Multmedia laptops: Didn't think I needed one but was wrong

me@privacy.net

I just bought my first ever laptop...... a business
class Lenovo Thinkpad R61i. Great little laptop but
TERRIBLE multimedia aspects. Poor speakers, etc.

Now I really didn't think that playing music or media
was gonna be a big deal with me..... but since having
this laptop I've really enjoyed the ability to listen
to Internet radio, mp3 files, etc.... AND have the
ability to move it from room to room or deck while
doing so!

Having said al this.... was just curious how many of
you find that media aspects of laptops are important to
YOU for the same reason?

Do you move your laptop form room to room at home while
listening to music, podcasts, Internet radio? And is
sound important to you when deciding on what laptop to
buy?

Tom Rutherford

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just bought my first ever laptop...... a business
> class Lenovo Thinkpad R61i. Great little laptop but
> TERRIBLE multimedia aspects. Poor speakers, etc.
>
> Now I really didn't think that playing music or media
> was gonna be a big deal with me..... but since having
> this laptop I've really enjoyed the ability to listen
> to Internet radio, mp3 files, etc.... AND have the
> ability to move it from room to room or deck while
> doing so!
>
> Having said al this.... was just curious how many of
> you find that media aspects of laptops are important to
> YOU for the same reason?
>
> Do you move your laptop form room to room at home while
> listening to music, podcasts, Internet radio? And is
> sound important to you when deciding on what laptop to
> buy?

The only real demand I have as far as sound goes is that the laptop have it.
If I want to listen to sound, I can always add speakers. Expecting a laptop
to have good sound is kind of like expecting your new Prius to turn a
6-second quarter mile. It's not gonna happen. There's no room for decent
speakers, and it's a plastic box, too.

Having said that, no, I don't listen to sound that much on my laptop. If I
have to use the laptop instead of the desktop, as in the desktop being out
of action, I hook my speakers, monitor, keyboard, etc., to the dock, and
drop the laptop on it.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
(Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

me@privacy.net

Joe Kappus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:24:06 -0500, me wrote:
>
>> I just bought my first ever laptop...... a business class Lenovo
>> Thinkpad R61i. Great little laptop but TERRIBLE multimedia aspects. Poor
>> speakers, etc.
>>

>Something I noticed, the old T2x series thinkpads had pretty powerful
>speakers...

OK cool! Speakers are the weak spot in my R61i for
sure!