Need advice re: dead hard drive

John Tomasi

Hi everyone,

I really need some impartial advice about how to proceed. My hard
drive has recently gone bye-bye ("Master hard disk fail" error message
from BIOS). It's a two-year-old system with the following specs:

Athlon XP 2100
Gigabyte KT400 m/b
40Gb Maxtor 7200 rpm h/d
ATI 9000 Pro 128 mb v/c

My question is, should I just replace the hard drive? I'm concerned
that its failure might indicate other problems within the system. I
also wonder whether a new drive might have conflicts with old-ish
components.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

John Tomasi

Mike Walsh

Replace the hard drive. It is possible, but very unlikely, that another component cause the drive to fail. You can use a 120 GB drive with no problems. You might need a BIOS upgrade to use a drive over 137 GB.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.