jim w

My MSI 7211 system is running 186 Deg F.
3.2 G intel 8oo buss
Was running 116 deg F with a 2.8 D Celeron
at 533 buss.
Any sugestions on geting the temp. down some?
Tnx
Jim

Paul

jim w wrote:
> My MSI 7211 system is running 186 Deg F.
> 3.2 G intel 8oo buss
> Was running 116 deg F with a 2.8 D Celeron
> at 533 buss.
> Any sugestions on geting the temp. down some?
> Tnx
> Jim

Have you verified the Vcore value being used ?

Power is proportional to F*C*V**2. As you raise
F, the heat goes up. Voltage is a squared factor,
so increasing Vcore voltage really makes it hot.

Check in the BIOS, that you aren't manually setting
the Vcore yourself. Let the BIOS try to auto set it
first, and see what happens.

The processor should have invoked throttling at
some point, in an attempt to control the
temperature. So if you tried to benchmark it, you
might not see the full performance.

For example, I have a 3.2Ghz Northwood (512KB cache),
and if I run SuperPI to 1 million digits, I get from
44 seconds to 48 seconds. The 48 seconds, is now that
I'm running anti-virus software.

http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip

When you installed the heatsink, was there some
thermal interface material on it, either a thermal
pad, thermal paste, or something similar ?

Have you checked that the heatsink is sitting flat ?

What I do, is clean the heatsink and CPU. Place a half
rice grain of thermal paste in the center of the CPU.
Fit the heatsink and fasten the clamps, levers or screws,
whatever the thing uses. Then, undo the clamps, take
the heatsink off, and have a look. The thermal paste should
squish in a circular pattern, and reach almost to the edges
of the processor top. Doing this test, tells you two things.
It indicates whether the heatsink sits flat. It also tells
you how much paste you need, to cover the processor. You want
enough paste, that just a tiny bit squirts from the edges of
where the heatsink meets the processor. Not so much should
squirt out, that it makes a mess. But you do want the edge
to be "wetted" with paste, as that proves there is enough
paste present to fill the air gap. And that is why you
use paste in the first place - the thermal paste is a better
conductor of heat, than the tiny air gap that would exist
otherwise, between the heatsink and CPU.

Another possibility, is the temperature measurement
is not accurate. If the processor was really 85C, and
the heatsink was making good contact with the CPU, the
heatsink would be perceptably hot to the touch. Prescotts
run hotter than Northwoods, and right now, my Northwood
runs at maybe 46C when Orthos is running. Maybe 43C
when I run Prime95. I never get remotely close to 85C.

Paul

jim w

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fc5est$tik$(E-Mail Removed)...
> jim w wrote:

Paul
thanks I will look at your information and do what you say.
I don't see any way in BIOS to change the voltage.
Jim
Again thanks

Paul

jim w wrote:
> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fc5est$tik$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> jim w wrote:

> Paul
> thanks I will look at your information and do what you say.
> I don't see any way in BIOS to change the voltage.
> Jim
> Again thanks

I checked the manual, and the info in there is pretty sparse.

http://download2.msi.com.tw/files/do.../M7211v1.2.zip

I don't see a Vcore listed, so it doesn't appear to be supported.

You can look in the hardware monitor. Typically, a hardware
monitor will have a voltage measurement for Vcore. The problem
with measuring the value, is the voltage changes with load.
For example, on an Asus motherboard, the BIOS hardware monitor
might read 0.060V more than the nominal value (a slight overvolt).
When the processor is loaded 100% by a computer program, the
voltage will read low by up to 0.150V. That variation is
known as the "load line", and complicates matters for people who
seek to know what the nominal voltage is.

In the old days, the nominal voltage might have been printed on the box
the processor came in. Then, a change was made. As the processors
were made on the production line, the machines would figure out
what voltage to run the processor with, but they'd throw all the
processors into the same barrel. So the 1.525V processors were
mixed with the 1.500V and the 1.475V processors. When the processors
were put in boxes, there would be no voltage listed on the box.

The VID code is readable by probing the VID signals that come
from the processor. But that is not exactly convenient.

So looking at the hardware monitor might give you some idea. But
the voltage would have to be pretty far off, to conclude it
was a voltage problem. It is much easier to have a Vcore setting
in the BIOS, because between the BIOS setting screen, and the
hardware monitor, you can kind of calibrate your system, and
figure out what it is being fed.

Paul

jim w

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fc5nkl$mia$(E-Mail Removed)...
> jim w wrote:
>> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fc5est$tik$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> jim w wrote:

Thanks again I will download the manual
the cpu reads 85C System reads 33C
If I disable hypothread it will cool down to about 50C
I have plenty of heatsink compound. Are some better than others?
I installed an aux. fan blowing towared the cpu/heatsink. Did not help.
Will keep trying.
Thanks again
Jim

Paul

jim w wrote:
> "Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fc5nkl$mia$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> jim w wrote:

> Thanks again I will download the manual
> the cpu reads 85C System reads 33C
> If I disable hypothread it will cool down to about 50C
> I have plenty of heatsink compound. Are some better than others?
> I installed an aux. fan blowing towared the cpu/heatsink. Did not help.
> Will keep trying.
> Thanks again
> Jim

Hard to believe that HyperThreading would make that much difference.

Is your BIOS up to date ? Occasionally, a problem may clear up
after changing the BIOS. BIOS updates are not without risk, but
if your CPU is really at 85C, it isn't going to be doing you much
good anyway (throttling, or shutting down when doing serious work).

Also, look in the BIOS hardware monitor screen. What voltage is
being fed to the CPU ? It should be called Vcore.

Do you have the box that the CPU came in ? There should be two
numbers on the bar code label on the box. For example, my processor is

BX80532PC1800DSL63X

That gives two numbers, order code = BX80532PC1800D and SSPEC = SL63X.
My processor is listed at 1.5V and I use a little more Vcore in the
BIOS, because I'm overclocking a bit. Not all processors have a Vcore
value listed, and some will list a range (which is useless for debugging,
as you want to know exactly what it is). The part number is probably printed
on top of the CPU, but if you have the box, you don't have to take things
apart to figure it out.

http://processorfinder.intel.com (search boxes at the bottom...)
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL63X (my CPU)

Heatsink compounds are within a few degrees of one another, so
changing compounds won't fix an 85C temperature. Only a thin
layer of paste is needed, and the resistance of that should be
fairly low. The only bad paste products, are the ones that flow
away from where they are applied, in a matter of a couple months.
Like the RadioShack zinc paste they used to sell.

Paul

jim w

> Paul

Thank you for the help
I will return this cpu and use the older one I have
running at 2.8G. It is a D unit and only runs at 533 buss.
But the temp is 116F / 47C.
I am not a gamer so I probably will not notice much change
I might try another mobo later.

Jim