Is NAV necessary in Mac OSX Tiger?

Bible John

I will have to repurchase NAV, or do I need it? Yes I use MS Office,
and no I do not normally download files from the Internet and open them
in Word.

John

--
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible/

Jerry Kindall

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bible
John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I will have to repurchase NAV, or do I need it?

You probably don't need any antivirus software at this point. If you
decide to buy some, I wouldn't buy NAV; it is only partially compatible
with Tiger and no update has been announced.

Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.

Lloyd Parsons

In article <010620050830591977%(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Jerry Kindall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bible
> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I will have to repurchase NAV, or do I need it?

> You probably don't need any antivirus software at this point. If you
> decide to buy some, I wouldn't buy NAV; it is only partially compatible
> with Tiger and no update has been announced.

Are there any av's compatible with Tiger out yet?

Tim Murray

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:48:31 -0400, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

> Are there any av's compatible with Tiger out yet?

Yes, see http://www.clamxav.com/

Lloyd Parsons

In article <(E-Mail Removed) uth.net>,
Tim Murray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:48:31 -0400, Lloyd Parsons wrote:
> >
> > Are there any av's compatible with Tiger out yet?

> Yes, see http://www.clamxav.com/

Thanks, I'll look at it tonight.

Right now, the site isn't loading too fast.....

Charles

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tacit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> And people pay MONEY--real money, for "protection" from a nonexistent
> threat--for this!

Just because there are no viruses at this time does not mean the threat
is nonexistant.

--
Charles

Tim Murray

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 17:30:34 -0400, Charles wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tacit <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> And people pay MONEY--real money, for "protection" from a nonexistent
>> threat--for this!

> Just because there are no viruses at this time does not mean the threat
> is nonexistant.

Indeed. Some kid with zits, a pizza, a Jolt cola, and no chance at ever
having sex with another human being, is working on one as we speak (or so the
saying goes).

Howard S Shubs

In article <010620051730344365%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just because there are no viruses at this time does not mean the threat
> is nonexistant.

He believes in closing the barn door after the horse has left. The rest
of us try closing it BEFORE.

--
Though I've tried, I've fallen... / I have sunk so low
I have messed up / Better I should know

Ed Anson

Howard S Shubs wrote:
> In article <010620051730344365%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Just because there are no viruses at this time does not mean the threat
>>is nonexistant.

> He believes in closing the barn door after the horse has left. The rest
> of us try closing it BEFORE.

The problem is that antivirus software tends to require adaptation to
each virus. IOW you need to update your software as each virus appears.
In the case of Mac OS X, you need to obtain your software after the
first virus appears. NAV will be no protection against a virus that
doesn't exist yet. But it can cause worse damage than most viruses do. I
ripped NAV out of my system ages ago.

Howard S Shubs

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ed Anson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The problem is that antivirus software tends to require adaptation to
> each virus. IOW you need to update your software as each virus appears.

In general, viruses do not spontaneously appear everywhere at once. If
you're updating your virusdefs at least daily, you should be fine. Now,
NAV is another issue. I'd not buy anything from Symantec, period.