Need help installing IDE + SATA on P5K

Junior Member

I currently have a SATA primary harddrive and an IDE DVD-ROM drive (set to master). My motherboard is an ASUS P5K. Everything worked fine until I added another SATA harddrive (on SATA 2). The new SATA harddrive was detected correctly but the BIOS failed to detect the IDE drive. Did I do something wrong?

I checked the IDE cable, molex cable, and they are both secure. I tried connecting the 2nd harddrive to SATA3 and SATA4 but still no difference. Also tried all jumper settings on the IDE drive (cable select, master, slave) but still nothing. Also tried resetting to BIOS defaults. Worse of all, the BIOS now cannot detect the IDE drive even with ALL Sata drives disconnected.

I've run out of ideas, other than to buy a SATA DVDROM and hope for the best. Please help!