MSI Diagnostic lights/Raid 0

cablemodemtech@gmail.com

I have an MSI K8n Diamond plus mainboard that won't boot anymore.
After stripping it down to just the memory, the cpu, and the
diagnostics leds, I can only get the first LED to turn green.ccording
to the manual, this indicates "Early chipset initialization". So what
would I do to fix that? I've also tried a new CPU and a new Power
supply.

My BIG problem is that I have all my data on two RAID 0 arrays. In
order to get the data back, I would order the same mainboard again if
I can find it, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a
different board and still recover my data? These boards seem to be
hard to find.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have an MSI K8n Diamond plus mainboard that won't boot anymore.
> After stripping it down to just the memory, the cpu, and the
> diagnostics leds, I can only get the first LED to turn green.ccording
> to the manual, this indicates "Early chipset initialization". So what
> would I do to fix that? I've also tried a new CPU and a new Power
> supply.
>
> My BIG problem is that I have all my data on two RAID 0 arrays. In
> order to get the data back, I would order the same mainboard again if
> I can find it, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a
> different board and still recover my data? These boards seem to be
> hard to find.

If you cannot find the exact same motherboard, or cannot get the
motherboard repaired under warranty, I'd look for another
Nvidia chipset based board. The thing is, the metadata on the
hard drives (the "reserved sector"), if properly designed, should
be compatible between the various chipsets. This is "soft raid" after
all. A new motherboard may not be able to boot from the arrays, but
perhaps the Mediashield drivers can make the arrays visible in Windows,
once you boot with a different boot disk.

While this won't help much, there is a basic RAID manual for Nvidia.

Reference material - ForceWare_MediaShield_Users_Guide
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_28159.html

Paul

Owner of three blown Post Diagnostic Cards requires your help... Electronic Components Asus 3 10-19-2004 01:33 PM
Owner of three blown Post Diagnostic Cards requires your help... Electronic Components Abit 3 10-19-2004 01:33 PM
A7V333 and windows memory diagnostic Roy Asus 2 08-21-2004 05:18 AM
LAN diagnostic software Tony Abit 10 12-23-2003 12:24 AM
Diagnostic Codes for the the A7N8X Kent Shaw Asus 2 07-07-2003 11:17 PM