Mystery motherboards - Compaq Deskpro SB - won't boot

Peter Allison

I have acquired three Socket 370 motherboards, marked 305 Rev0AS21, also
with part numbers 011305-101 and 011306-000.

From what I can tell these are the basis for a Deskpro SB (?) machine, but
none of them will boot! They have on-board graphics, and a memory card
marked "4Mb AIMM 133Mhz CL3" is provided for the AGP slot.

I have tried various processors and memory sticks - the LEDs on the board
light when I plug in the PS and trip the 'power on' pins, but no boot!
I notice that some of the pins to the panel are marked SCSI LED and
LOOPBACK - are either of these crucial to the boot sequence?

Any help appreciated!!

Peter Allison
Swindon, UK.

Ben Myers

I ***THINK*** I have run into this motherboard. This is a full ATX board?
Check the power supply connector, counting its "pins". IIRC, it is 24-pin,
rather than the more usual 20-pin ATX connector of that era. I had some that
used 800MHz Pentium 3 CPUs. The SCSI LED and LOOPBACK jumpers are not critical.
The pinout from the motherboard to the front panel (on-off momentary switch,
power-on LED, HDD active LED) is something I cannot remember... Ben Myers

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:20:35 +0100, "Peter Allison" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have acquired three Socket 370 motherboards, marked 305 Rev0AS21, also
>with part numbers 011305-101 and 011306-000.
>
>From what I can tell these are the basis for a Deskpro SB (?) machine, but
>none of them will boot! They have on-board graphics, and a memory card
>marked "4Mb AIMM 133Mhz CL3" is provided for the AGP slot.
>
>I have tried various processors and memory sticks - the LEDs on the board
>light when I plug in the PS and trip the 'power on' pins, but no boot!
>I notice that some of the pins to the panel are marked SCSI LED and
>LOOPBACK - are either of these crucial to the boot sequence?
>
>Any help appreciated!!
>
>Peter Allison
>Swindon, UK.

Peter Allison

Yes, Ben, that's the one.

I have used a power supply with a 24-pin connector, should that not do the
trick?

Peter

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I ***THINK*** I have run into this motherboard. This is a full ATX board?
> Check the power supply connector, counting its "pins". IIRC, it is
> 24-pin,
> rather than the more usual 20-pin ATX connector of that era. I had some
> that
> used 800MHz Pentium 3 CPUs. The SCSI LED and LOOPBACK jumpers are not
> critical.
> The pinout from the motherboard to the front panel (on-off momentary
> switch,
> power-on LED, HDD active LED) is something I cannot remember... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:20:35 +0100, "Peter Allison"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>I have acquired three Socket 370 motherboards, marked 305 Rev0AS21, also
>>with part numbers 011305-101 and 011306-000.
>>
>>From what I can tell these are the basis for a Deskpro SB (?) machine, but
>>none of them will boot! They have on-board graphics, and a memory card
>>marked "4Mb AIMM 133Mhz CL3" is provided for the AGP slot.
>>
>>I have tried various processors and memory sticks - the LEDs on the board
>>light when I plug in the PS and trip the 'power on' pins, but no boot!
>>I notice that some of the pins to the panel are marked SCSI LED and
>>LOOPBACK - are either of these crucial to the boot sequence?
>>
>>Any help appreciated!!
>>
>>Peter Allison
>>Swindon, UK.

Peter Allison

No drives attached.

The pins marked 'loopback' are on the motherboard alongside the 'power
switch' pins.

LEDs light up, but power supply fan does not run and no beeps or POST
messages.

Peter

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Peter Allison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XX5ak.96238$(E-Mail Removed)2...
>>I have acquired three Socket 370 motherboards, marked 305 Rev0AS21, also
>>with part numbers 011305-101 and 011306-000.

> https://www.serversupply.com/product...p?q=011305-101
>
> http://www.serversupply.com/MOTHERBO...011305-101.htm
>

>> From what I can tell these are the basis for a Deskpro SB (?) machine,
>> but none of them will boot! They have on-board graphics, and a memory
>> card marked "4Mb AIMM 133Mhz CL3" is provided for the AGP slot.
>>

> http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Samsung-...-Memory-Module
>
>> I have tried various processors and memory sticks - the LEDs on the board
>> light when I plug in the PS and trip the 'power on' pins, but no boot!

> By 'BOOT' do you mean " any visible power up sequence " ?
> or do you have a drive in there ?
>
>> I notice that some of the pins to the panel are marked SCSI LED and
>> LOOPBACK - are either of these crucial to the boot sequence?
>>
>> Any help appreciated!!
>>
>> Peter Allison
>> Swindon, UK.

> Do you know memory cards are good ?
> If you remove memory - do you get beep code ?
>
> The SCSI LED would just show disk activity.
> "Loopback pins" This is on the front panel ? or motherboard ?
> ===
> BTW all HP Socket 370 motherboards on his site:
> http://www.shopping.com/-socket+370+...boards+Hewlett

Ben Myers

Peter,

You need the specific Compaq 24-pin power supply intended for this motherboard.
Why did Compaq use a 24-pin power supply? Why do any of these companies use
such proprietary hardware? Dell did similar extremely stupid things with its
Pentium 3 systems, too. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt that the pinout on a
newer P4 24-pin power supply matches this one... Ben Myers

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 11:25:44 +0100, "Peter Allison" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Yes, Ben, that's the one.
>
>I have used a power supply with a 24-pin connector, should that not do the
>trick?
>
>Peter
>

>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I ***THINK*** I have run into this motherboard. This is a full ATX board?
>> Check the power supply connector, counting its "pins". IIRC, it is
>> 24-pin,
>> rather than the more usual 20-pin ATX connector of that era. I had some
>> that
>> used 800MHz Pentium 3 CPUs. The SCSI LED and LOOPBACK jumpers are not
>> critical.
>> The pinout from the motherboard to the front panel (on-off momentary
>> switch,
>> power-on LED, HDD active LED) is something I cannot remember... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:20:35 +0100, "Peter Allison"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have acquired three Socket 370 motherboards, marked 305 Rev0AS21, also
>>>with part numbers 011305-101 and 011306-000.
>>>
>>>From what I can tell these are the basis for a Deskpro SB (?) machine, but
>>>none of them will boot! They have on-board graphics, and a memory card
>>>marked "4Mb AIMM 133Mhz CL3" is provided for the AGP slot.
>>>
>>>I have tried various processors and memory sticks - the LEDs on the board
>>>light when I plug in the PS and trip the 'power on' pins, but no boot!
>>>I notice that some of the pins to the panel are marked SCSI LED and
>>>LOOPBACK - are either of these crucial to the boot sequence?
>>>
>>>Any help appreciated!!
>>>
>>>Peter Allison
>>>Swindon, UK.

Junior Member

I thought in context it was fair advice "Please: do not do
anything rash. I have seen a lot of reports of people who
reformat and reinstall when they run into this problem, losing
all their data in the process. There is often no need to do
anything that drastic. First read this post, and see if anything
here helps you. If not, call Microsoft's technical support line
and see if they can't help you.

Peter Allison

As you say, why people like Compaq and Dell do this, just to frustrate
people like you and I!

I guess the P4 24-pin power supply hadn't been invented when these boards
came out!

Fortunately the person who sold me these three boards has been very
understanding so far, now I need to see if they can see my point of view!