My temp for CPU is 44 for the northbridge - is this normal?

daviddschool@gmail.com

My temp for CPU is 44 for the northbridge - is this normal?
I have just recently upgraded my motherboard and I noticed my CPU
northbridge temp is at 44 degrees - is this ok? The CPU temp is at a
steady 25, but the northbridge is the one that is high. Should I
worry?
I am using a pent 4 D 3.0 ghz.

Augustus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My temp for CPU is 44 for the northbridge - is this normal?
> I have just recently upgraded my motherboard and I noticed my CPU
> northbridge temp is at 44 degrees - is this ok? The CPU temp is at a
> steady 25, but the northbridge is the one that is high. Should I
> worry?
> I am using a pent 4 D 3.0 ghz.

Highly unlikley that your actual P4D 3.0Ghz CPU temp is 25C if this is an
air cooled rig, no matter what the cooler. 44C for the m/b chipset diode
reading isn't out of line. What's the ambient room temp and how well
ventilated is the case?

daviddschool@gmail.com

It is typical room temperate and the case is wide open. I think I
might have too much paste between the chip and the fan though -
someone told me too much can lead to higher temperatures...should I be
worried? Should I crack it open and get rid of the paste and reapply?

On May 13, 7:14 pm, "Augustus" <no_one@no_where.net> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > My temp for CPU is 44 for the northbridge - is this normal?
> > I have just recently upgraded my motherboard and I noticed my CPU
> > northbridge temp is at 44 degrees - is this ok? The CPU temp is at a
> > steady 25, but the northbridge is the one that is high. Should I
> > worry?
> > I am using a pent 4 D 3.0 ghz.

> Highly unlikley that your actual P4D 3.0Ghz CPU temp is 25C if this is an
> air cooled rig, no matter what the cooler. 44C for the m/b chipset diode
> reading isn't out of line. What's the ambient room temp and how well
> ventilated is the case?

daviddschool@gmail.com

You are right, I didn't give enough info, so here goes :
The program I am using is called :
NXsensor : it has four readins - two hard drive readings, a processor
and Northbridge. That is where I got the information from,
I built the computer myself. I had my old p5p800SE motherboard fail
on me and I purchased a quick P5GC-MX/1333 ASUS motherboard to fill in
the gap. When I change the motherboard, I didn't take off the thermal
paste from the original installation and put a little more on it.
Room temperature is about 72 degree I would say, maybe a bit higher.
The case is open, I have not overclocked it or changed any of the
voltage settings. There is one cooling fan on the processor and as I
have said, I leave the case open. This seems to be the operating
temperature for just surfing and nothing really taxing on the system.
Interestingly enough, it has dropped to a steady 41 degrees today.
First time this week.
Sorry about my ignorance in this...

> >> Highly unlikley that your actual P4D 3.0Ghz CPU temp is 25C if this is an
> >> air cooled rig, no matter what the cooler. 44C for the m/b chipset diode
> >> reading isn't out of line. What's the ambient room temp and how well
> >> ventilated is the case?

Ed Medlin

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> [...]
>> First time this week.

> _____
>
> With a room temperature of ~ 72 F ( ~ 22 C ), the 25 C you report is too
> low to be the actual Northbridge chip temperature, and far too low to be
> the CPU temperature. 'Just surfing and nothing really taxing on the
> system' could mean that the CPU is actually idle most of the time, so 45 C
> (or 41 C) could be reasonable for the CPU temperature.
>
> It seems that NXsensor is telling you things it doesn't really know. What
> hard drive temperature(s) does it report? There is little mention of
> NXsensor on the Internet (accessed via a Google search); I downloaded it
> and tried it on a Vista system, but it wouldn't function. I'd recommend
> you avoid installing an applet with such a thin reputation and instead try
> to use ASUS Probe (I think that's the correct name) supplied by your
> motherboard manufacturer. There are several other monitoring applets
> (like CPU Cool or CPUz) available that may work correctly for your system.
>
> Getting a correct temperature report from a monitoring applet depends on
> the particular monitoring chip(s) the motherboard uses AND how the
> motherboard manufacturer implements the sensor (what external components -
> capacitors and resistors are used; and for the motherboard sensor, whether
> a transistor, diode, or thermistor is used.)
>
> The generally done thing here (alt.comp.hardware.overclocking) is to
> record temperature readings while the CPU is idle AND when the CPU is
> under the heaviest possible workload. Then you have a basis to compare
> your system temperatures with the system temperatures of other posters.
> The high stress temperatures are the most important, the idle temperatures
> are mainly useful in diagnosing WHAT exactly is wrong with your cooling
> when the high stress temperature are too high ( ~ 70 C for a Dell box, ~
> 60 C for a home built system with adequate ventilation, ~ 50 C [ideally]
> for a system you overclock [overclocking depends on trading temperature
> operating margin for clock speed margin, among other things]).
>
> If Fahrenheit temperatures are native for you, bite the bullet and get
> your computer system temperatures in Celsius, then you will only have to
> convert the room temperature, and your numbers will be on the same scale
> that is generally used in this newsgroup (and I suppose in other
> overclocking groups.)
>
> Depending on where the motherboard temperature sensor is located, the
> temperature at that spot is likely to be lower with the case CLOSED and
> with at least one or two 80 mm or larger system case fans.
>
> At any rate, Intel CPUs don't really fail because of high temperatures;
> they lock up and cool off before the high temperature trip sensor on the
> CPU chip itself ever gets hot enough to switch the CPU off to cool it
> down.
>
> Bottom line, get real temperatures before you change anything but the

I have an EM64T 3.0ghz @ 3.6 in a system with just slightly better than
the stock Intel HS/Fan and I believe it should run at about the same temps
as the 'D' processor for comparison (at least as close as anything else I
have here....:-). They run fairly warm in the best of conditions. Mine idles
at around 50C but maxes out under stress in the mid/upper 60sC. This is in a
well ventilated Lian Li PC60 case with room temps at 20-22C (68-70F) and
ambient case temp (thermistor hanging in middle of case not close to heat
sources) of about 27C. It is a 'good' performer and very stable even with
the warm temps. I have had it running as a file server/backup system with a
couple of TBs of storage for a year or so 24/7. Cooler is always better, but
some of the later P4 class processors just ran hot but seem to handle it ok.
As Phil suggested, try and switch to Celsius when talking temps since
that is what all of us have been thinking in over the years and my old mind
doesn't do conversions very well any more.......:-).

Ed

daviddschool@gmail.com

Ok, I have installed Asus Probe and this is what it says :

CPU - runs fbetween 41 and 50 C - is is dropping as I write this
email, probably because of the startup of the system? It don't know
why it is fluctuating, because I am not using anything but email, but
you folks seem to more about this then I ever will. I don't see
anything for the HD temps, but Asus Probe II has
Vcore - 1.30,
+3.3 - 3.26V
+5 - 5.04
+12 - 11.93
CPU 40-50 C
CPU - 2596 RPM.

I am not sure what the first set of numbers are but the Nexsensor, is
says my Seagate and Maxtor hard drives are functioning at around 40 C
respectively.

I tried CPUZ but didn't see anything for temperature in that
application.
I ran some applications like an NLE, VLC player, SPACEtime 3d,
Dreamweaver, FTP program, both browsers and it went as high as 47. I
then went into my NLE And started rendering out while surfing and it
surged to 57 C and that is when I fiddling around with it.
Does this help?

> [...]

why it is fluctuating, because I am not using anything but email, but
you folks seem to more about this then I ever will. I don't see
anything for the HD temps, but Asus Probe II has
Vcore - 1.30,
+3.3 - 3.26V
+5 - 5.04
+12 - 11.93
CPU 40-50 C
CPU - 2596 RPM.

I am not sure what the first set of numbers are but the Nexsensor, is
says my Seagate and Maxtor hard drives are functioning at around 40 C
respectively.

I tried CPUZ but didn't see anything for temperature in that
application.
I ran some applications like an NLE, VLC player, SPACEtime 3d,
Dreamweaver, FTP program, both browsers and it went as high as 47. I
then went into my NLE And started rendering out while surfing and it
surged to 57 C and that is when I STOPPED fiddling around with it.
Does this help?

> > Depending on where the motherboard temperature sensor is located, the
> > temperature at that spot is likely to be lower with the case CLOSED and
> > with at least one or two 80 mm or larger system case fans.

> > At any rate, Intel CPUs don't really fail because of high temperatures;
> > they lock up and cool off before the high temperature trip sensor on the
> > CPU chip itself ever gets hot enough to switch the CPU off to cool it
> > down.

> > Bottom line, get real temperatures before you change anything but the
> > temperature monitoring applet.

> > Phil Weldon

> I have an EM64T 3.0ghz @ 3.6 in a system with just slightly better than
> the stock Intel HS/Fan and I believe it should run at about the same temps
> as the 'D' processor for comparison (at least as close as anything else I
> have here....:-). They run fairly warm in the best of conditions. Mine idles
> at around 50C but maxes out under stress in the mid/upper 60sC. This is in a
> well ventilated Lian Li PC60 case with room temps at 20-22C (68-70F) and
> ambient case temp (thermistor hanging in middle of case not close to heat
> sources) of about 27C. It is a 'good' performer and very stable even with
> the warm temps. I have had it running as a file server/backup system with a
> couple of TBs of storage for a year or so 24/7. Cooler is always better, but
> some of the later P4 class processors just ran hot but seem to handle it ok.
> As Phil suggested, try and switch to Celsius when talking temps since
> that is what all of us have been thinking in over the years and my old mind
> doesn't do conversions very well any more.......:-).
>
> Ed

Augustus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I have installed Asus Probe and this is what it says :
>
> CPU - runs fbetween 41 and 50 C - is is dropping as I write this
> email, probably because of the startup of the system? It don't know
> why it is fluctuating, because I am not using anything but email, but
> you folks seem to more about this then I ever will.

<snip>

>I ran some applications like an NLE, VLC player, SPACEtime 3d,
>Dreamweaver, FTP program, both browsers and it went as high as 47. I
>then went into my NLE And started rendering out while surfing and it
>surged to 57 C and that is when I STOPPED fiddling around with it.
>Does this help?

Your temperatures and variations you are seeing are 100% normal and are
actually on the lower operating range for a 3.0Ghz P4D setup. Just to give
you a comparison from a newer setup, my E8400 running at stock voltage but
at 3.6Ghz runs at 47C idle and at 57 to59C under 100% load on both cores
with Prime95 in an Antec 182 case with added cooling. (Room temp:22C)
Running at 100% stock (3.0Ghz ) with a decent Coolermaster hs/f it would
idle at 37C and go to 45-47 full load.

daviddschool@gmail.com

Ok, so it sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. Now, if
it does over-heat - what is the worse thing that will happen? Will it
fry my HD's? The motherboard? The processor? Does it have auto-shut
down's if it gets too hot?

> Your temperatures and variations you are seeing are 100% normal and are
> actually on the lower operating range for a 3.0Ghz P4D setup. Just to give
> you a comparison from a newer setup, my E8400 running at stock voltage but
> at 3.6Ghz runs at 47C idle and at 57 to59C under 100% load on both cores
> with Prime95 in an Antec 182 case with added cooling. (Room temp:22C)
> Running at 100% stock (3.0Ghz ) with a decent Coolermaster hs/f it would
> idle at 37C and go to 45-47 full load.

Augustus

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, so it sounds like I don't have anything to worry about. Now, if
> it does over-heat - what is the worse thing that will happen? Will it
> fry my HD's? The motherboard? The processor? Does it have auto-shut
> down's if it gets too hot?
>

>> Your temperatures and variations you are seeing are 100% normal and are
>> actually on the lower operating range for a 3.0Ghz P4D setup. Just to
>> give
>> you a comparison from a newer setup, my E8400 running at stock voltage
>> but
>> at 3.6Ghz runs at 47C idle and at 57 to59C under 100% load on both cores
>> with Prime95 in an Antec 182 case with added cooling. (Room temp:22C)
>> Running at 100% stock (3.0Ghz ) with a decent Coolermaster hs/f it would
>> idle at 37C and go to 45-47 full load.

Well, like Ed or Phil said, the CPU will simply lock up without causing any
physical damage or issues. But believe me, you are nowhere near this level.
My brother had (bought new at the time) a Dell XPS box with a P4D Extreme
Edition 3.8Ghz unit in it and the temps off that thing were extreme to say
the least...almost double yours...yet it was 100% stable in gaming and
everything else.