N-Router recommendations?

Most of our family laptops now support the N protocol,
and coverage is weak on the G band in some parts of the
house.

Any strong recommendations for a new router? Fast and
reliable are my main criteria.

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Bob_Villa

On Friday, June 1, 2012 10:44:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
> Most of our family laptops now support the N protocol,
> and coverage is weak on the G band in some parts of the
> house.
>
> Any strong recommendations for a new router? Fast and
> reliable are my main criteria.
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

If you want fast use a wired set-up. You will not see any real difference for your money between the two.

Bob_Villa <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> On Friday, June 1, 2012 10:44:14 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
>> Most of our family laptops now support the N protocol,
>> and coverage is weak on the G band in some parts of the
>> house.
>>
>> Any strong recommendations for a new router? Fast and
>> reliable are my main criteria.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

>> --
>> Andrew Hall
>> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

> If you want fast use a wired set-up. You will not see any real difference for your money between the two.

True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
copying.

I have gigabit pulled through most of the house, and when "home" the
computers are wired in.

But the kids move from room to room, and they copy files to each other.

Plus I have set up SyncBack to backup their documents and emails to other
in-house computers.

Hence I think it is now worth it to upgrade to an "N" enabled router.
Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Timothy Daniels

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Bob_Villa writes:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Most of our family laptops now support the N protocol,
>>> and coverage is weak on the G band in some parts of the
>>> house.
>>>
>>> Any strong recommendations for a new router? Fast and
>>> reliable are my main criteria.
>>> [...]

>> If you want fast use a wired set-up. You will not see any real
>> difference for your money between the two.

> True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
> copying.
>
> I have gigabit pulled through most of the house...

Are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Bob_Villa writes:

>>> If you want fast use a wired set-up. You will not see any real
>>> difference for your money between the two.

>> True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
>> copying.
>>
>> I have gigabit pulled through most of the house...

> Are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

No, as the part of my post you snipped made clear.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Timothy Daniels

(E-Mail Removed) replied:
> "Timothy Daniels" writes:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
>>> copying.
>>>
>>> I have gigabit pulled through most of the house...

>> Are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

> No, as the part of my post you snipped made clear.

Editing is standard Usenet procedure to save bandwidth and
to hone in on the subject of a comment or question. In this
case, a poster commented that wired connections woud be
fastest. What other parts of your reply made it clear that you
agreed or disagreed with that? Specifically, the phrase
"not true for intranet file copying". You wrote:
---------------------------------------
True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
copying.

I have gigabit pulled through most of the house, and when "home" the
computers are wired in.

But the kids move from room to room, and they copy files to each other.

Plus I have set up SyncBack to backup their documents and emails to other
in-house computers.

Hence I think it is now worth it to upgrade to an "N" enabled router.
Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
---------------------------------------

So again, are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> (E-Mail Removed) replied:

>>> Are you saying that 802.11.n is faster than gigabit ethernet?

>> No, as the part of my post you snipped made clear.

> Editing is standard Usenet procedure to save bandwidth and
> to hone in on the subject of a comment or question. In this
> case, a poster commented that wired connections woud be
> fastest. What other parts of your reply made it clear that you
> agreed or disagreed with that? Specifically, the phrase
> "not true for intranet file copying". You wrote:
> True for the outside internet connection, not true for intranet file
> copying.
>
> I have gigabit pulled through most of the house, and when "home" the
> computers are wired in.

Right here is one hint.

> But the kids move from room to room, and they copy files to each other.

Here is the 2nd.

Clearly the extra wireless speed is desired when their computers are
not "home" and wired into the LAN.