter how I set it the MB wants to boot on a SATA drive first and if it doesn't succeed and then try to boot from CD THEN it agrees to try to boot on my normal (non sata) drive.

HOw can I solve this ?

Many thanks

--
Email contact

http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

Not sure if this will help you or not, but some boards with SATA drives have
an option in the BIOS to completely disable the SATA channel if you aren't
using them. I have set up a couple systems that had the problem you are
having, and disabling this feature in the BIOS allowed the systems to boot
up.

Chris

"Txl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsp.tgylp8e3arkwbw@acer...
> Additionnal info :
>
> The MB is set to boot on the HDD I have (40 Gig IDE no SATA).
>
> When I exit the POST screen and get to the ESCD update screen and DMI the
> computer does NOT boot, If the boot is set up to try other boot devices
> and I have a bootable (XP) cd in the drive and I let the "press any key to
> boot from CD" message pass then AND ONLY THEN the computer boots on the
> drive.
>
> I have played with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and all is fine, it seems that no
> matter how I set it the MB wants to boot on a SATA drive first and if it
> doesn't succeed and then try to boot from CD THEN it agrees to try to boot
> on my normal (non sata) drive.
>
> HOw can I solve this ?
>
> Many thanks
>

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am trying to install XP PRO on a K8MM3 (no V) and once the install is
>> over I get to windows but at the first reboot the HDD is not system
>> anymore.
>>
>> I have tried to install using FAT32 and NTFS, same result.
>>
>> Knowing that I use a "normal" IDE drive and not a SATA are there some
>> settings to be entered in the bios ?
>>
>> Thanks for the help
>>

> --
> Email contact
>
> http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

Txl

Hello,

Thanks for the tip but it's one of the first things I've tried (when I saw this "disable sata" option in the bios) and it didn't help.

I've checked MSI's site and there is no bios update for this board, I think I have 1.5 from 03/06/06 and it's quite annoying to have each boot last for over 1 minute, the HDD detection is REALLY REALLY slow and then I have to wait for the CD boot to be able to start windows...

What could I try ?

Thanks

> Not sure if this will help you or not, but some boards with SATA drives have
> an option in the BIOS to completely disable the SATA channel if you aren't
> using them. I have set up a couple systems that had the problem you are
> having, and disabling this feature in the BIOS allowed the systems to boot
> up.
>
> Chris
>
> "Txl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message newsp.tgylp8e3arkwbw@acer...
>> Additionnal info :
>>
>> The MB is set to boot on the HDD I have (40 Gig IDE no SATA).
>>
>> When I exit the POST screen and get to the ESCD update screen and DMI the
>> computer does NOT boot, If the boot is set up to try other boot devices
>> and I have a bootable (XP) cd in the drive and I let the "press any key to
>> boot from CD" message pass then AND ONLY THEN the computer boots on the
>> drive.
>>
>> I have played with FIXBOOT and FIXMBR and all is fine, it seems that no
>> matter how I set it the MB wants to boot on a SATA drive first and if it
>> doesn't succeed and then try to boot from CD THEN it agrees to try to boot
>> on my normal (non sata) drive.
>>
>> HOw can I solve this ?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>

>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install XP PRO on a K8MM3 (no V) and once the install is
>>> over I get to windows but at the first reboot the HDD is not system
>>> anymore.
>>>
>>> I have tried to install using FAT32 and NTFS, same result.
>>>
>>> Knowing that I use a "normal" IDE drive and not a SATA are there some
>>> settings to be entered in the bios ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help
>>>

>> --
>> Email contact
>>
>> http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

--
Email contact

http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa

These are shots in the dark, but they are worth a try and don't cost
anything.

First, I don't know your cabling arrangement for your HDD and CD, but make
sure the HDD is the primary master drive in the BIOS, and the CD drive is
the master. Also, make sure the jumpers on both are set properly. This setup
will require that you have each drive on their own cable, which is the
preferred method anyway. Try using the cable that is connected to your CD
for your HDD cable and see if that helps. you may just have a faulty cable.
If you only have one IDE channel, then make sure the HDD is primary master
and the CD is primary slave. Do not use cable select on the jumper settings.
A lot of times this can cause problems. At least it has for me.

This particular board is actually a Packard Bell board made by MSI, so I
don't know how the BIOS is set up. If it is set up like a retail MSI board,
there should be a setting in the advanced BIOS settings called S.M.A.R.T.
You can try turning this off if it is enabled.

Chris