MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Questions

Todd

Hi,

I have an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard and have a question. I want to add another
gig of ram to
the two 512 sticks I already have in it. Will this board still operate in dual channel
mode if I have four 512 sticks in it? Does it ratchet the memory speed down to 333 MHz
from its current 400 MHz? I read a review of this board on Hard [OC] and they said the
board refused to boot when filled with four 512 sticks of ram.

Also, I have bios version 1.B0. Should I upgrade to the latest bios and is there any
advantages in the new bios?

Any insights are welcomed
--
Todd

scsisys

If using single-sided modules, then it will run in dual channel with all
slots filled.

If using double-sided modules, then it will not run in dual channel
mode with all slots filled.

The manual (pg. 2-8) has a chart of the various combinations of memory
that can used in different slot combinations.

"Todd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum motherboard and have a question. I

want to add another
> gig of ram to
> the two 512 sticks I already have in it. Will this board still operate in

dual channel
> mode if I have four 512 sticks in it? Does it ratchet the memory speed

down to 333 MHz
> from its current 400 MHz? I read a review of this board on Hard [OC] and

they said the
> board refused to boot when filled with four 512 sticks of ram.
>
> Also, I have bios version 1.B0. Should I upgrade to the latest bios

and is there any
> advantages in the new bios?
>
> Any insights are welcomed
> --
> Todd

Todd

Where on earth are you supposed to get single sided ram anymore?

The thing about this is that I am getting conflicting reports from people on these
questions. AnandTech has a forum thread dedicated entirely to this motherboard and it is
REALLY long--37 pages worth. (Ask me how I know.) Anyway, I read the WHOLE thing and got
people saying what you said, others saying it works fine with doubled sided ram, even if
it is four 512 MB ram sticks. Others say "No, use two 1 Gig sticks of ram."

As you can see, I'm being dragged several different directions at once
--
Todd

devon

I certain that if you want 2 Gig running at DDR400, then you MUST use (2) 1
Gig modules. This also means that you will not be able to run 4 Gig at
DDR400.