NBColympics.com

John McWilliams

For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
Very repeatable. Have
"Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 — from file “Flash Player.plugin” "

Any ideas? (One must have created a web sign in with his provider such
as DIRECTV, Dish, Comcast, Verizon or one of a hundred others).

Lloyd

In article <juudva$6pe$(E-Mail Removed)>,
John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
> registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
> cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
> providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
> Very repeatable. Have
> "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 ‹ from file łFlash Player.plugin˛ "
>
> Any ideas? (One must have created a web sign in with his provider such
> as DIRECTV, Dish, Comcast, Verizon or one of a hundred others).

I just went there and did the sign up. My screen showed my DirecTV
signin and I clicked. Then it opened another tab at somewhere in
Adobe(?), but didn't let me go further on the NBColympics page.

I closed it and went back to nbcolympics.com and it said I was ready to
go.

If it isn't picking up your D* signin, it might be that you are too new
to D*.

Patty Winter

In article <juudva$6pe$(E-Mail Removed)>,
John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
>registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
>cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
>providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.

I had that problem when I tried to sign up using the old version
of Firefox on my Macbook a couple of weeks ago. Tried again with
(an also old) version of Safari and it worked. Firefox worked fine
on my late-model iMac. As you noticed, there's no real indication
of what has gone wrong. I dunno why neither Safari nor Chrome has
worked for you, but maybe try Firefox??

I forgot to test the live feed during the live soccer broadcasts
yesterday, but I did try some replays (including the 2008 opening
ceremony) and it worked fine, so I think I'm in. I won't have another
chance to verify it on a live broadcast until tomorrow, because NBC
isn't offering the opening ceremony live on any platform.

Patty

*Hemidactylus*

On 07/27/2012 12:00 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
> For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
> registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
> cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
> providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
> Very repeatable. Have
> "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 — from file “Flash Player.plugin” "
>
> Any ideas? (One must have created a web sign in with his provider such
> as DIRECTV, Dish, Comcast, Verizon or one of a hundred others).

People on the Ubuntu newsgroup are discussing similar issues. It has
been suggested ISP could be a factor. Some posters say they were
successful using Linux.

--
*Hemidactylus*
-Majority of "job creators" didn't build public infrastructure

Lewis

In message <juudva$6pe$(E-Mail Removed)>
John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
> registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
> cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
> providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
> Very repeatable. Have
> "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 — from file “Flash Player.plugin” "

NBC uses Silverlight, as I recall from 2008.

--
And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew
them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does.

John McWilliams

On 7/27/12 PDT 11:42 AM, Lewis wrote:
> In message <juudva$6pe$(E-Mail Removed)>
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> For the life of me, and over a dozen tries, I cannot complete
>> registration on the nbcolympics.com web site. I've deleted all nbc
>> cookies, restarted Safari, and tried Chrome. It gives me a list of
>> providers, I choose DIRECTV, and then up pops a SignIn page, but blank.
>> Very repeatable. Have
>> "Shockwave Flash 11.3 r300 — from file “Flash Player.plugin”"

> NBC uses Silverlight, as I recall from 2008.

I do have Silverlight installed, perhaps I should delete and reinstall.
Comcrap may have a lot to do with this.

Thanks for all replies.

TaliesinSoft

Tonight I watched the olympic opening ceremonies on broadcast NBC and
it seemed as if about half of the time, perhaps a bit less, was taken
with commercials. A result was that a fair amount of the ceremonies
themselves were deleted, causing the appearance of a great many nations
to be deleted. I feel it would have been a great opportunity for NBC on
this special occasion to gain great publicity and public favor by
broadcasting the entire openiing ceremonies without commercial
interruptions. But I guess that is just wishful thinking on my part!

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

JF Mezei

TaliesinSoft wrote:
> Tonight I watched the olympic opening ceremonies on broadcast NBC

Sincere condolences. I don't understand why NBC keeps on bidding to
cover olympics when they knwo they are not interested in covering them.

Still remember the Sydney olympics. This was truly funny. On their
morning show, they were talking about how great the opening ceremonies
were going to be later that night. Problem is that the opening
ceremonies had already been done the night BEFORE and all of the world
except the USA had already seen them.

Glad to see that for the London 2012, they at least broadcasted the
ceremonies on the same day :-)

The olympics are going to be a thorn in the evolution of entertainment.
The IOC gets much of its revenue from selling rights to individual
legacy broadcasters and those rights are limited to their nation. So a
network in Canada buys rights, but it can't stream on the internet
unless it has geolocation to block viewers from other countries.

At the end of the day, the IOC will have to stream the content itself
and sell to individual users around the world and make money itself
instead of selling rights to legacy broadcasters who ruin the experience.

Legacy television is unable to cover the olympics becauyse there are so
many events at same time. Only the internet allows individual to watch
the sports they are interested in in full and unedited. (NBC wll spend
snippets on each sport, showin only american athletes with a cance of
winning a medal for instance).

Lewis

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tonight I watched the olympic opening ceremonies on broadcast NBC and
> it seemed as if about half of the time, perhaps a bit less, was taken
> with commercials. A result was that a fair amount of the ceremonies
> themselves were deleted, causing the appearance of a great many nations
> to be deleted.

NBC does this all the time. "No one cares about those other countries
anyway" seems to be the NBC motto for all international sports
broadcasts.

> I feel it would have been a great opportunity for NBC on
> this special occasion to gain great publicity and public favor by
> broadcasting the entire openiing ceremonies without commercial
> interruptions. But I guess that is just wishful thinking on my part!

NBC is horrible and their Olympics coverage has been horrible for
decades.

--
What beep from yonder speaker sounds?

Kurt Ullman

In article <501384e4$0$51153$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) om>,
JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> TaliesinSoft wrote:
> > Tonight I watched the olympic opening ceremonies on broadcast NBC

> Sincere condolences. I don't understand why NBC keeps on bidding to
> cover olympics when they knwo they are not interested in covering them.

They are interested in covering the commercials. Can't find the
article now, but NBC has all but sold out the rather large number of
commercial slots across platforms. Some really large amount of money.
the bastards."-- Claire Wolfe