MSI 6178 onboard sound and MIDI - help needed

km

I have received a donation of the above motherboard (I help a
Charity). The onboard sound works with driver "188xwdm" I downloaded
from MSI site.

There are no problems identified in Device Manager (Win98) but MIDI
doesn't appear to be present. Will not play files and Multimedia
properties has nothing to show MIDI can be used.

Before I disable onboard sound and put in a card can anyone advise
whether MIDI should be available with the onboard set-up. If so do I
need a different driver? Or is there something I overlooked.

The manual says that AC97 and Aureal Vortex 8810 are the options for
audio so I also gave a file "vortex-au 8810-9x" a try but nothing
different came of it.

The user I plan yo give it to plays keyboards so a link with a
computer will be ideal.

KM